U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is more appealing
Connecticut 21 33.87%
Rhode Island 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 PM

7,248 posts, read 2,145,606 times

Advertisements

This is a really tough one. Providence is one of my favorite cities, but CT, being a bigger state, has a lot more stuff in general. So I voted for CT, but it's not a slam dunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 PM

4,164 posts, read 2,016,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is a really tough one. Providence is one of my favorite cities, but CT, being a bigger state, has a lot more stuff in general. So I voted for CT, but it's not a slam dunk.
I agree with you, it's not, in either direction. But Providence must be making a deep impression on a lot of people, for I note that Rhode Island is trouncing Connecticut in the poll.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 PM

20,999 posts, read 22,573,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I agree with you, it's not, in either direction. But Providence must be making a deep impression on a lot of people, for I note that Rhode Island is trouncing Connecticut in the poll.
Providence is a great and weird little city. I really love the place.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 PM

6,114 posts, read 13,609,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Only Fairfield County feels like a massive suburb. The rest of the state really isn’t.

URI?

New Haven and Hartford could compete with Providence. They’re all similarly sized, and New Haven even has an Ivy League school like Providence. The problem is that both cities have experienced decades of deterioration and decay.
Well overall, the state isn't really that urban.

Is URI as prominent nationally as UConn? I honestly don't know. I didn't meant it as a way to say UConn is so great. Genuinely don't know.

New Haven and Hartford have great potential. But for now, Providence is still better. New Haven probably has a better chance. But Providence's urban footprint seems quite a bit larger than either.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,844,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Rhode Island has more than just Providence.

Newport, for example.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 AM

4,164 posts, read 2,016,972 times
Quote:

Newport, for example.
I said as much in my long post above. But Rhode Island is unique among American states in having so much of its population, politics and culture revolve around one metropolis.

A historical stat for you that may be relevant: Up until the 1980 Census, Rhode Island was the nation's most densely populated state, a title now held by New Jersey. Yet if you look at how much of the state is urbanized, you should find that, like Connecticut, about half of it isn't - that's the part of Providence Plantations that remains planted (or has reverted to woodlands). However: all but the two southwesternmost of Rhode Island's 39 cities and towns are included in the Providence NECTA (New England City and Town Area, an IMO more relevant definition of metropolitan boundaries than the county-based MSA, since counties are functionally nonexistent in most of the New England states). That's a metropolitan dominance not found in any other state. Period. And it makes that wisecrack of that friend of a friend of mine substantively true to a large extent, and definitely true for the United States (there are a bunch of little principalities in Europe that are in essence city-states, like Monaco, Andorra, Lichtenstein and even Luxembourg).

Last edited by MarketStEl; 09-10-2018 at 05:07 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:41 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,147,973 times
^ I think if you took a land area the size of Rhode Island anywhere in the country, such an area would always revolve around the same town. Rhode Island is only marginally larger than Jacksonville.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 AM

16,096 posts, read 22,477,593 times
Connecticut is a far wealthier state with much better suburbs for raising a family. Only downside to CT is the insane cost of living in comparison to RI.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:01 AM

482 posts, read 201,333 times
Quote:

Newport, for example.
As well as Narragansett, westerly, Charlestown, block island ..all better beach towns than anywhere in ct

Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 AM

8,134 posts, read 7,147,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
As well as Narragansett, westerly, Charlestown, block island ..all better beach towns than anywhere in ct
Block Island has better ghosts than CT too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or