Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best downtown riverfront?
New York downtown (Hudson, East) 9 5.33%
New York midtown (Hudson, East) 2 1.18%
Boston (Charles) 11 6.51%
Philadelphia (Schuylkill, Delaware) 6 3.55%
Washington (Potomac) 5 2.96%
Baltimore (Patapsco/Inner Harbor) 11 6.51%
Pittsburgh (Allegheny, Monongahela) 21 12.43%
Detroit (Detroit) 2 1.18%
Cleveland (Cayahouga) 3 1.78%
Cincinnati (Ohio) 8 4.73%
Louisville (Ohio) 1 0.59%
Chicago (Chicago) 50 29.59%
Milwaukee (Milwaukee) 5 2.96%
Minneapolis (Mississippi) 5 2.96%
St. Louis (Mississippi) 3 1.78%
Memphis (Mississippi) 0 0%
New Orleans (Mississippi) 5 2.96%
Nashville (Cumberland) 7 4.14%
Jacksonville (St. Johns) 1 0.59%
Portland (Columbia) 5 2.96%
Sacramento (SacramentO) 2 1.18%
Omaha (Missouri) 3 1.78%
Indianapolis (Central Canal) 4 2.37%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 11:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times

Advertisements

St. Paul's is really nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 05:03 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I spent an overnight in Omaha one time, and was very pleasantly surprised how nice and attractive the waterfront parkland and landscaping was along the Missouri River. They've also got a nice modern pedestrian bridge link if you want to walk over to the Iowa side of the river.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:26 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Baltimore. Why no San Antonio?
Agreed. San Antonio is probably the first city many people think about when you think of "riverfronts." Strange it was left off of the list..........

Old 08-26-2018, 07:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I’ve been to roughly half of the cities listed and live in one of them. From what I’ve seen it’s Chicago by a magnificent mile.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I think San Antonio and Miami are oversights. San Antonio has the famed "riverwalk" which other cities have studied and copied. The Miami river runs between Downtown and Brickell, like an urban canyon, with lots of small boats and yachts adding to the ambience.

I picked Chicago simply because it is such a material part of the city in combination with the skyscrapers. Pittsburgh also feels like it should be up there. And then a quick note about Jacksonville...what makes it special is the size of the river itself. Right at downtown it squeezes to only 2-3k feet across, but if you go to the outskirts of downtown it quickly widens and in fact between Avondale and San Marco, two popular urban core neighborhoods, the river spans more than 2 miles across. Looking over to the other neighborhood looks like a faraway island.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
The river is cool to look at in Chicago, though I never really ate/drank/did any sort of physical activity on it. It always felt more aesthetic than anything, though the city is constantly adding to make it a destination.

I will say that I love the Charles- Continuous bike and run paths all the way through the suburbs. Free sailing. Great kayaking. New beer gardens and restaraunt pop ups. The hat shell. Duck boats. Playgrounds throughout for families. And, especially down towards the Back Bay, it’s really really beautiful.

So, I’m going Boston over Chicago and then the field.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Many of these rivers are man made or over glorified creeks.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Have only seen the riverfronts in the East Coast cities and Chicago from this list and I have to say Chicago's was on a tier of its own. The way the city is built around the river is so aesthetically pleasing I don't think any other city compares
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I’ve been to roughly half of the cities listed and live in one of them. From what I’ve seen it’s Chicago by a magnificent mile.
It really is in a league of it's own, which is not to take away from other cities but Chicago is quite magnificent. Not only beautiful, it is vibrant as well.

Chicago Riverwalk

Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to complete the Chicago Riverwalk along the main branch of the Chicago River, which will build a continuous walkway and recreational amenity connecting the lakefront with the heart of downtown.

The design plans include conceptual ideas for each of the six blocks from State Street west to Lake Street with distinctive identities and purpose, thematically named: The Marina (from State to Dearborn); The Cove (Dearborn to Clark); The River Theater (Clark to LaSalle); The Swimming Hole (LaSalle to Wells); The Jetty (Wells to Franklin) and The Boardwalk (Franklin to Lake).

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...riverwalk.html

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Many of these rivers are man made or over glorified creeks.

Which of these are man-made? I haven't actually heard of any significant river in Indianapolis, and I'm not sure why its on this list, so if its a canal maybe that one is. but the others?

Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
I would have to agree with a few of the previous posters re: Chicago River. Objectively, and experiencing the various cities, not sure how/why one would vote otherwise.

The Chicago River is now a bustling "avenue" that meanders right down the middle of the city, filled with tourist boats, taxi boats, kayaks, personal craft, etc., and lined with groundbreaking architecture and a new Riverwalk with dining, drinking and other attractions. It really is a pretty special place, and will evolve as developments continue. (That said, 10 years ago, it would have been a different story). The entire walk is bustling at the seams during lunch and just after work.

I think other interesting candidates would be San Antonio (the River Walk *is* charming). Milwaukee should also get a mention as they are beginning to incorporate the Wisconsin River more into the downtown fabric. Boston and DC also have nice riverfronts. I view Baltimore as more of a bay front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City