Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do some Boomtowns get criticized more than other's for their rapid growth, are some shown favor when
Yes 22 84.62%
No 1 3.85%
Based off of Infrastructure truthfully 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times

Advertisements

I must add to this! I think Politics, especially in some Southern states at the State level has had a major effect on some of these sunbelt cities as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 02:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I think it's grossly unfair to presume that all of the booming cities are just sitting by and watching unplanned growth happen. Many cities have very targeted plans to address growth on various fronts that include zoning, transportation, parks, etc.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:31 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Our Bustling Boom Towns and Metro's especially in the Sunbelt. Examples Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, Austin's, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Raleigh/Durham, etc. Even though they all range in sizes all of these cities have seen enormous growth on so many levels but my question is do some of them catch more Flack for it's rapid growth than others? Even on C-D I see people some times say they wish the growth would go else where, the Growth is too much or other wise. Or some may feel something should be in one city vs. another let's say like a sports team, stadium, bars or certain stores. Also hundreds of thousand more should be dumped on a city that has millions while others shouldn't receive or is not worthy of this growth, lets say like what an Amazon would bring! You have some that feels that some automatically should receive growth, while other cities should stay smaller and it's expected to stay that way. Then we have locals in some of the Boom Towns that don't care for or like transplants, as though there city is changing too much right along with the gentrification and new skyscrapers that pop up DT. Don't get me wrong every one of these Cities have gone through this as a part of its growing pains, especially depending on it's stage of growth but it seems some Cities catch more flack for it's growth and becoming what it is vs. other Cities. This comes from Cities Internally and Externally then you have those city that seem gets the Big City growth Favoritism.. Do any feel as though this is the case and if so which Cities and Metro's seem to feel they are Entitled to the city growth vs. the Cities/Metro's that catch the most flack for it's big city growth?

As a side note to this, I sometimes wonder if there is a bit of Bias for even Peer Booming Metro's in the south, say like Nashville and Atlanta for example. It seems that it's more of a free pass and expected boom for Atlanta but many would like to suppress and down play Nashville's growth and Diversity a bit when that Cities Booming big time, I pick up on that a lot. I think a lot of it has to do with the Stereotype of Nashville being a small Hick Country Music city when it's not, exact opposite! It advertises Country music to make money but believe me even on the music level its more than that and at City level it a very Diverse Metro and so much more. I had to spend some time in the City as a Black man to learn the real truth and I encourage other blacks and races to do the same, very fun city! I learned enough to know tourist traps only tell a small part of the story, very very small. I hear the term a lot that we don't want Nashville to become another Atlanta but playing devils advocate, it seems to be a push to make Atlanta the next Chicago, is that more of a right for Atlanta??? The funny part I see Nashville and Atlanta totally different in the fact that Nashville has the opportunity to be a more integrated racially harmonious city than Atlanta where it's a city that races just don't tolerate each other but are really and truly integrated at all levels if they can get past the gentrification issues which is more based off of income than race really but you know how that goes, but other wise the population is pretty balanced unlike Atlanta which is more segregated. I sometimes pick up on this in the media as well in how they some times try to display certain cities off of the stereotypes, especially competing cities it seems but rarely displays the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City