Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you move?
Madison, WI 13 34.21%
Minneapolis, MN 25 65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 16,043 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I've posted a few times under other sub's but recently found this one and thought I'd maybe get more feedback. I'm a 26 year old male working in accounting/finance and I currently reside in a small city in Minnesota for a long-term engagement, but am from central Wisconsin. I graduated from UW-Milwukee, but did go to UW-Madison for my first semester and overall have been missing living in a larger city so I'm thinking about moving to Madison or Minneapolis.

In my line of work I can transfer to either city within my company and there are plentiful opportunities outside of my company from what I've seen. Salaries in Minneapolis appear to be about $5-10k higher than Madison for similar positions, but when I use cost of living calculators it looks like they have similar cost of livings. Looking at actual rent costs, Minneapolis is about $200-300/mo more for similar places. Being in accounting/finance I am very intrigued by the higher salary and amount of opportunities in the Minneapolis area.

One big thing for me is my family has an old cabin up north that I generally try to spend my summer weekends at/will be inheriting down the line. Madison would be 3 hours away and Minneapolis would be about 4 hours away. I question if even 3 hours is too much, but I don't know. I did it in college and it didn't seem to be a big deal, but wasn't working as much as I do now. Another concern would be the whole 'Minnesota Nice' stereotype is leaving me a bit uneasy as I don't know many people there.

Outside of working/summer weekends up north, I enjoy downhill skiing, golfing, grabbing drinks with friends, cars/car shows, exploring, etc. I used to be a very outdoorsy person and in my move I would like to get back to that. Based on the information provided, what do you think? I have discussed the possible move with my employer and they're open to it, I just have to decide where. Thanks!!!

Last edited by 1skibumm; 07-03-2018 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 01:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,866,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
Hi all! I've posted a few times under other sub's but recently found this one and thought I'd maybe get more feedback. I'm a 26 year old male working in accounting/finance and I currently reside in central Wisconsin. I went to school at UW-Madison and overall have been missing living in a larger city so I'm thinking about moving back or moving to Minneapolis.

In my line of work I can transfer to either city within my company and there are plentiful opportunities outside of my company from what I've seen. Salaries in Minneapolis appear to be about $5-10k higher than Madison for similar positions, but when I use cost of living calculators it looks like they have similar cost of livings. Looking at actual rent costs, Minneapolis is about $200-300/mo more for similar places. Being in accounting/finance I am very intrigued by the higher salary and amount of opportunities in the Minneapolis area.

One big thing for me is my family has an old cabin up north that I generally try to spend my summer weekends at/will be inheriting down the line. Madison would be 3 hours away and Minneapolis would be about 4 hours away. I question if even 3 hours is too much, but I don't know. I did it in college and it didn't seem to be a big deal, but wasn't working as much as I do now. Another concern would be the whole 'Minnesota Nice' stereotype is leaving me a bit uneasy as I don't know many people there.

Outside of working/summer weekends up north, I enjoy downhill skiing, golfing, grabbing drinks with friends, cars/car shows, exploring, etc. I used to be a very outdoorsy person and in my move I would like to get back to that. Based on the information provided, what do you think? I have discussed the possible move with my employer and they're open to it, I just have to decide where. Thanks!!!
You need to get your stories straight, first of all, OP. On the Wisconsin (Madison) Forum, you state that you currently live in Minnesota, and, "from what you know, Madison is a huge college town." Here, you're saying you went to UW Madison. Hard to respond to someone who is fabricating one of these stories. Here's your post from the Madison Forum:

Hi all! I’m a single 26 year old mail who works in accounting and I’m considering moving to Madison. I currently live in a small city in Minnesota and would like to get closer to my family. From what I know Madison is a huge college town....how does that impact living there as a young professional? Are there a lot of things to do outside of stuff the university is involved in? Also, what are your thoughts on the Fitchburg area for someone my age? What’s the dating scene like? Any other opinions or suggestions to help me in my decision to come to Madison or not? If I don’t end up moving to Madison I’m likely going to Chicago. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You need to get your stories straight, first of all, OP. On the Wisconsin (Madison) Forum, you state that you currently live in Minnesota, and, "from what you know, Madison is a huge college town." Here, you're saying you went to UW Madison. Hard to respond to someone who is fabricating one of these stories. Here's your post from the Madison Forum:

Hi all! I’m a single 26 year old mail who works in accounting and I’m considering moving to Madison. I currently live in a small city in Minnesota and would like to get closer to my family. From what I know Madison is a huge college town....how does that impact living there as a young professional? Are there a lot of things to do outside of stuff the university is involved in? Also, what are your thoughts on the Fitchburg area for someone my age? What’s the dating scene like? Any other opinions or suggestions to help me in my decision to come to Madison or not? If I don’t end up moving to Madison I’m likely going to Chicago. Thanks!
I'm not a good troll....In all seriousness I did go to UW for a semester 8 years ago, then transferred to UW Milwaukee. I'm from Central Wisconsin, but am currently located in Minnesota due to a long-term client I'm working on that ends this month. As for Chicago, I decided I am going either Madison or Minneapolis as it's closer to my family. Sorry for being unclear.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,866,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skibumm View Post
I'm not a good troll
At least, you admit it. That's worth something. What's your goal.....to bash one city, or another?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
At least, you admit it. That's worth something. What's your goal.....to bash one city, or another?
Please see comment above. I revised my comment. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:14 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,443,992 times
Quote:
I think his post was the best way to elicit responses. "tell me about ____ I have no experience" is better than "I used to live there."

Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think his post was the best way to elicit responses. "tell me about ____ I have no experience" is better than "I used to live there."
Thank you. I wasn't intending to deceive anyone. I'm just looking for unbiased feedback as this decision is really troubling me.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,314,355 times
Madison

Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times
St Paul

Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
This is not an easy one, at all. Madison is very nice, and closer to Chicago, but the Twin Cities are really coming into their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City