U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Most urban?
Dallas 62 51.24%
Atlanta 55 45.45%
Charlotte 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-27-2018, 07:58 AM
 
3,584 posts, read 1,192,088 times
Reputation: 2339

Advertisements

There's *A LOT* more to suburban Atlanta than Cumberland, Alpharetta and Sandy Springs. The metro area is 8,378 sq. mi. wide and is made of 28 counties.

That poster, like most unfamiliar with the Atlanta area, is clearly speaking from a point of ignorance.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-27-2018 at 08:12 AM..

 
Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Reputation: 4463
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
There's *A LOT* more to suburban Atlanta than Cumberland, Alpharetta and Sandy Springs. The metro area is 8,378 sq. mi. wide and is made of 28 counties.

That poster, like most unfamiliar with the Atlanta area, is clearly speaking from a point of ignorance.
No, it's not from a point of ignorance at all. The poster in question is a former resident of Atlanta. He hated it when he lived here, and seems to hate it even more since his move to Dallas. He knows exactly what he is doing, and never gives Atlanta credit for anything.
 
Old 08-27-2018, 09:59 AM
 
3,584 posts, read 1,192,088 times
Reputation: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it's not from a point of ignorance at all. The poster in question is a former resident of Atlanta. He hated it when he lived here, and seems to hate it even more since his move to Dallas. He knows exactly what he is doing, and never gives Atlanta credit for anything.
Ah, so they're just being obtuse.

Fair enough.
 
Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM
 
13,572 posts, read 22,022,427 times
Reputation: 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not that serious dude LOL. It's not some huge egregious error, especially considering the fact that the border between Roswell and Alpharetta gets pretty confusing in some places. It would've been different if he mentioned a suburb that was nowhere close to East Cobb like Fayetteville or Lawrenceville or something. I fully understand the point he's trying to make.

Only an Alpharetta snob would take offense at someone confusing them with poor, rundown Roswell but I didn't peg you for one of those types.
It does matter! This is very serious. Alpharetta is, like, new money central.

And “Alpharetta Snob”? Is there such a thing? As if!

I’m a tried and true East Cobb Snob. We actually exist.

East Cobb SNOBS | Your Local Social Network

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20Cobb%20snob

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/you...cobb-snob-when

https://www.google.com/search?q=east...BNLi_AazgTI7:0


And why are you so mean to Roswell? Roswell is like East Cobb’s older, yet weirdly later blossoming sister.
 
Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,059 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Reputation: 15188
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
My "what?!" comment was on the "Atlanta's suburbs are better designed" comment. Not the style of homes that are in the communities. The ATL burbs are not better designed by any measure.
In terms of visual appeal and variety of architectural style, Atlanta clearly has the edge. I have no idea what your definition of 'better designed' is, nor am I particularly interested. And residential SFH neighborhoods built on a grid system bore the crap out of me. I love the twists and turns you encounter in the suburban Atlanta neighborhoods; it adds a sense of mystery and romance to not see what's coming around the next turn, and in Atlanta neighborhoods like Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Vinings, Dunwoody, Druid Hills, Morningside, Oak Grove and Inman Park it's usually something wonderful.

https://listing-images.homejunction....7/photo_36.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2018 at 11:20 AM..
 
Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It does matter! This is very serious. Alpharetta is, like, new money central.

And “Alpharetta Snob”? Is there such a thing? As if!

I’m a tried and true East Cobb Snob. We actually exist.

East Cobb SNOBS | Your Local Social Network

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20Cobb%20snob

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/you...cobb-snob-when

https://www.google.com/search?q=east...BNLi_AazgTI7:0


And why are you so mean to Roswell? Roswell is like East Cobb’s older, yet weirdly later blossoming sister.
Lol I see you.
 
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,970 posts, read 4,342,097 times
Reputation: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You caint leave East Cobb and enter Alpharetta...
Sorry, I was confused. All of those burbs look so similar in their housing. I meant Roswell.
 
Old 08-27-2018, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,970 posts, read 4,342,097 times
Reputation: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it's not from a point of ignorance at all. The poster in question is a former resident of Atlanta. He hated it when he lived here, and seems to hate it even more since his move to Dallas. He knows exactly what he is doing, and never gives Atlanta credit for anything.
How is me pointing out that the differences between the ATL burbs aren't really any different than the differences between the DFW burbs me hating on ATL? Everyone needs to calm it down. lol

I was responding to the poster that said it all looked the same in the DFW burbs. Is that really any different than the ATL metro area? You don't go from one burb to the next and be like "OMG am I in a totally different place?!"
 
Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 13,750,608 times
Reputation: 3030
I really feel like Dallas wins this especially when you consider the whole metro and FT Worth
 
Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,145 posts, read 3,319,382 times
Reputation: 1579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I really feel like Dallas wins this especially when you consider the whole metro and FT Worth
Considering the fact that the OP asked about the cities themselves, Atlanta is the obvious choice since it is much more urban within it's core than the other two.

The metro does go to Dallas but that's only if you twist the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top