Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's definitely easier to afford the list price in Manhattan, but what about the HOA/co-op fees that are usually attached? I feel like with most places in Manhattan being condos/co-ops/etc. that the fees are what might do people in.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/7/9/17548...tment-for-sale

With SF, a lot of the buildings in some very large neighborhoods like the Richmond and the Sunset are attached homes with garages. Those are always going to be worth more. But do the condos/flats in the more urban areas have as high monthly fees?

That said, once you leave Manhattan, it's really not that bad for what you get. Inner parts of BK like Cobble Hill and DUMBO can be pricey, but outer neighborhoods like Bensonhurst, Sunset Park, Flatbush, Crown Heights, etc. are really not so expensive when you consider what you can get. Detached or semi-detached homes with driveways/garages within the city limits of NYC still with the same 24/7 subway access and decent nightlife/shopping options. Just beyond the city limits in Hudson County, you can find similar housing stock in Hoboken and Jersey City still with 24/7 subway access into Manhattan, and at a cheaper cost. Without 24/7 subway access, but decent bus lines into PABT for commuting purposes, you also have Weehawken, Cliffside, Edgewater, Ft Lee, and Englewood where varying housing types can be found all for a lower cost than most similar neighborhoods in NYC. Kearny and North Arlington are a mix and have decent transit access as well into Manhattan.

As for the Bay, the home prices never drop off like they do in the outer boroughs or the NYC metro. When people in NJ talk about high home prices, I can't believe what they consider "expensive" after coming from LA. At one point I was thinking they were talking about a home over $1mil. Turns out it was $800k and that shocked everyone here.

Tl;dr: Outside of Manhattan, the NYC metro is quite affordable compared to CA. Manhattan prices may possibly be deflated due to basically everything being a condo/co-op with monthly fees.
How about Connecticut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 01:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How about Connecticut?
I admittedly don't know much about CT. I know NYC, LI, North Jersey, and some of the Hudson Valley. But if I were to take a guess, I'd say the home prices there and the vibe would be similar to North Bay/Marin County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City