U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better
calgary 31 67.39%
edmonton 10 21.74%
winnipeg 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:25 AM

209 posts, read 378,218 times

Advertisements

Statistically Winnipeg loses on nearly every front...………..crime, transit, wages, weather, isolation, population growth, poverty...………...you name it and Winnipeg is bottom of the barrel of the 3. That said we don`t live in a statistical world.

However when it comes to the arts, culture, history, architecture, bohemian attitude, music, soul, history, grit, and character, Winnipeg wins the day. In most of those categories it also blows Vancouver out of the water. It`s the kind of place you go to unexpectedly and leave thing `what a cool little city`.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 AM

18 posts, read 2,588 times
Edmonton

Biggest mall in North America
Biggest football stadium in Canada
Biggest baseball stadium in Canada outside of Toronto
New Arena
Not prone to flooding like Calgary
No building height restrictions anymore
Actually has a subway system (Calgary has 1 underground station, is building 2 more)
Tallest building in Canada outside of Toronto
Developing a large modern residential district
More diverse economy than Calgary

All that Calgary can boast of is a slightly higher population, a taller skyline, and hosting the Olympics in '88

I use to think Calgary was cooler. The things that tipped the scales for me were Calgary's disinterest in replacing it's 35 year old arena, lack of interest in baseball, lack of subways, and flooding.
In my mind, Edmonton is more Relevant to Canada. What do I know though, I'm from Connecticut.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 PM

180 posts, read 93,384 times
Someone told me Edmonton used to be called Deadmonton because of crime. Is it still that way or has it cleaned up? The person that told me this visited there in the 80s.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 AM

209 posts, read 378,218 times
No Edmonton remains one of Canada's most violent cities but I have NEVER heard it referred that way due to it's murders. Edmonton has a reputation as being unattractive, unappealing, and very boring and THIS is why it is called Deadmonton and/or Ed-mono-tone...………...take your pic, both are applicable.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:28 PM

180 posts, read 93,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
No Edmonton remains one of Canada's most violent cities but I have NEVER heard it referred that way due to it's murders. Edmonton has a reputation as being unattractive, unappealing, and very boring and THIS is why it is called Deadmonton and/or Ed-mono-tone...………...take your pic, both are applicable.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:26 AM

673 posts, read 279,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
That’s a biased, and I would argue, unfair and inaccurate assessment of Edmonton.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

11,961 posts, read 8,265,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Someone told me Edmonton used to be called Deadmonton because of crime. Is it still that way or has it cleaned up? The person that told me this visited there in the 80s.
In a city of nearly one million, they had 27 murders in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or