Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro is the best, pound for pound.
Charlotte 4 7.69%
Atlanta 15 28.85%
DC 24 46.15%
Miami 7 13.46%
Tampa 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:38 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That’s impressive. I hadn’t heard of it, which is bad for me since much of the work I do is directly related to that. That being said, i do think the Tampa development will have more impact on its city itself, since nothing has really been going on there for some time. Atlanta and Miami have both been progressing in strides over the past decade (heck, even Orlando has surpassed Tampa) so I think the works in progress will be more impactful. (If I sound incoherent, sorry... one too many glasses of Malbec.)
I will have to look into the developments going on at Channelside in Tampa and yes as far as development downtown Tampa has been stagnant for years.
As for Orlando it's infill and cultural offerings have really exploded over the past decade and I applaud their efforts across the city.
However the downside is the continuous suburban sprawl in all directions and not enough transit options.
Orlando could use some light rail.

Charlotte reminds me of a mini-Atlanta which isn't saying much.

As for your glasses of Malbec?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:56 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
For this topic, it's saying a lot but obviously you don't know much about either city.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:08 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I suspect Tampa won't get much votes, but quite frankly, it deserves plenty. Channelside is undergoing a massive revamp that pretty much will change the entire face of the city. I don't think there is anything of such large scale currently going on in the other mentioned cities.
One thing Tampa doesn't seem to receive credit for either is the reclamation of many of the south Tampa neighborhoods over the last 30 years. It's frankly shocking (in a really good way) to see if you've bee absent from the scene for a while.
If you step back and consider the entire metro (St. Pete/Clearwater), it really becomes mind-boggling.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Aren’t these things already completed?

Well, the beltline isn’t, But Avalon and Buckhead Atlanta? What new is going up in these places? Buckhead Atlanta has to be small condo, I think.
They're all still works in progress. They'll be phasing out for some time to come.

Quote:
And Pinewood?
Pinewood is a massive project, encompassing not just the studio complex but the multi-use development as well. It really is the culmination of Georgia's burgeoning role in the film industry.

https://www.pinewoodgroup.com/studio...udios/about-us

https://www.pinewoodgroup.com/studio...ing-in-georgia

https://www.pinewoodforest.com

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Aren’t these things already completed?

Well, the beltline isn’t, But Avalon and Buckhead Atlanta? What new is going up in these places? Buckhead Atlanta has to be small condo, I think.

And Pinewood?
Streets of Buckhead main components are done but the area around it is now being developed as part of a cohesive area. Highrises are being built on every side.

Avalon -https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/3/14/14917606/avalon-hotel-conference-center-phase-two-alpharetta

Pinewood Forest
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/2/19...ter-renderings

Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I will have to look into the developments going on at Channelside in Tampa and yes as far as development downtown Tampa has been stagnant for years.
As for Orlando it's infill and cultural offerings have really exploded over the past decade and I applaud their efforts across the city.
However the downside is the continuous suburban sprawl in all directions and not enough transit options.

Only thing about Charlotte similar is its suburbs.The city of Atlanta and the city of Charlotte are totally different.All the way to the architecture of its buildings

Old 07-03-2018, 10:30 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Only thing about Charlotte similar is its suburbs.The city of Atlanta and the city of Charlotte are totally different.All the way to the architecture of its buildings
That's not true at all. The modern architecture in Charlotte's core is basically the same as that in Atlanta's core. Atlanta has more historic neighborhoods as it has long been the bigger city but the historic architecture in both cities is similar also. Grant Park, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, Ansley Park, Cabbagetown, Druid Hills, Candler Park, etc. are very similar to Fourth Ward, Dilworth, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Wilmore, Plaza-Midwood, Wesley Heights, NoDa, etc.

The two cities are distinct and are far from being twins but they certainly aren't "totally different" from each other either.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not true at all. The modern architecture in Charlotte's core is basically the same as that in Atlanta's core. Atlanta has more historic neighborhoods as it has long been the bigger city but the historic architecture in both cities is similar also. Grant Park, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, Ansley Park, Cabbagetown, Druid Hills, Candler Park, etc. are very similar to Fourth Ward, Dilworth, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Wilmore, Plaza-Midwood, Wesley Heights, NoDa, etc.

The two cities are distinct and are far from being twins but they certainly aren't "totally different" from each other either.
I was referring to the urban parts of the city.Yes its true the neighborhoods are very similar but Charlotte doesnt have areas like Fairlie Poplar, Sweet Auburn,Castleberry Hill.
I specifically said the "City of Atlanta" and the :suburbs" meaning neighborhoods.Also why I said architecture of "buildings'.
I should have been more clear I was refering to the CBD which of course is very different

Old 07-03-2018, 04:59 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Since COL is not a consideration, for me it goes:

DC
Miami
Atlanta
Tampa
Charlotte

DC is just solidly ahead in many of the categories, with Miami and Atlanta both leading the way in the "growth" areas. I just feel Miami has a slight edge.

Tampa does have Channelside but it's taken forever and likely will continue to phase slowly. And I disagree that it's on a greater scale than developments in DC, Miami or Atlanta...but I would say it will likely reshape its core more significantly.

TBH I dont know much about what's going on in Charlotte.
Miami isn't growing as much as it was in the early 2010's. In fact, in the state of Florida, Orlando and Tampa outgrew Miami in both raw numbers and percentage wise (last census).

I would switch Miami and Atlanta.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:02 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:

I currently live in Tampa, stationed at MacDill AFB and I have been to Charlotte numerous times. I would rank Charlotte slightly ahead of Tampa although it is not by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City