Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern Influence
Miami 36 52.94%
Washington DC 32 47.06%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:30 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol, Two peas in a pot
Don't remind me. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,388,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You didn't just classify Baltimore as the DMV did you?
Woah there now cowboy, I clearly stated, “and the rest of the DMV...”

DC, Baltimore, and the DMV

Old 07-31-2018, 04:52 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Woah there now cowboy, I clearly stated, “and the rest of the DMV...”

DC, Baltimore, and the DMV
I feel you, but if I had to ask, then you weren't clear enough.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,765,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
For what it’s worth, this site is the only place where I’ve seen DC consistently referred to as the south. I’ve never met anyone in real life feels this way.
Where are you from? I think that can make a huge difference. I have a lot of friends from NY/NJ who constantly refer to MD and DC as "down South." To be fair, I also know a good number of people from mostly NJ/PA that do not refer to MD/DC as Southern (but it is pretty much split down the middle). Again, nobody from the northeast will confuse MD/DC with Mississippi, Alabama, or the Deep South.

Many people in the Midwest consider MD/DC to be the South. In fact, I was living in Michigan when UMD entered the Big Ten, and on the radio they were mentioning how "you know college football has really changed when you have a Southern state in the Big Ten " (paraphrasing). It was a really big topic.

If you ask people from the deep/deeper South, they will likely not consider MD/DC southern. If you ask people from the west coast, they will probably consider MD/DC to be the "east coast."

I think where you're from has a lot to do with it. I grew up in the MD/DC area and know a lot of people who consider it the South (which it technically is), but more in a "down South" way rather than a "deep South" way, if that makes sense.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:16 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,889,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Where are you from? I think that can make a huge difference. I have a lot of friends from NY/NJ who constantly refer to MD and DC as "down South." To be fair, I also know a good number of people from mostly NJ/PA that do not refer to MD/DC as Southern (but it is pretty much split down the middle). Again, nobody from the northeast will confuse MD/DC with Mississippi, Alabama, or the Deep South.

Many people in the Midwest consider MD/DC to be the South. In fact, I was living in Michigan when UMD entered the Big Ten, and on the radio they were mentioning how "you know college football has really changed when you have a Southern state in the Big Ten " (paraphrasing). It was a really big topic.

If you ask people from the deep/deeper South, they will likely not consider MD/DC southern. If you ask people from the west coast, they will probably consider MD/DC to be the "east coast."

I think where you're from has a lot to do with it. I grew up in the MD/DC area and know a lot of people who consider it the South (which it technically is), but more in a "down South" way rather than a "deep South" way, if that makes sense.
I grew up in NYC, with a few years in Richmond. My adult life has been mostly split between NY, Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh. I’ve never heard anyone call DC southern. As far as MD to the Big 10 goes, I think sports throw off geography. Maryland had been an ACC program for so long, I could see how one might consider it a Southern school.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And its also at the doorstep of the Northeast. You go just a little while north and its a different world. (not to say the north wasn't racist too, of course) You go a little north of Miami and... its all deep south.

And if we're gonna bring up culture and history, then maybe we should also discuss climate. Come January, which do you think feels more southern? lol.
Honestly, MOST of the South gets cold in the winter. Even most parts of Florida. Miami's climate is not only an anomaly for the US, it's an anomaly in Florida and the South as a whole. Miami's climate, foliage, and architecture are like nowhere else in the US. Clearly, I think Miami is more culturally Southern than DC because of my previous argument. But there are specific things about Miami that make it standout from most of the South and the US as a whole. People in Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston and other warm climates vacation to Miami in the winter, because Miami is one of the few cities that constantly sits at 65 and above in the middle of winter, even at night time. Even Houston, NO, Savannah, Orlando, etc dip to 45 during winter nights. Even then, Miami is susceptible to cold fronts and cold snaps. Climate wise, I'd say cold weather doesn't make a city seem more Northern. It snows annually in Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Richmond, etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don’t think you understand the history in Bahamians in Miami. The story of black Miami is Bahamian. And that’s long before other Afro-Caribbean immigrants came.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamian_Americans

Find me a fourth-generation Miamian, and I all but guarantee that person is black and of Caribbean origin. Bahamians literally predate permanent white settlement in Miami.
Alot of those Bahamians have been in Miami since before and maybe a little bit after AA's emancipation. Some have been here since the slave trade. Those Bahamians are every bit as Southern as your average AA. At what point to they not be seen as Caribbean over Southern? They been here since before emancipation of AA's. That's like saying an Black person from New Orleans with Haitian roots dating back to the 1800's isn't AA, who's family has been here since the 1800's isn't AA or a Southerner. They'll look at you crazy. Most Black Bahamians in Miami who's family has been there since before Miami was even established as a city, would tell you they are Southerners.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:07 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,349,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Honestly, MOST of the South gets cold in the winter. Even most parts of Florida. Miami's climate is not only an anomaly for the US, it's an anomaly in Florida and the South as a whole. Miami's climate, foliage, and architecture are like nowhere else in the US. Clearly, I think Miami is more culturally Southern than DC because of my previous argument. But there are specific things about Miami that make it standout from most of the South and the US as a whole. People in Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston and other warm climates vacation to Miami in the winter, because Miami is one of the few cities that constantly sits at 65 and above in the middle of winter, even at night time. Even Houston, NO, Savannah, Orlando, etc dip to 45 during winter nights. Even then, Miami is susceptible to cold fronts and cold snaps. Climate wise, I'd say cold weather doesn't make a city seem more Northern. It snows annually in Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Richmond, etc.
Which is why I always laugh when someone from the south laughs at people walking in snow in Philly and NYC.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,349,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Alot of those Bahamians have been in Miami since before and maybe a little bit after AA's emancipation. Some have been here since the slave trade. Those Bahamians are every bit as Southern as your average AA. At what point to they not be seen as Caribbean over Southern? They been here since before emancipation of AA's. That's like saying an Black person from New Orleans with Haitian roots dating back to the 1800's isn't AA, who's family has been here since the 1800's isn't AA or a Southerner. They'll look at you crazy. Most Black Bahamians in Miami who's family has been there since before Miami was even established as a city, would tell you they are Southerners.
And the Bahamians in the Bahamas wouldn’t even claim them today. They are all Yankees to them!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 AM

10,111 posts, read 15,771,374 times
Washington DC started as a Southern city whose culture has been completely diluted by transplants and immigrants.

Miami started out as a Northern outpost that is now a foreign, Latin American/Cuban city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City