Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chinese in Vancouver vs. Cubans in Miami: stronger influence?
Chinese in Vancouver 8 16.00%
Cubans in Miami 42 84.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
How is that funny? Why would people of Chinese descent who ARE Canadian in every way be funny?

Agree, you don't need to speak "Chinese " in Vancouver, and a lot of the " take over " talk is just that.
The joke was about Canadian culture, that such a thing exists, but its just a joke, I wouldnt take it so seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:49 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Latin doesn't equal Cuban! At this point I may just have to give in, and agree that the Latin influence in Miami is greater than the Chinese influence in Vancouver. lol...that wasn't the original question though.

As for your visits as a tourist, I think that makes sense. Remember in this thread we are talking about the cities (or at least I am) and as such for Miami it is a very small portion of the overall metro. And even within Miami-Dade county, which is easily the most Latin-influenced of the region, tourist spots will generally be able to cater to all international visitors, not just those of the Latin American diaspora. Here in Doral I know that every time I go to the store (Publix, Winn Dixie, Walmart, etc) I am unlikely to get any help in English. If I have a question I pull out my phone for images or google translate. When I call the doctor, pediatrician, restaurants, the post office, etc I know they are going to greet me in Spanish first, and then most likely put me on hold to get someone who speaks English. The teachers at my kids' daycare speak little to no English and I typically can only speak with the manager. No worries though, my sons will probably be fluent and I'm gonna be forced to learn with them.
Cuban does equal Latin though. But, yes, I should have just said Cuban, even by itself, it still dwarfs Chinese culture in Vancouver, add in similar Latin cultures and it completely blows away Asian culture in Vancouver.

I think the Spanish influence in and around Miami is very neat, its a very unique place in the US. I did leave out, that I think Miami is a pretty terrible city. Of every city in the world I have been to, Miami was the biggest let down and I didn't even expect much. Miami Beach was neat, but honestly, thats the only thing I liked. They need to get their act together and clean up their city. It could be a really neat city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City