Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas City/St.Louis ve Charlotte/Raleigh
Kansas City/St.Louis 53 44.54%
Charlotte/Raleigh 59 49.58%
Equal/Tie 7 5.88%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM

923 posts, read 664,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstreetcarfan View Post
No. How old are you?
Do you know anything at all about KC?
There's no comparison of Raleigh NC to KCMO.
Kansas City is very similar in overall built environment to St Louis in both city's urban cores.
St Louis is more dense at the street level, KC has more and taller buildings.
Kansas City's Plaza District by itself is larger and has more amenities than all of downtown Raleigh.

KC Plaza District

KCMO urban core

KCMO Downtown

Raleigh North Carolina Downtown

I can do without the attitude.I dont think you comprehended what my statement was an answer to with all these picture that YOU think are impressive.
Truth is KC is more urban but its not as liveable as Raleigh and certainly not Charlotte.
KC has some great developments and has transformed itself but much of it is still old dilapidated,with empty lots of overgrown weeds and needing vast amounts of redevelopment.Something Raleigh has all over KC even if it is all new construction. Raliegh and Charlotte are booming on a level not seen by many cities.
So while KC is doing well.it will never catch up in our lifetimes unless oil is found nearby its borders
From the infrastructure,city aesthetics,etc,Raleigh is better.

If you want an urban city Id go with KC all day but if I had to make the decision Id pick Raleigh and I promise you im not crazy about Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 06:06 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
No. How old are you?
Kansas City is very similar in overall built environment to St Louis in both city's urban cores.
Kansas City's Plaza District by itself is larger and has more amenities than all of downtown Raleigh.

KC Plaza District

KCMO urban core

KCMO Downtown

Major fail. Raleigh is looking real good.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Kansas City has more flavor and is more exciting than Charlotte imo. Raleigh feels overrated here. I've never been to St Louis, but I've seen a lot going on there from friends. Didn't realize St Louis was that hip. Kansas City was a nice cool surprise and if the same exact city was placed in southeast, it'd be on fire.

Charlotte and Raleigh do win in location for me though as I'm a beach person. Living in the middle of the country so landlocked would be an adjustment for me. All 4 cities are livable and depends more on what you want. While Missouri would be an adjustment, I'm not in love with NC either.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM

195 posts, read 194,977 times
I prefer the NC cities. 10 years ago that wouldn't have been the case though.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 PM

195 posts, read 194,977 times
Quote:
No. How old are you?

KC Plaza District

KCMO urban core

KCMO Downtown

Honestly Raleigh looks better to me in those pics. But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:47 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I can do without the attitude.I dont think you comprehended what my statement was an answer to with all these picture that YOU think are impressive.
Truth is KC is more urban but its not as liveable as Raleigh and certainly not Charlotte.
KC has some great developments and has transformed itself but much of it is still old dilapidated,with empty lots of overgrown weeds and needing vast amounts of redevelopment.Something Raleigh has all over KC even if it is all new construction. Raliegh and Charlotte are booming on a level not seen by many cities.
So while KC is doing well.it will never catch up in our lifetimes unless oil is found nearby its borders
From the infrastructure,city aesthetics,etc,Raleigh is better.

If you want an urban city Id go with KC all day but if I had to make the decision Id pick Raleigh and I promise you im not crazy about Raleigh.
Change "Truth is" to "IMO" and you'll get no quarrel from me. De gustibus non disputandum est and all that, but if you're going to assert that as the truth rather than your opinion, you will get a quarrel from me.

I know that if KC hadn't followed the Western model of urban expansion and annexed its future suburban growth on the Missouri side, the city we'd be discussing now would be "in decline" the way its cross-state neighbor St. Louis is, for a good chunk of the old black part of the city has reverted to prairie and the rest of it has deteriorated since I grew up in it. The contrast between Kansas City's gleaming downtown and its troubled East Side has even become an issue in the mayoral contest (Kansas Citians choose their next mayor today).

But that notwithstanding, the QOL in the Kansas City area is quite high. It may no longer be "one of the few livable cities left," as its tourism promoters touted it in the 1970s (other cities that were depicted as on greased skids to Hell or something like that back then have rebounded), but it remains quite livable, with reasonable housing costs (even if downtown apartments rent for as much as those in the big Eastern downtowns), a lively entertainment scene, better historic architecture (IMO), a food and dining scene that goes well beyond its legendary barbecue (KC and NC both reside in the barbecue pantheon), and greenery that few US cities match thanks to its park and boulevard system (and I do know that no city in the Triangle has anything like it; I think you'd have to travel over to the Great Smokies and Asheville to see something that matches Kansas City's Cliff Drive if you lived in the Triangle).

I tend to approve of what I call "Instant Urbanist" suburban developments that seek to replicate the walkability and mixed uses of the cities they sit near, and I'd take Seaside or even Celebration over most places in Florida, but no, I don't agree that a place where everything's new is going to be superior to one that's been around the block several times. Time confers a certain sort of grace on a place, which would probably lead me to settle in Durham rather than Raleigh were I to live in the Triangle.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Economy - CLT/RDU
Education - CLT/RDU
Crime - CLT/RDU
Infrastructure - CLT/RDU (from what I've seen, CLT's/RDU's bridges and roads are better)
transportation - Tie. KCM/STL's public trans is better overall, but CLT/RDU's airports and roads are better.
Cost of living - KCM/STL
Quality of Life - CLT/RDU
Future - CLT/RDU
Overall - CLT/RDU by a good margin.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

232 posts, read 189,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Kansas City has more flavor and is more exciting than Charlotte imo. Raleigh feels overrated here. I've never been to St Louis, but I've seen a lot going on there from friends. Didn't realize St Louis was that hip. Kansas City was a nice cool surprise and if the same exact city was placed in southeast, it'd be on fire.

Charlotte and Raleigh do win in location for me though as I'm a beach person. Living in the middle of the country so landlocked would be an adjustment for me. All 4 cities are livable and depends more on what you want. While Missouri would be an adjustment, I'm not in love with NC either.
The first part might be true, since Charlotte is a much newer city. However, I disagree with it being more exciting, Downtown KC seemed pretty unexciting to me.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Soooo close for me. Both states are awesome. My own bias would go for MO (since I"m from the Midwest) but my objectivity would go for NC. I'd love to live in either state really though.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:41 AM

309 posts, read 307,416 times
Quote:
So you googled that they grew tobacco out there and no colleges... congrats.
Still never heard of it, still don't care.
Ummm...

Third grade geography should have introduced you to Raleigh, NC as it's been the capital of that state since LONG before Kansas, Missouri, or KC ever came into existence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City