Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area offers the most per the post
Uptown Charlotte 13 15.12%
Downtown Atl 38 44.19%
Downtown Nashville 35 40.70%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:57 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Yeah, downtown Atlanta wins pretty easily.

In another 3-5 years, downtown Atlanta will most likely be completely different than today, in a much more positive way. Major projects are in works and it should be much more dynamic, with more people living there, and more of a 24/7 neighborhood.

Watch--it will continue to boom even much more I predict.

Here is a terrific map from Curbed.com of the current projects under development now, or planned for downtown Atlanta:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/down...ments-map-2018

With the metro area of Atlanta at 6 million now, and to be hurling fast towards 7 million by 2030, downtown can only get more dense with development and people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Luxury/urban living options probably goes to Uptown Charlotte or downtown Nashville. More residential projects have happened there as of late compared to downtown Atlanta, and the newer stuff is usually luxury.

If considering around-the-clock pedestrian activity, downtown Nashville probably takes that.

I also think dining options goes to either downtown Nashville and uptown Charlotte.

What hurts Atlanta in matchups like these is that both downtown and midtown function as traditional downtowns, but midtown has been the recipient of most of the investment over the past two decades or so. Outside of developments associated with landing the Olympics and the recently-opened Mercedes-Benz Stadium, most of the investment in downtown Atlanta has come from Georgia State instead of private developers. However, downtown Atlanta has some huge redevelopment projects in the works (Underground, south downtown, Norfolk Southern building) that, along with the development of the Gulch, will result in some pretty substantial changes for downtown Atlanta which is unquestionably more classically urban than downtown Nashville and uptown Charlotte. Neither has an answer for Fairlie-Poplar district or the Five Points MARTA station.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Luxury/urban living options probably goes to Uptown Charlotte or downtown Nashville. More residential projects have happened there as of late compared to downtown Atlanta, and the newer stuff is usually luxury.

If considering around-the-clock pedestrian activity, downtown Nashville probably takes that.

I also think dining options goes to either downtown Nashville and uptown Charlotte.

What hurts Atlanta in matchups like these is that both downtown and midtown function as traditional downtowns, but midtown has been the recipient of most of the investment over the past two decades or so. Outside of developments associated with landing the Olympics and the recently-opened Mercedes-Benz Stadium, most of the investment in downtown Atlanta has come from Georgia State instead of private developers. However, downtown Atlanta has some huge redevelopment projects in the works (Underground, south downtown, Norfolk Southern building) that, along with the development of the Gulch, will result in some pretty substantial changes for downtown Atlanta which is unquestionably more classically urban than downtown Nashville and uptown Charlotte. Neither has an answer for Fairlie-Poplar district or the Five Points MARTA station.
I’m glad you see my point. If you splice away Midtown, there’s not much there from a resident perspective. Fairlie is nice, but it closes down after the work day. You take few steps south of that... and it is homeless people and more close hood looking shops with the metal roll down doors over them.

Both DT Nash and Uptown beat downtown Atl as far as living.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I’m glad you see my point. If you splice away Midtown, there’s not much there from a resident perspective. Fairlie is nice, but it closes down after the work day. You take few steps south of that... and it is homeless people and more close hood looking shops with the metal roll down doors over them.

Both DT Nash and Uptown beat downtown Atl as far as living.
Agreed. Both have a better day-to-day living quality than downtown Atlanta which doesn't yet have a full-service grocery store.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Nashville

Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Eateries/Dinning options: Nashville
Luxury/urban living options: Atlanta
Transit : Atlanta
Energy/pedestrian activity: Nashville
Most potential for future growth: Nashville
Shopping: Atlanta

Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Luxury/urban living options: Atlanta
Nah. It's one of the other two options.

Quote:
Shopping: Atlanta
Not sure about downtown Nashville, but this isn't a strong suit of the other two.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
I’m not the biggest fan of Charlotte, but the luxury living probably goes to uptown. And Atlanta doesn’t really have shopping downtown, except a few urban stores. I feel like Charlotte is being heavily slept on in this specific thread.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nah. It's one of the other two options.
At this point it may be Charlotte or Atlanta. Atlanta seems to have a higher concentration. Nashville has luxury options but no amenities, so that drops it out of the ranking for me. Charlotte and Atlanta have grocery stores, everyday retail, *coughs mass transit*, etc. A luxury penthouse looking over a padlocked corner store and riff raff walking at all hours of the night is not my idea of luxury lifestyle.

Quote:
Not sure about downtown Nashville, but this isn't a strong suit of the other two.
It is definitely not a strong suit for Nashville either.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I’m not the biggest fan of Charlotte, but the luxury living probably goes to uptown. And Atlanta doesn’t really have shopping downtown, except a few urban stores. I feel like Charlotte is being heavily slept on in this specific thread.
Charlotte has improved substantially in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City