Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which alternate reality city looked more appealing
San Francisco 22 55.00%
New York City 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times

Advertisements

Although not an option in the poll, i would be in Canon City in the Neutral zone. I am a minority and wouldn't have lasted in NYC with the Nazis or the Kenpeitai in the Pacific States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:24 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Although not an option in the poll, i would be in Canon City in the Neutral zone. I am a minority and wouldn't have lasted in NYC with the Nazis or the Kenpeitai in the Pacific States.
I wish it took place in Denver, but I'm assuming that Denver didn't really exist in this alternate reality. I could actually seeing a place like Denver or SLC being the biggest city in the former United States because of all the people fleeing the Japanese and Germans. Canon City seemed underdeveloped, almost like the Germans and Japanese kept it that way to keep the neutral zone dependent on both of them.

BTW, new season is coming out October 6. I'm excited for it.

Quote:
I just became addicted to this series and have watched a bunch already. I find NYC very depressing and industrial looking, except for Long Island where the collaborators live. SF looks like Chinatown all the time, but the hills and sunshine look nice and the downtown, but with loads of I guess re-settled Japanese everywhere.
Yeah, I don't know whether it was a lack of imagination on the creator's part or lack of resources or whatever, but they really didn't do too much with NYC except putting German signs everywhere and swastikas. SF they took time with, but that's probably because there was more detail about it in the book. I would have loved to see what DC/Philly/Boston would have looked like, but DC was nuked. And LA/Seattle/San Diego could have had lots of potential.

Quote:
The inspiration for the original 1962 book was a book titled "Bring The Jubilee" which had an alternative history where the Confederacy defeated the Union Army at Gettysburg and went on to occupy the Western US and all of South America, and aligned themselves with the Nazis of course.
I just looked it up. I'll order a copy of the book! Western North America under a Confederate administration would have most likely left it much less developed since the South was not nearly as dependent on industrial goods as the North was, bringing on less of a need to build railroads out in that direction. But thankfully, we never had to find out.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:46 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Update: Chicago and Denver have now been featured on the show.

Denver is probably my choice.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I didn't think the Kenpeitai persecuted minorities? Could be wrong.

But overall, Japanese > Nazis. Unless it gets nuked in season three, San Francisco all the way.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I didn't think the Kenpeitai persecuted minorities? Could be wrong.

But overall, Japanese > Nazis. Unless it gets nuked in season three, San Francisco all the way.

They certainly didn't have a genocidal Holocaust. But, Japan was a brutal colonial occupier that certainly viewed non-Japanese as inferior.

Of course, in practice it is hard to know how Nazi or the Japanese would have controlled the US. Nazi's viewed Slavs (central/eastern Europeans) as racial inferior and planned to enslave them. Its unclear if that would have carried over to the US? Fortunately we never found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City