Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Dallas 62 51.24%
Atlanta 55 45.45%
Charlotte 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:38 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Atlanta.Atlanta core is more urbn and vibrant .Also I think it has the most potential also. Dallas has a little more urban areas metro wide but I think Atlanta has better designed suburbs with their individual downtown's and squares
WHAT?!

Old 08-25-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Agreed.

I also give Dallas the edge, due to its "concrete jungle" feel and more pedestrian-friendly core.

Atlanta has you in an urban environment on one block, and immediately in what feels like the woods in the next. (I actually kind of like that about it.)
There's really just more of everything all over Dallas, it's a very convenient and accessible city. Atlanta is a bit more like Houston in the sense that you have to travel further to reach certain things and the traffic is worse.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ha! You call my opinions warped when it’s obvious you’re a blind homer. Whatever makes you sleep at night.
I think you have a lock on blind homerism with your beyond ridiculous claims regarding Dallas's suburbs. Try to travel a bit more...

Old 08-26-2018, 12:27 AM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's an interesting take.

I personally don't care for the master planned-type suburbs, because of how sterile they are and how they lack a sense of place (no real history or soul to them).

I prefer suburbs that grow organically and haphazardly (albeit, with reasonable zoning).
This is EXACTLY what I meant by Dallas suburbs,Just flat and soiuless in many cases.One suburb looks just like the other.Houses look so much a like

Old 08-26-2018, 12:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That's an interesting take.

I personally don't care for the master planned-type suburbs, because of how sterile they are and how they lack a sense of place (no real history or soul to them).

I prefer suburbs that grow organically and haphazardly (albeit, with reasonable zoning).
I don't mind master-planned New Urbanist-type suburbs and Atlanta has plenty of these. They aren't perfect but they tend to be better than organic, haphazard suburbs that didn't have much of a core to begin with.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:43 AM

923 posts, read 664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
WHAT?!
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...ed-states7.htm

Dallas suburbs are nice tidy and bland.All you mainly see is the same 3 or4 styles of 2story brick houses mainly.
Atlanta suburbs are very self sufficient and have their own character

Old 08-26-2018, 06:24 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't mind master-planned New Urbanist-type suburbs and Atlanta has plenty of these. They aren't perfect but they tend to be better than organic, haphazard suburbs that didn't have much of a core to begin with.
For me, the best suburbs are the former mill towns that have since been absorbed by Atlanta. Basically, the places that have a satellite city feel to them.

They still have a vibrant and intact historical core and they don't feel as though you stepped into the Truman Show like, say, Peachtree City where everything looks the same and there's an aura of pretentiousness. Stuff was just built kind of randomly around the historic town square and there's some diversity in the demographics (like a normal city).

But yes, I also think the other extreme like Vinings, Dunwoody and Alpharetta is just as bad as Peachtree City.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-26-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...ed-states7.htm

Dallas suburbs are nice tidy and bland.All you mainly see is the same 3 or4 styles of 2story brick houses mainly.
Atlanta suburbs are very self sufficient and have their own character
My "what?!" comment was on the "Atlanta's suburbs are better designed" comment. Not the style of homes that are in the communities. The ATL burbs are not better designed by any measure.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
For me, the best suburbs are the former mill towns that have since been absorbed by Atlanta. Basically, the places that have a satellite city feel to them.

They still have a vibrant and intact historical core and they don't feel as though you stepped into the Truman Show like, say, Peachtree City where everything looks the same and there's an aura of pretentiousness. Stuff was just built kind of randomly around the historic town square and there's some diversity in the demographics (like a normal city).
Where can you find this within the Atlanta metro?

Old 08-26-2018, 09:37 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Where can you find this within the Atlanta metro?
Newnan
Senoia
Whittier Mill
Marietta
Roswell
Smyrna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City