Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs. MTL?
Atlanta 34 31.19%
Montreal 75 68.81%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Thats still not my idea of suburban.This is suburban
https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...!4d-84.2596515
Gotcha... This is more what I envision when I think suburban

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5122...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:59 PM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Gotcha... This is more what I envision when I think suburban

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5122...7i13312!8i6656
Cities like Montreal have developed longer so even their suburbs are more developed with sidewalks and transist everywhere unlike suburbs in most of the U.S> outside of the Northeast and older cities like New Orleans

Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 PM

I totally get why people love Montreal.I fell in love with it the first and everytime I go there but Atlanta just checks off more boxes for me.
I prefer the weather
Culture is a tie for me.
Post Education.With so many choices in Atlanta,I dont see how anyone could say any different
Urbanity-Montreal all day
Nightlife-I honestly see it as a tie

Im gonna get flack for this but for food Id give Atlanta,I can get any foods in Atlanta easily than I can in Montreal but not the other way around.I can find plenty of places for Poutine in Atlanta but hard to find good soul food ,good Mexican,Nigerian etc.Im not saying you cant find it but its very hard in Montreal. Modcut: Toronto is not part of this thread.

Last edited by JMT; 08-01-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That bolded statement gets thrown around a lot even though it's simply not true. Montreal is the 4th-largest French-speaking city in the world, after Kinshasa, Paris, and Abidjan. Dakar and Casablanca will probably surpass Montreal at some point in the not-too-distant future, too. But that's all off topic to this thread.

I normally try to stay out of the fray, being a moderator, but I voted for Montreal. As much as I love Atlanta (and I do), I have to go with Montreal on this one, particularly given the OP's parameters. And to whoever said Montreal isn't friendly, that's not been my experience at all. Every single time I've been to Montreal I was blown away by how friendly everyone was. Then again, I'm also half French, so there's no language barrier. A close friend who lived in Montreal but does not speak French discovered that francophone Montrealers were ice cold to him when he addressed them in English until he learned to first apologize for not speaking French and for also explaining that he was American, not Canadian. Then they warmed up instantly to him, and all was forgiven.

I'll also say that Montrealers are, over all, the most beautiful people I've ever seen. It's like every woman is a fashion model, and every man is a handsome lumberjack. It's not fair.

One of the reasons I love Montreal is that it's such a cosmopolitan city. Atlanta is becoming much more cosmpolitan, but it pales in comparison to Montreal. There's something wonderful that happens to a brain when someone is completely bilingual, and Montreal is filled with people who are almost completely bilingual. And not just bilingual in a major world language and a minor language, but bilingual in two of the most spoken, most studied, most academic languages on the planet. Even a trip to Walmart in Montreal is an exercise in multiculturalism with all the languages heard, and not just English and French. The way Montrealers can go back and forth between French and English (and, increasingly, other languages) is impressive and helps explain why Montrealers tend to be very open-minded.
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-states-2015-7

Quote:
New France
A pocket of liberalism nestled in the Deep South, its people are consensus driven, tolerant, and comfortable with government involvement in the economy. Woodard says New France is among the most liberal places in North America. New France is focused around New Orleans in Louisiana as well as the Canadian province of Quebec.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:16 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Montreal by far.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Been to both, I would choose to live in Atlanta and it's not close.

To make a long story short, Montreal is the most unfriendly city I've ever been too. They're even unfriendly to each other.

Beautiful city otherwise, but I have little desire to visit again.
I use to go every year and find them friendlier than anything in America!

Old 07-31-2018, 10:19 PM

And to JMT point my family is Haitian which probably makes my experience there different from others!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Im gonna get flack for this but for food Id give Atlanta,I can get any foods in Atlanta easily than I can in Montreal but not the other way around.I can find plenty of places for Poutine in Atlanta but hard to find good soul food ,good Mexican,Nigerian etc.Im not saying you cant find it but its very hard in Montreal. Modcut: Toronto is not part of this thread.
Yeah, youre going to get flack for that. Mainly because I dont find this statement to be true outside of Soul Food.

One of the most memorable meals I ever had in Montreal was a delicious Moose Flambe served with seasonal berries from Quebec. There are many other regional food dishes from Quebec (like that one) that are not available outside that area. The French and Japanese cook look nobody else and since Montreal is French, its a huge reason why the food scene is unique. Its the same for New Orleans. The fine dining in Montreal is wayyy better than Atlanta.

Montreal has a much larger population of people from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (yes, Montreal does have a larger population of foreign born Africans than Atlanta).

Id say youre cutting Montreal way short on food. Youre trying to reduce Montreal to Poutine restaurants while booting Atlanta's ethnic food. But its not like that at all. Outside of ethnic variety, Montreal is the best food city in Canada.

Atlanta is a great food city. Ive had many a great meals there. But Id put it this way. Other than NYC and Chicago, Montreal could be in the running for the next best food city in America along side SF, LA, and Toronto.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 08-01-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah, youre going to get flack for that. Mainly because I dont find this statement to be true outside of Soul Food.

One of the most memorable meals I ever had in Montreal was a delicious Moose Flambe served with seasonal berries from Quebec. There are many other regional food dishes from Quebec (like that one) that are not available outside that area. The French and Japanese cook look nobody else and since Montreal is French, its a huge reason why the food scene is unique. Its the same for New Orleans. The fine dining in Montreal is wayyy better than Atlanta.

Montreal has a much larger population of people from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (yes, Montreal does have a larger population of foreign born Africans than Atlanta).

Id say youre cutting Montreal way short on food. Youre trying to reduce Montreal to Poutine restaurants while booting Atlanta's ethnic food. But its not like that at all. Outside of ethnic variety, Montreal is the best food city in Canada.

Atlanta is a great food city. Ive had many a great meals there. But Id put it this way. Other than NYC and Chicago, Montreal could be in the running for the next best food city in America along side SF, LA, and Toronto.
I never said anything about fine dining.Most people dont eat fine dining.Only on CD do people obsess about the most expensive food. Only occasionally to I eat fine dining anywhere.MOST of the time its overated
You made some assumptions that were not implied or stated.I said in "Atlanta I can easily find poutine."
I never said thats all Montreal had.

While I have no problem admitting Montreal is more internationally recognized as a food city,as many times as I have been there,its not where I have had my best meals. Modcut: Please keep this thread about just Atlanta and Montreal.

One thing I will note is that the best Chinese food Ive ever had was in Montreal
This is MY preference.The foods I tend to like are found in Atlanta more than Montreal.

The best Nigerian food in Atlanta is in of all places Riverdale.
.Atlanta is second in the U.S. for number of African born peoples which is quite significant.

Last edited by JMT; 08-01-2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:

Percentage wise Atlanta has many more people born in Africa but yes population wise Montreal does.Atlanta is second in the U.S. for number of African born peoples
Depends... Are we limiting that to black Africans? Or all Africans? Because Montreal has a pretty large population of Arab Africans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City