Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs. MTL?
Atlanta 34 31.19%
Montreal 75 68.81%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:02 PM

923 posts, read 664,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I said Soul Food is "a big part of the regional cuisine of the South" and no Im not incorrect on that even though its available in most big cities.

Tex-Mex is a big part of the regional cuisine in Texas but you can find it just about anywhere too.

Being a regional cuisine does not mean that it is exclusive to that region. It just has to be indigenous to that region. Soul food originated in the Southeastern United States and Atlanta is the hub city of that region.

Quebecois cuisine just didnt spread like Soul Food and Tex Mex did. Thats all. I would rather eat it than Enchiladas con Carne or Oxtail, but its much harder to find outside Quebec.
Quote:
Where can you get regional Quebecois cuisine in Atlanta? Thats just as ridiculous as asking where you can get good soul food in Montreal. Soul food is a big part of the regional cuisine in Atlanta just as Quebecois cuisine is in Montreal.
You can go to smaller cities outside of the South and find Soul Food easily also.So its not ridiculous because Soul Food is found iotside of Atlanta and Georgia.
Food from Quebec is not so it was not ridiculous for me to suggest why that is ONE of the things I wish I could find in Montreal.Even still you can find some individual elements of Soul food like Chicken,grits,BBQ,hush puppies etc. I couldnt begin to find food from Quebec in Georgia or any other US. state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I said Soul Food is "a big part of the regional cuisine of the South" and no Im not incorrect on that even though its available in most big cities.

Tex-Mex is a big part of the regional cuisine in Texas but you can find it just about anywhere too.

Being a regional cuisine does not mean that it is exclusive to that region. It just has to be indigenous to that region. Soul food originated in the Southeastern United States and Atlanta is the hub city of that region.

Quebecois cuisine just didnt spread like Soul Food and Tex Mex did. Thats all. I would rather eat it than Enchiladas con Carne or Oxtail, but its much harder to find outside Quebec.
Quote:
Where can you get regional Quebecois cuisine in Atlanta? Thats just as ridiculous as asking where you can get good soul food in Montreal. Soul food is a big part of the regional cuisine in Atlanta just as Quebecois cuisine is in Montreal.
You can go to smaller cities outside of the South and find Soul Food easily also.So its not ridiculous because Soul Food is found iotside of Atlanta and Georgia.
It was not ridiculous for me to suggest why that is ONE of the things I wish I could find in Montrea when it can be found so many other places.l.Even still you can find some individual elements of Soul food like Chicken,grits,BBQ,hush puppies etc. I couldnt begin to find food from Quebec in Georgia or any other US. state

Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Food from Quebec is not so it was not ridiculous for me to suggest why that is ONE of the things I wish I could find in Montreal.Even still you can find some individual elements of Soul food like Chicken,grits,BBQ,hush puppies etc. I couldnt begin to find food from Quebec in Georgia or any other US. state
The way I examine food cities is by a few criteria:

1) Regional Cuisine
2) Ethnic Variety
3) Innovation
4) Fine Dining
5) Uniqueness

This is why I would say Montreal is a superior food city.

I can see Atlanta and Montreal being a tie on regional cuisine, ethnic variety, and innovation, but there is just no way Atlanta is on the same level as Montreal on Fine Dining or Uniqueness.

Last edited by JMT; 08-02-2018 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Please keep this about just Atlanta and Montreal.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
The way I examine food cities is by a few criteria:

1) Regional Cuisine
2) Ethnic Variety
3) Innovation
4) Fine Dining
5) Uniqueness

This is why I would say Montreal is a superior food city.

I can see Atlanta and Montreal being a tie on regional cuisine, ethnic variety, and innovation, but there is just no way Atlanta is on the same level as Montreal on Fine Dining or Uniqueness.
Well I agree ,In fact I've said many times that Montreal does 'fusion" very well.Never been any place anywhere that blends so many cultures and ethnicity together in food like found in Montreal other than Toronto.
But although Atlanta may have considerably less of that,it still exist.
For instance Korean/Southern fusion is big in Atlanta due to such a large Korean population,
Its the fastest growing Korean population in the U.S and one of the largest.
Theres also Korean/Mex as Atlanta has a large and fast growing Mexican population
Hankook Taqueria

Even Asian "Burgers"
Ssam Burger | Order Online | Atlanta, GA 30318 | Korean Pickup Delivery
As I said earlier Jamaican food is found with Soul Food in many eateries.

So again not as much uniqueness but there is still a considerable amount of it that even Montreal does not have where Atlanta does.

Lets not also give the impression that Atlanta lacks highly ranked fine dining.It does have some of the highest rated restaurants in the U.S. Gunshow,Staplehouse are just two of them.

Not you,but I feel like people talk about Atlanta like there is no city,its all sprawl with no density or real urbanity and its all chain restaurants,lacking significant culture.
I keep hearing so ignorant statements like: "is this a joke"or "its nice if you like suburban style cities" which does not give off the impression for those who dont know any better to belittle the city as something its just not.
Even NYC has single family homes and strip malls in its core.I lived on Staten Island for a short time and I know this for a fact.Chicago does as well but Atlanta has the same style neighborhoods and people only focus on those as if its void of a significant urban experience. Im in Atlanta often so Im in the streets a lot so I know whats going on from the city core to the surrounding suburbs.

Iif people really want to talk about aspects of urbanity that Montreal lacks instead of focusing on Atlanta's shortcomings such as street level activity (admittedly they exist) then lets be fair
Montreal is dead compared to Atlanta at night other than the clubs/bars/lounges.
Atlanta can hold its own in Nightlife against Montreal without question.

Everything else like dining options or even shopping,that all goes to Atlanta.
Its impossible to go grocery shopping in Montreal after 10 pm.
Compared to Montreal ,which is not all that common, there are so many places you can eat in Atlanta after 10pm
Just Google" restaurants open late in each city"
Most close around 10-11 in Montreal,in Atlanta its 11-to 24hrs. Their has to be some level of urbanity for this too exist because population would not support these business that would be profitable.
I can get farm raised chicken and vegan food at 430am if I wanted.Also if I wanted to stay out clubbing till 4 or 5 am I can also in even some of Atlanta suburbs.

I dont mean to say this like Im ragging on cities like Charlotte,Phoenix,Las Vegas,etc but those cities lack what even Atlanta has and in no way should Atlanta be compared to them versus cities like Montreal.Its not like it takes a "rocket scientist" to see Montreal is a much more developed city in turns of urbanity and cosmopolitan atmosphere but Atlanta should not be regulated to being something it simply should not be compared to because it does have a different layout

Just LA,Atlanta does sprawl but its core city has a large degree of density.At least enough to give an urban experience whether its enough is subjective but most people commenting have only been through the airport or chiming in about what they heard.
Basically using very outdated information.I dont think people realize the break neck speed Atlanta has developed and is currently developing.
Suburbs once considered sprawl are buikding massive urban stlyle live,work play dense style development.There is very little sprawl type neighborhoods still being developed like they used to.Housing lots are much smaller and more focus is on walkability even 30 miles far out from the city center
Their is a big difference between Atlanta and Phoenix,Charlotte, etc as Atlanta has a traditional core with historic densely packed buildings and urban infrastructure in its downtown core with Alley ways and pedestrian plazas.Atlanta is not a new city although much of its growth iwas much later than most cities like it that lost population

.Atlanta is a beautiful city with a lot of culture.
I really do think honestly its a bit of racism due to it having such a large black presence but if people who think they know what black culture is actually educate themselves and learn the actual history and culture of Atlanta,people will see it does have its fascinating parts that is that and much more.
Its tourism economy is booming.People downplay that as Atlanta is a corporate city but those people who come need something to do and Atlanta used what it got to get people who came for work to not only stay for the attractions but come for the actual attractions themselves.

Im in Atlanta again now and have 2 Couchsurfers as well as Airbnb guest at my properties,
One from Chilie and the other from France.
First day they are here and they keep commenting on how beautiful Atlanta is and how they really like the city so much.Today I tool the to the Martin Luther King National Historic District.
I have pics and will post but in a hurry now and cant figure how to do it

They keep asking about Southern food.
It is something they know to be worthy of trying even though they dont know what it is exactly.
As many times I have gone to Montreal,Ive never inquired about regional foods from Quebec.No one NEVER brings it up in Montreal as something I should try. Thats weird to me because most places from Texas to New England people seem to know there is cuisine they should try.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Well I agree ,In fact I've said many times that Montreal does 'fusion" very well.Never been any place anywhere that blends so many cultures and ethnicity together in food like found in Montreal other than Toronto.
But although Atlanta may have considerably less of that,it still exist.
For instance Korean/Southern fusion is big in Atlanta due to such a large Korean population,
Its the fastest growing Korean population in the U.S and one of the largest.
Theres also Korean/Mex as Atlanta has a large and fast growing Mexican population
Hankook Taqueria

Even Asian "Burgers"
Ssam Burger | Order Online | Atlanta, GA 30318 | Korean Pickup Delivery
As I said earlier Jamaican food is found with Soul Food in many eateries.

So again not as much uniqueness but there is still a considerable amount of it that even Montreal does not have where Atlanta does.

Lets not also give the impression that Atlanta lacks highly ranked fine dining.It does have some of the highest rated restaurants in the U.S. Gunshow,Staplehouse are just two of them.

Not you,but I feel like people talk about Atlanta like there is no city,its all sprawl with no density or real urbanity and its all chain restaurants,lacking significant culture.
I keep hearing so ignorant statements like: "is this a joke"or "its nice if you like suburban style cities" which does not give off the impression for those who dont know any better to belittle the city as something its just not.
Even NYC has single family homes and strip malls in its core.I lived on Staten Island for a short time and I know this for a fact.Chicago does as well but Atlanta has the same style neighborhoods and people only focus on those as if its void of a significant urban experience. Im in Atlanta often so Im in the streets a lot so I know whats going on from the city core to the surrounding suburbs.

Iif people really want to talk about aspects of urbanity that Montreal lacks instead of focusing on Atlanta's shortcomings such as street level activity (admittedly they exist) then lets be fair
Montreal is dead compared to Atlanta at night other than the clubs/bars/lounges.
Atlanta can hold its own in Nightlife against Montreal without question.

Everything else like dining options or even shopping,that all goes to Atlanta.
Its impossible to go grocery shopping in Montreal after 10 pm.
Compared to Montreal ,which is not all that common, there are so many places you can eat in Atlanta after 10pm
Most close around 10-11 in Montreal,in Atlanta its 11-to 24hrs. Their has to be some level of urbanity for this too exist because population would not support these business that would be profitable.
I can get farm raised chicken and vegan food at 430am if I wanted.Also if I wanted to stay out clubbing till 4 or 5 am I can also in even some of Atlanta suburbs.

I dont mean to say this like Im ragging on cities like Charlotte,Phoenix,Las Vegas,etc but those cities lack what even Atlanta has and in no way should Atlanta be compared to them versus cities like Montreal.Its not like it takes a "rocket scientist" to see Montreal is a much more developed city in turns of urbanity and cosmopolitan atmosphere but Atlanta should not be regulated to being something it simply should not be compared to because it does have a different layout

Just LA,Atlanta does sprawl but its core city has a large degree of density.At least enough to give an urban experience whether its enough is subjective but most people commenting have only been through the airport or chiming in about what they heard.
Basically using very outdated information.I dont think people realize the break neck speed Atlanta has developed and is currently developing.
Suburbs once considered sprawl are buikding massive urban stlyle live,work play dense style development.There is very little sprawl type neighborhoods still being developed like they used to.Housing lots are much smaller and more focus is on walkability even 30 miles far out from the city center
Their is a big difference between Atlanta and Phoenix,Charlotte, etc as Atlanta has a traditional core with historic densely packed buildings and urban infrastructure in its downtown core with Alley ways and pedestrian plazas.Atlanta is not a new city although much of its growth iwas much later than most cities like it that lost population

.Atlanta is a beautiful city with a lot of culture.
I really do think honestly its a bit of racism due to it having such a large black presence but if people who think they know what black culture is actually educate themselves and learn the actual history and culture of Atlanta,people will see it does have its fascinating parts that is that and much more.
Its tourism economy is booming.People downplay that as Atlanta is a corporate city but those people who come need something to do and Atlanta used what it got to get people who came for work to not only stay for the attractions but come for the actual attractions themselves.

Im in Atlanta again now and have 2 Couchsurfers as well as Airbnb guest at my properties,
One from Chilie and the other from France.
First day they are here and they keep commenting on how beautiful Atlanta is and how they really like the city so much.Today I tool the to the Martin Luther King National Historic District.
I have pics and will post but in a hurry now and cant figure how to do it

They keep asking about Southern food.
It is something they know to be worthy of trying even though they dont know what it is exactly.
As many times I have gone to Montreal,Ive never inquired about regional foods from Quebec.No one NEVER brings it up in Montreal as something I should try. Thats weird to me because most places from Texas to New England people seem to know there is cuisine they should try.
Boy, I don't know. This is a strange book of opinions. If I've understood, you're saying that Atlanta is dense and urban in the core (despite the small population over the large area), that Montreal is dead at night compared to Atlanta because there aren't many restaurants serving food late at night, and Montreal's regional food must not be a draw because you never thought to ask about it in your many ventures.... Either you're not great at traveling, have never been to MTL, and/or you're just boosting Atlanta. That's JMO.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:12 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Are you just purposely ignoring what Ive said?How many times have I said its "what I like".?What else do you want to hear?
No you are incorrect.It's known to come from the region of the South but its hardly exclusive to the South
Soul Food is not regional cuisine.It can be found ALL over America
Soul Food you can find all over the U.S to some degree because African Americans live all over the U.S. You cannot find traditional Quebecois foods all over Canada can you?

You might as well look for a Peameal Sandwhich than traditional Quebecois cuisine outside of Quebec with much better luck
Yes to some degree. You can find poutine all over Canada of course and increasingly all over the world. Stuff like tourtière, sugar pie, etc. is in grocery stores all across Canada too I am pretty sure.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
What did I say would make you think that is what I implied?If you were following the thread,French food was brought up as being the best outside of France..
If someone said that, I missed it. Though it might be true.

But I'd qualify that. It's probable that the best single French restaurant outside of France is not in Quebec (in fact, that's almost certain) but that pound for pound Quebec is the place outside France where you can find the highest quality French cuisine in greatest abundance. Though I suppose French-speaking Switzerland and French-speaking Belgium might have something to say about that too.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
What did I say would make you think that is what I implied?If you were following the thread,French food was brought up as being the best outside of France.My response was to that,Quebecouis food was only just now brought into the conversation after your post.
I have been to Montreal at least 12 times and have stayed at one time for almost a month that includes trips North to Quebec City so Im well aware.

As far as the measure of what is my experience versus anybody else,just look out of any American city.French food is not food people eat every day accept French people.
Youcan easily find more Indian,Italian,Mexican,Vietnamese,Jamaican,Nigeria n, and many other cuisines than you can French.For one thing its usually expensive.French food is not for the "average" people.Maybe you are wealthy enough or French where you routinely eat it but most people do not.I cant believe you actually questioning this.
French food is usually a special occasion type food.
And that's why we've been talking about what food connaisseurs tend to consider the gold standard in cuisine.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
It could just be that you're confined to an anglo tourist bubble when you're there.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Most close around 10-11 in Montreal,.

I have over 30 years of experience going out in Montreal and this is not my observation at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City