U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better for living?
Atlanta 44 51.16%
San Diego 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times

Advertisements

About 10 years ago there was a poll between the two cities and Atlanta got crushed. Let's see how much has changed since then. Here are the categories:

- Weather
- Scenery
- Safely
- Cost of living
- Transportation
- Architecture
- Culture
- Nightlife
- Food scene
- Education

Of course San Diego will win in the safety category, but Atlanta would win the cost of living category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 PM

27,720 posts, read 24,737,149 times
I think most of the things that give SD the advantage over Atlanta (for those who voted for SD) haven't changed (e.g., weather, culture, location, etc).

Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
- Weather: San Diego
- Scenery: San Diego
- Safety: San Diego but not by a ton
- Cost of living: Atlanta
- Transportation: San Diego
- Architecture: Atlanta
- Culture: Atlanta
- Nightlife: Atlanta
- Food scene: Atlanta
- Education: Atlanta

I think Atlanta wins it for me. San Diego seems rather sleepy, if I'm being honest, compared to Atlanta. There is not as much dynamic energy or vibe of a "happeng city" there.
San Diego's weather is prime, the mountains and coast are prime. But it's not booming like Atlanta jobs-wise/economy-wise. Taxes in CA are going up, real estate up, salaries level.

Atlanta wins due to easier cost of living overall, and better jobs/economy.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,603,309 times
Loved my 2 years in Atlanta when I got my MBA from Emory in the early 80’’s and have been back a few times since...Atlanta assets would be COL, food, education....San Diego has driving access to LA, Vegas, Phoenix, mountains, desert and TJ, but Atlanta has access to nice places as well—Savannah, Callaway Gardens, Athens, Charlotte, Charleston, Pensacola, great white water rafting, Great Smoky Mountains, etc....traffic worse in Atlanta but also access to major hub airport with more direct flights, including international. Very good sports town. Good economy/opportunities/corporate presence in Atlanta. San Diego climate and access to ocean superior to Atlanta (Lake Lanier doesn’t cut it)....love the people in Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 PM

15,677 posts, read 3,108,907 times
I would choose Atlanta to live in over San Diego

Old 07-10-2018, 12:45 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
San Diego for me. Atlanta is landlocked and too far from the beach.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:53 AM

12,892 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 AM

860 posts, read 467,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
About 10 years ago there was a poll between the two cities and Atlanta got crushed. Let's see how much has changed since then. Here are the categories:
I grew up in San Diego back in the 80s and 90s and lived in Atlanta for about a decade starting in the mid-2000s. I lived in Los Angeles for awhile a few years back and would visit San Diego quite a bit. San Diego seems to be a lot sleepier and laid-back, and other cities in the region like Las Vegas and Phoenix feel more dynamic and have grown a lot over the past 30 years. Vegas is catching up with SD in some ways plus Phoenix has surpassed it quite a bit. The weather, beaches and scenery practically sell themselves in San Diego, and that isn't changing in the foreseeable future.

However, the city punches below its weight economically due to the strong military presence (the biomedical field there is relatively small in comparison) and the big monster of LA to the north and tech being centered in Silicon Valley/Bay Area even further north. Salaries are also lower compared to LA/OC and the Bay Area and don't keep up with the cost of living. Atlanta has finally recovered from its Great Recession woes and has a lot of corporate relocations and a far more diverse economy than San Diego. Due to its location, its a large logistics and transportation hub, serves as a tech hub of the southeast, and a large financial center (although Charlotte is more substantial in this category), and a hub for government jobs as well as manufacturing. A lot of people don't like Atlanta due to it being in the South, in a red state, and all the misconceptions and stereotypes that come with that, compared to the more positive perception San Diego gets. Also, some people have a problem with its demographics and dismiss Atlanta as being "ghetto," and dismiss the city and metro area outright. Its unfortunate, but that's the world we're in now...

Location-wise, San Diego is a good due to its proximity to Los Angeles, Orange County, the Mountains, Mexico, and Las Vegas. Atlanta is no slouch with it being within a 2-hour flight of 80% of the nation's population, but there aren't any significant cities of comparable size within a reasonable drive (yes, there are several mid-sized metro areas like Nashville or Charlotte though), and while it's very close to the mountains, the closest beaches are about 4-5 hours away depending on whether you go to Tybee Island or to the beaches along Florida's Panhandle. I'm currently in the DC area and even though the closest beaches are 2-3.5 hours away, I find myself heading to the coast more here than I ever did in Atlanta.

- Weather - San Diego
- Scenery - San Diego, but Atlanta is no slouch if you prefer greenery
- Safety - San Diego
- Cost of living - Atlanta
- Transportation - San Diego (it has the Trolley and Commuter Rail). People in metro Atlanta still complain about paying taxes to extend MARTA
- Architecture - Atlanta
- Culture - Atlanta
- Nightlife - Atlanta
- Food scene - Atlanta
- Education - Atlanta

Old 07-10-2018, 06:11 AM

2,248 posts, read 1,603,309 times
With respect to safety SD wins from a crime standpoint. Atlanta wins on public health safety. As a result of the huge SD homeless population there was a citywide hepatitis epidemic last year and there currently is a shigella outbreak this year. Meanwhile, sewage spills from the Tijuana River have effected SD’s southern beaches for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Of course San Diego will win in the safety category, but Atlanta would win the cost of living category.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-10-2018 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 PM

402 posts, read 227,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
With respect to safety SD wins from a crime standpoint. Atlanta wins on public health safety. As a result of the huge SD homeless population there was a citywide hepatitis epidemic last year and there currently is a shigella outbreak this year. Meanwhile, sewage spills from the Tijuana River have effected SDs southern beaches for years.
These are two ridiculous statements. There was no "citywide hepatitis epidemic" last year. There was an outbreak of Hepatitis among the homeless population but so far as anyone can tell, no one outside that population was affected/infected. The shigella outbreak is a nationwide issue, though a number of local health authorities issued warnings. This is not unique to SD.

You're becoming a certifiable troll on the topic of San Diego, elchevre!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or