Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the cleanest and safest downtown?
Chicago 22 26.19%
Charlotte 7 8.33%
San Jose 10 11.90%
Denver 8 9.52%
San Diego 13 15.48%
Minneapolis 18 21.43%
Indianapolis 3 3.57%
Portland 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

The only ones on this list I've been to are Denver and San Diego.

Most major cities I've been to have downtowns that were run down and at least felt somewhat unsafe. Even New Orleans where the police do have a big presence in the Quarter, the CBD and the Garden District and its not as well kept as it should be though its hard with drunk tourists and also the more ghetto locals who have no respect.

I'd say the cities with the most well kept and clean downtowns I've visited are Columbus, San Diego, Dallas, and Fort Worth. I've also never felt unsafe in these cities. Depending on your definition of downtown Washington DC its also very well kept, in fact most of Southwest and Northwest DC have been cleaned up quite well due to gentrification though the bad stuff simply has been pushed elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM

413 posts, read 323,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
As someone who has lived in Chicago and currently lives in Minneapolis, I can say they both are clean and safe for the most part. However, Minneapolis feels really sketchy along Hennepin Ave, which is the nightlife/restaurant strip downtown. There are drugs openly being sold and many young trouble makers hanging out(even with a huge police presence!). I frequent Hennepin quite often for nightlife and I don't walk around in fear, but I'm aware of what's going around me. On rare occasions, people shoot after the bars and clubs close, but overall Minneapolis feels rather safe, just not as safe as downtown Chicago.

Regarding Minneapolis, its really only an issue at night, specifically weekend nights during warm weather. Huge police presence does help a lot, but it does feel sketchy at times.

As a downtown Minneapolis resident, I would concur with your assessment. The area in particular around the Warehouse District LRT station always raises my consciousness level for the reasons you mentioned. I would add that this is at 7:30 on a weekday evening as I'm walking home from a downtown commitment each week. No doubt the sketchy feeling picks up after dark on weekends and especially, after bar close. Fortunately, my bar days are long over and I'm in bed at 2:30 a.m. each night.

Other than around that particular LRT station and perhaps for a block or two in each direction, I believe downtown Minneapolis feels very safe. Like many cities, you only have to walk a couple of blocks to go from that to upscale condos, restaurants, sporting events, etc.

Of course, it's no San Jose but what is??

Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Anyone who voted for Minneapolis, clearly has not been downtown. If you haven't been there, you shouldn't be voting for it.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:34 AM

574 posts, read 688,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
As a downtown Minneapolis resident, I would concur with your assessment. The area in particular around the Warehouse District LRT station always raises my consciousness level for the reasons you mentioned. I would add that this is at 7:30 on a weekday evening as I'm walking home from a downtown commitment each week. No doubt the sketchy feeling picks up after dark on weekends and especially, after bar close. Fortunately, my bar days are long over and I'm in bed at 2:30 a.m. each night.

Other than around that particular LRT station and perhaps for a block or two in each direction, I believe downtown Minneapolis feels very safe. Like many cities, you only have to walk a couple of blocks to go from that to upscale condos, restaurants, sporting events, etc.

Of course, it's no San Jose but what is??

I agree with this 100 percent. Minneapolis feels completely safe outside of that area (specifically around the warehouse district LRT station).

Old 07-25-2018, 10:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I notice on social media that the people who talk the most trash about Chicago are not from here and have never been here. I can tell by their ignorant comments that they have never set foot in Chicago.
That's usually the case with any location. People seem to have the strongest opinions about places they've never even been .

Old 07-25-2018, 05:54 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
The Topper has done a disservice to real advocates of downtown San Jose with all these garbage polls. Downtown SJ is small and low-rise for a city its size and it has relatively weak adjacent neighborhoods, but it's more pedestrian-oriented and active than a lot of other sunbelt downtowns, including Phoenix, Dallas, and several others.

In terms of safest downtown on this list, I'd choose San Diego.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 07-25-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
The Topper has done a disservice to real advocates of downtown San Jose with all these garbage polls. Downtown SJ is small and low-rise for a city its size and it has relatively weak adjacent neighborhoods, but it's more pedestrian-oriented and active than a lot of other sunbelt downtowns, including Phoenix, Dallas, and several others.

In terms of safest downtown on this list, I'd choose San Diego.
I do agree it has a weak adjacent neighborhoods; however, it's improving a lot, like Alameda and Japantown, which are cool and fun to hang out. I don't agree that downtown is small at all. When were you there? It has gotten big with lots of high and mid rise construction over the last 7 years.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I assume this is sarcasm? I don't understand the meaning of posting that...
Ok, meant it's more fun than Chicago's Loop, original downtown core: with much more activity, especially at nights/ weekends. Yeah, I know Millenium Park and State st. shopping area, but Downtown SJ is on a tear! Check it out. It's very clean and safe, too.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
WTF.....I've been to downtown San Jose and I'll actually be there again for a wedding in a few weeks. Have you been to Chicago? No offense but that statement is just silly.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Minneapolis shouldn't almost be leading this poll. It isn't a dangerous city in general but downtown has some issues. I've been to three of the downtowns in this poll - Minneapolis, Denver and Chicago. Minneapolis is probably the least safe of the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City