Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro Area is more International?
Atlanta 33 22.30%
Houston 101 68.24%
Its a Tie 14 9.46%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:24 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
How though?

What Atlanta does have that Houston doesnt really is a diverse economy, but Dallas, Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis, and a lot of other cities have that too.

Despite the recent oil slump, Houston hasnt really taken much damage. There was a slow down but never negative growth and now things are stable again.

So I would ask how Atlanta is going to pull away from Houston here. Afterall, the metro in the South that has the largest economy is debatably the least international of the big 4 (DFW).
Your post, despite using the word debatably, makes it sound like DFW isn't in the same running as Atlanta. Outside of maybe name recognition (never heard of a foreigner not recognizing Dallas or Atlanta), its large airport used for transfers, and name brands (not many people abroad would even know they are from Atlanta), Atlanta isn't more international than DFW, which is better connected to the world economy, is more diverse, and has a larger foreign born population. While possibly related to the world economy part, I'm also inclined to say Dallas has more foreign stores, such as Tom N Tom and 85, that Atlanta doesn't then the reverse, which I feel helps makes a region feel more international.

Also, I agree with Atadytic. Atlanta has been falling further behind Houston and DFW for a while now and there is no reason to think the trend will reverse. Not to say current trends will continue forever, though maybe it will, I'm not a fortune teller, but we have no reason to believe growth will stall or reverse in DFW while accelerating or stabilizing in Atlanta, both in a way that allows Atlanta to catch up to DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:26 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Your post, despite using the word debatably, makes it sound like DFW isn't in the same running as Atlanta. Outside of maybe name recognition (never heard of a foreigner not recognizing Dallas or Atlanta), its large airport used for transfers, and name brands (not many people abroad would even know they are from Atlanta), Atlanta isn't more international than DFW, which is better connected to the world economy, is more diverse, and has a larger foreign born population. While possibly related to the world economy part, I'm also inclined to say Dallas has more foreign stores, such as Tom N Tom and 85, that Atlanta doesn't then the reverse, which I feel helps makes a region feel more international.

Also, I agree with Atadytic. Atlanta has been falling further behind Houston and DFW for a while now and there is no reason to think the trend will reverse. Not to say current trends will continue forever, though maybe it will, I'm not a fortune teller, but we have no reason to believe growth will stall or reverse in DFW while accelerating or stabilizing in Atlanta, both in a way that allows Atlanta to catch up to DFW.
I actually think Atlanta and DFW are about the same in international profile and Houston is above both.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:50 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I tend to agree with this. I think these two as well as Miami and Dallas all compliment each other in a very large expansive region. They will likely stay around the same level. Neither one will move far ahead of each other as each have very important strengths and weakness.
I agree completely, but I think we have to distinguish between "international" and "important". For example, DFW is objectively more economically important than Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale. However, Miami/Fort Lauderdale is objectively more international than DFW.

I guess that what Im getting at...

Old 08-30-2018, 09:50 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I actually think Atlanta and DFW are about the same in international profile and Houston is above both.
Agreed. People talk about name recognition like people overseas don't know about Houston, but that's a very minor factor with respect to which metro is more international. And honestly, very few people who know about one of these three cities have no idea about the other two.

I would probably put DFW as a slightly more international metro than Atlanta though, especially considering its more diverse and larger Asian and Hispanic populations. Not much difference there though and what differences exist are quite debatable.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:48 AM

190 posts, read 211,856 times
Houston's reason for existing is an international reason. If you made an international vs. domestic influence ratio I'd be surprised if Houston wasn't the most international city in the whole country. Somebody should make a poll because I'm not even sure what other cities might be in the running for that.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Houston gets double the international immigration that Atlanta gets. It's GDP is also quite a bit larger despite the recent energy slump. In what way is Atlanta growing that is making it more relevant? Atlanta may have more namebrand stuff but Houston is becoming more relevant as well with the increase in Port traffic, the resurgence of the energy industry, more medical research/treatment, etc. Atlanta also has some growing cities around it too (Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, Orlando) that can leech a bit. Houston has the Texas Triangle but I think the Texas Triangle works better together.

It seems you know alot about Houston but little about Atlanta.
Atlanta is gaining in relevance
1)Tech Sector growth Atlanta has a higher educated workforce with advanced degrees than Houston, In the top 50 most educated places there are 3 cities including Atlanta proper within the metro area listed.None listed in Houston.
https://www.degreequery.com/most-educated-places-us/
Out of the top 25 Tech sectors in the US Atlanta is ranked but Houston is not.
Quote:
Time determined its most genius places by reviewing 2.2 million patents issued by United States Patent and Tradehttps://www.degreequery.com/most-educated-places-us/mark Office, which gives makers (and the companies which employ them) exclusive rights over their inventions. Analysts then matched that data up against 2010 U.S. Census Bureau data to determine patents created per capita. Using those metrics, Princeton, New Jersey, was named the most genius place in the country.
Two cities in the Atlanta metro made the list(Norcross at #14 and #99 for Suwanee) but none in Houston.

2)The entertainment Sector-Georgia supased California in film production
Georgia has just surpassed California, the UK and Canada as the No. 1 filming location worldwide,
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/geo...orld/526190458

3)Research /Education/Policy Studies-Atlanta doesnt just have name brands its got institutions like its research facilities in its universities like Emory and GaTech,as well as colleges like Morehouse and Spelman which attract a number of African and Caribbean blacks.
The CDC headquarters there,The Carter Center,The King Center,CARE International Headquarters to name a few international agencies.

4)International Travel-Among U.S. airports, the top ten respresented a dominant share of the international traffic.
Atlanta was #6 and Houston#6.Atlanta had the highest growth as well

5)Interntional Buisness-There are more international headquarters of foreign companies in Atlanta.Companies like Porsche,Mercedes Benz, Peugeot,Thyseen Krupp North America,Intercontinental Hotel Group all have their headquarters in Atlanta and many others,Khune+Nagel and many more.
Houston has more F500 companies(American based)

6)Conventions/tourism-Atlanta is one of the top convention cities in the world Houston is not even on the same level.52 Million people came to Atlanta last year.More than Vegas.
Music festivals also are huge business in Atlanta also

7)Hip Hop-Atlanta is known world wide as the capital of Hip Hop now.I have met people from France,to Denmark know Atlanta artist.Houston may have Beyonce but not many outside of maybe America knows she is from Houston.Trap music has now entered the world realm of music including EDM and Atlanta is the number one Trap Destination.

Now every city now a days competes with others in someways but Atlanta leads those smaller metros you mention in almost every major category,In many cases by far.Houston,Dallas and Atlanta are contemporaires no matter what you make think,Every survey usually as all three neck and neck in ,growth,jobs,etc.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
It seems you know alot about Houston but little about Atlanta.
Atlanta is gaining in relevance
1)Tech Sector growth Atlanta has a higher educated workforce with advanced degrees than Houston, In the top 50 most educated places there are 3 cities including Atlanta proper within the metro area listed.None listed in Houston.
https://www.degreequery.com/most-educated-places-us/
Out of the top 25 Tech sectors in the US Atlanta is ranked but Houston is not.
Two cities in the Atlanta metro made the list(Norcross at #14 and #99 for Suwanee) but none in Houston.

2)The entertainment Sector-Georgia supased California in film production
Georgia has just surpassed California, the UK and Canada as the No. 1 filming location worldwide,
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/geo...orld/526190458

3)Research /Education/Policy Studies-Atlanta doesnt just have name brands its got institutions like its research facilities in its universities like Emory and GaTech,as well as colleges like Morehouse and Spelman which attract a number of African and Caribbean blacks.
The CDC headquarters there,The Carter Center,The King Center,CARE International Headquarters to name a few international agencies.

4)International Travel-Among U.S. airports, the top ten respresented a dominant share of the international traffic.
Atlanta was #6 and Houston#6.Atlanta had the highest growth as well

5)Interntional Buisness-There are more international headquarters of foreign companies in Atlanta.Companies like Porsche,Mercedes Benz, Peugeot,Thyseen Krupp North America,Intercontinental Hotel Group all have their headquarters in Atlanta and many others,Khune+Nagel and many more.
Houston has more F500 companies(American based)

6)Conventions/tourism-Atlanta is one of the top convention cities in the world Houston is not even on the same level.52 Million people came to Atlanta last year.More than Vegas.
Music festivals also are huge business in Atlanta also

7)Hip Hop-Atlanta is known world wide as the capital of Hip Hop now.I have met people from France,to Denmark know Atlanta artist.Houston may have Beyonce but not many outside of maybe America knows she is from Houston.Trap music has now entered the world realm of music including EDM and Atlanta is the number one Trap Destination.

Now every city now a days competes with others in someways but Atlanta leads those smaller metros you mention in almost every major category,In many cases by far.Houston,Dallas and Atlanta are contemporaires no matter what you make think,Every survey usually as all three neck and neck in ,growth,jobs,etc.

Some nice info (with a lot of it being highly debatable), but it seems you know little about Houston and made a lot of assumptions.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
In the late 90s -early 2000s there was lots of talk about ATL passing Houston in population.
The 2010 census showed that instead of gaining on Houston the gap was growing.

2000:
ATL. 4,112,000
HOU 4,177,000
Approx 50k difference

2010:
ATL 5,270,000
HOU 5,920,000
Approx 650k difference

2017 estimate
ATL 5,885,000
HOU 6,892,000
Approx 1,000 K difference

People like to claim that ATL is more than what it is because it is heavily boosted in the media, but Houston and DFW are the ones distancing themselves from ATL.

I think in a few years Houston and DFW will be in a Tier with DC, SF and Boston while ATL and Miami will be in a tier just below with Philadelphia and maybe Phoenix, Denver and Seattle.

As far as international goes, I think they are just about the same. Atlanta is more international in pop culture while Houston is more international in terms of business. Houston has stronger ties to Central and South America, Nigeria and Northern Africa, the middle East and Asia. ATL has stronger ties to Europe and ... ��
Almost every current growth tables show Atlanta and DFW neck and neck with Dallas usually ahead.Houston in many of these list is nowhere found.
Houston Jpob Growth was at 1.3% vs Atlanta and Dallas both at 3.1%
The Metro Areas With the Most Job Growth in 2017

Atlanta also has strong ties to Africa and Asia.Especially Korea and India

Atlanta has more lnternational Scheduled Enplanements on U.S. Carriers and on Foreign Carriers' U.S. Flights .ATL#6 DFW#8 HOU#9
https://www.bts.dot.gov/bts/content/...rs-and-foreign

Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Some nice info (with a lot of it being highly debatable), but it seems you know little about Houston and made a lot of assumptions.
I simply responded to what you said about Houston.What assumptions about Houston did I make?

Old 08-30-2018, 03:32 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
HOUSTON hands down.. It is the larger, more cosmopolitan, and more influential city..

While Atlanta may better recognized in popular culture within the United States, Houston has a stronger reputation on an international scale, partly due to oil companies that are heavily involved with international operations around the world..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City