Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go to?
Toronto 14 41.18%
NYC 11 32.35%
Small town in New England 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Lake Simcoe looks nice from what I'm seeing on Google images. I could stop by there on the trip. And that's not a bad idea for a quick stop.
Yea, it'd also cut down on your travel time and you might meet people that can engage in both the Toronto and the Lake Simcoe part of the trip if they're also daytrippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:34 PM

154 posts, read 160,774 times
You can also Boston, Cape Cod, Newport RI, Marthas Vineyard and Mystic CT

Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 PM

395 posts, read 598,210 times
If you have been to NY within the last decade then go to Toronto. Great city, Niagara near by, and if possible make it a Toronto-Montreal trip. I don`t know about your budget but remember that going to Canada with your US$ is a 25% discount.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:15 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDfinest View Post
Hey everyone,

I haven't taken a vacation or been out of the DC area for 7 years now and I finally have the opportunity to in a few weeks

I've thought about taking a solo trip for a week to either Toronto, NYC or somewhere in New England to get my head clear and for a change of setting too.

Toronto- cool city, been on my bucket list for years. Just never been to and I could make a stop or two in Montreal or Niagara falls.

NYC- Closest to me but I haven't been in 10 years. Cool city too.

Small new england town- Could be the best in taking my mind off some things and I've also never been out there either.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
The Maine Coast, Cape Cod and the Islands, or the Lakes Regions of Maine or New New Hampshire is the answer to your question.

This is 52 years of living in the northeast US talking. NYC and Montreal are cool overnight or weekend destinations but that’s it! After the second day in NYC you’ll be ready to get the heck out.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It would be NYC by a country mile if you’ve never been, but you’ve been there in the last decade. While I haven’t been in ages, I’d pick Toronto if I were you. It’s probably my favorite city in the Great Lake region, even over Chicago. Niagara Falls is awesome, and I’ve heard Montreal is great for a feel of Europe in North America. No offense, but New England, or those saying head to upstate NY, is not my idea of a vacation after waiting seven years. Those are three day weekend trips, you need a real vacation after waiting this long.
Be willing to bet you’ve never been to New England.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Be willing to bet you’ve never been to New England.
On the contrary. I’ve been to Boston many times, and have taken multiple 1-2 day trips from there. Kennebunkport Maine, Portsmouth New Hampshire, and Cape Cod Massachusetts, are three of them that stand out. I have family throughout New York as well for my comment about upstate New York. I still stand by original comment given for the OP.

Unlike many on city data, I only comment on places or things I’m familiar with, or have been to on several occasions. If I’m including somewhere I’ve only been to once I’ll give that disclaimer too. For the record, if you went through some of my old posts you’d see I’m quite fond of the area.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
On the contrary. I’ve been to Boston many times, and have taken multiple 1-2 day trips from there. Kennebunkport Maine, Portsmouth New Hampshire, and Cape Cod Massachusetts, are three of them that stand out. I have family throughout New York as well for my comment about upstate New York. I still stand by original comment given for the OP.

Unlike many on city data, I only comment on places or things I’m familiar with, or have been to on several occasions. If I’m including somewhere I’ve only been to once I’ll give that disclaimer too. For the record, if you went through some of my old posts you’d see I’m quite fond of the area.
I'm glad that you stand out as someone who has been to the places that you are commenting about.

So, what is it about NYC that has you saying that it is better for a 7-day getaway than New England because I am stumped as to why anyone would have that opinion.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I'm glad that you stand out as someone who has been to the places that you are commenting about.

So, what is it about NYC that has you saying that it is better for a 7-day getaway than New England because I am stumped as to why anyone would have that opinion.
Yea, I think that statement needs to be qualified with the fact these two options cater to very different tastes rather than one just being better than the other.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:23 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

In terms of Upstate NY, it could be a matter of both versus an either/or situation. Meaning, there are some small, quaint places along the way to Toronto or Montreal that the OP could stay at to those bigger cities. That is no different than the suggestions for staying in a similar community in New England, then going to any of the big cities mentioned.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:

The OP hasn’t been on a vacation in seven years, and made no reference to a spouse or significant other. If I was in that situation I wouldn’t want to spend it in a small town in New England, I’d want some action. Now if the OP was celebrating a wedding anniversary I’d probably say head to New England. There’s rarely a clear cut answer. You look at the person, the situation at hand, and make suggestions accordingly.

With that said, you could easily spend a week in NYC and never run out of things to do, especially if you had the money to live it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City