Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 PM

127 posts, read 111,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
There are quite a few in the Pittsburgh area . In the outer edges of the city , most of the East End is urban (although its called the east end, its a collection of neighborhoods that make up a good portion of the land area of the city, just due to geography and location of downtown).

In the suburbs there are two types: dense streetcar suburbs that are still basically doing well or not bad, like Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Carnegie, Beechview. The second type are former industry towns located along the rivers. Most of these are heavily depopulated and not doing well now, but still have urban forms, like McKeesport. Wilkinnsburg also fits into the not doing well category, although it wasn't an industry town.

I did a thread not long ago that kind of fits in with this, about midrise and highrise towers in the suburbs. We identified over 200 with streetview links so you can see them. I don't consider all of these to be in urban surroundings, but a lot of them areat least semi-urban.

Midrise towers in the Pittsburgh suburbs
Awesome! Thank you for the thread link.
That's pretty similar to what I'm looking for. Still probably not on the European level where you basically don't have SFHs at all, but pretty decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:59 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Again I think LA probably has a ton density throughout the metro is pretty high almost everywhere. Santa Ana is 35 miles SE of downtown and is the 12th densest city in the country with almost 13k ppsq mile on par with Boston, with half the population at 350k. Orange County in itself is pretty compact especially considering it's a completely suburban county.

I live in Santa Monica about 17 miles west of downtown, and as someone said earlier it's an almost entirely urban area with arguably more foot traffic than downtown LA.

In the San Fernando Valley there are plenty of urban neighborhoods such as Panorama City winch is about 20 miles NW of downtown with a density of 20k ppsq mile.

What drives the density and the traffic is the many many mountains ranges that traverse all across California cities the same in NorCal so every piece of developable land is seized upon.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhern View Post
Miami has some areas like that, for example Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Doral, and Dadeland.
You forgot South Beach, probably the best example in Miami.
Doral? I completely disagree on that one.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
The entire stretch of Santa Monica Blvd to Hollywood has some really solid nodes of urbanity.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
DC is like this too. Tysons, Rockville, Bailey's Crossroads/Seven Corners, National Harbor, Ashburn, Reston, Huntington, Western Alexandria. There's a hodgepodge of dense nodes far from the city center.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
DC is like this too. Tysons, Rockville, Bailey's Crossroads/Seven Corners, National Harbor, Ashburn, Reston, Huntington, Western Alexandria. There's a hodgepodge of dense nodes far from the city center.

Bailey's Crossroads and Reston are a weird form, I wouldn't consider them to be urban since they are so obviously built around large roads and have tons of parking lots and setbacks from the streets. But they do have highrises and pretty big populations, lots of activity. Tysons is kind of like that too although its been gettting more urban due to Metro and growth. I dont think Ashburn is very urban though I'm not very familiar with it. The Ballston area of Arlington has really boomed and I think its far enough from DC to be considered an urban node well outside the city.

Rockville I really don't consider urban but its definitely very active. I'd switch out Rockville for Bethesda.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-26-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 06:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
NYC has a lot of this. I'm not sure what the parameters for downtown are, since Manhattan South of 59th st or 96th st even, functions as a giant downtown.

But South Brooklyn, upper Manhattan, and The Bronx have some very, very urban neighborhoods that are at least an hour from Lower Manhattan by subway

Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 PM

82 posts, read 68,857 times
I would say Philadelphia fits this bill well. Center City is incredibly dense but the rowhome neighborhoods continue for miles. The city is consistently dense throughout save parts of the far northeast and areas out in Upper Darby are basically extensions of the cities urban fabric and density. I think South Philly would be the best example of this as you can keep going south from Center City and the density remains constant until you get to the stadiums, the whole city feels connected.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:20 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
I would say Philadelphia fits this bill well. Center City is incredibly dense but the rowhome neighborhoods continue for miles. The city is consistently dense throughout save parts of the far northeast and areas out in Upper Darby are basically extensions of the cities urban fabric and density. I think South Philly would be the best example of this as you can keep going south from Center City and the density remains constant until you get to the stadiums, the whole city feels connected.
I agree with your take, esp South Philly and Upper Darby, particularly with the retail and transit hub (although both could use some sprucing up). I might also throw in Manayunk (and neighboring Roxborough along Ridge Ave climbing the hill from eastern Manayunk), Overbrook, Germantown (esp along Chelten and Germantown Aves) and Frankford around the el terminal...

Beyond the city limits there are several high-density urbanized nodes such as Ardmore which has a very dense downtown area based on its own retail and adjacent Suburban Square which was developed in the late 1920s/early 30s, Jenkintown, Glenside and, of course, Camden, which is right across the Delaware River, of course, but in a different state... And the beauty of all of these areas is you don't need a car to access any of them -- Philly's massive SEPTA network has a rail station at or near the core of all of these areas which, in most cases, were built up around these transit stations -- in some cases, back as far as the early 19th Century.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
NYC has this in city limits. The Downtown Flushing neighborhood is several miles from the business districts of Manhattan, but it’s very urban. Certainly the other neighborhoods in Queens that are between Flushing and Manhattan are quite urban, but it sort of ramps to a new peak in Flushing with the neighborhood’s Main St and Roosevelt Avenue intersection supposedly the third busiest pedestrian crossing in the city.

If you leave city limits, then you have some really dense neighborhoods in some of the NYC suburbs such as Jersey City, Hoboken, Philadelphia, Miami/Miami Beach, Los Angeles, and Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City