U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is more appealing
Connecticut 21 33.87%
Rhode Island 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 AM

6,898 posts, read 9,603,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Quality>Quantity. Providence is better than anything CT has or probably can ever have. CT functions as a suburb of NYC. Its purpose is a bedroom state with a few small urban clusters for the NYC suburbanites. I'm sure it wasn't always like that, but as NYC's dominance and importance grows, people keep moving further and further out into CT for that idyllic suburban/exurban lifestyle.

RI doesn't function as a suburb of any state. It was able to put its strengths and energy into Providence instead of figuring out how to attract NYC suburbanites.

The same of CT can sorta be said about NJ, but NJ always had extreme urban/economic centers like Hudson County and Newark. CT doesn't have that. NJ focused itself on being an extension of NYC, but has the better bones of the 2 states to compete in the 21st Century urban revitalization.

I definitely think RI has a better sense of self-purpose than CT. I'm not an expert on either, it just seems that way to me. It has its own identity with its own premier city that has its own suburbs and more people are drawn to RI for its water/beach culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I don’t know if Fairfield County is a good representation of the rest of the state.

I’m pretty sure that the New London/Mystic area at least isn’t a bedroom community for New York.
I am glad you mentioned suburbs of New York, it really shows the stereotype of Connecticut being mostly suburban that people have. But there is far more to Connecticut then Fairfield or New Haven Counties. And I glad Walrus mentioned New London.

Here is why. If you divide Connecticut into two halves, say divided by the Connecticut river, and then look at a detailed map or satellite view, you will see some interesting things.

First look at Eastern Connecticut where New London is. Eastern Connecticut is overwhelmingly rural! Mostly forested with some hills and a few farms here and there. Not only that, but this rural eastern half looks like its larger then Rhode Island just by itself. So much for Connecticut just being suburbs.

Now look at Western Connecticut. A considerable amount of land devoted to suburbs and small cities. But wait a minute. Look at all these forests and undeveloped areas. Especially in Litchfield and Middlesex counties. Forests, hills, mountains and even farms, even some in Fairfield County! So Connecticut has two halves, each larger than Rhode Island and even the more built up western half has a fair amount of rural areas.

Now look at Rhode Island. A fair amount of northern Rhode Island is urban/suburban. In fact, Rhode Island actually has a higher population density than Connecticut, whose "purpose is to be a bedroom state" for New York. Rhode Island comes in 4 on the list for most dense while Connecticut comes in number 8.

Turns out that at parts of Rhode Island have done a better job of becoming a bedroom community than much of Connecticut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 06:26 AM

4,164 posts, read 2,016,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Turns out that at parts of Rhode Island have done a better job of becoming a bedroom community than much of Connecticut!
But a bedroom community of where?

Connecticut does have one large metropolitan area I would consider its own: Hartford (which it actually shares with Massachusetts, which provides the other core city, Springfield).

Hartford has its own bedroom suburbs, two of the toniest of which I mentioned above.

But most of the state's urbanized Long Island Sound shoreline, including New Haven itself, is oriented towards New York. (You could call New Haven a smaller version of Newark, N.J.: a city that would be a metropolitan center in its own right were it not for another much larger city nearby. Granted, Newark is MUCH closer to New York than New Haven is, but the connection remains nonetheless.)

Rhode Island, on the other hand, is largely one metropolis whose core city also lies within its borders. Even if, as with Connecticut, half the state (or more in Connecticut's case) is not urbanized, population-wise, Rhode Island is basically metropolitan Providence, period. (Hence that "World's only remaining city-state!" quip that friend of a friend of mine shouted out.)

Ask any resident of Southern New Jersey about Northern New Jersey and you should understand the role population and its distribution play in shaping a state. Connecticut's principal metropolis ought to be where Providence is now but isn't, and no one there has yet figured out how to get it there; meanwhile, its other three sizable cities all lie within the Greater New York suburban belt.

The rural areas and the New London/Groton, Waterbury and Danbury areas don't really outweigh that suburban belt in political or cultural influence (IMO), and Hartford's suburbs, it seems to me, just as readily turn their back on their core city as they embrace it (a problem that plagued metropolitan Philadelphia for decades but no longer does now).

Rhode Island, on the other hand, embraces Providence, perhaps because there's really not much else to embrace as a metropolitan center (Pawtucket? Surely you jest). The difference shows in the two urban cores. In that respect, I'd say Rhode Island really can't be called a "bedroom suburb" in the way Connecticut can. Like New Jersey, Connecticut's too close to New York for its own good.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM

6,459 posts, read 10,734,544 times
I don't think that most of the posters here so far have even been to the East Bay of RI. All they seem to have seen is the West Bay including Prov and Newport.

Also, western RI is very rural. Too rural for me. Great for those who want acreage.

URI has a world class oceanographic program for those who don't know. https://web.uri.edu/gso/

Sadly, we are becoming a bedroom community of Boston. This has been happening over a number of years and has accelerated recently.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:28 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,844,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Rhode Island is basically metropolitan Providence, period. (Hence that "World's only remaining city-state!" quip that friend of a friend of mine shouted out.)
I (sometimes grudgingly) agree with a lot of what you’re saying. However, I have family in Charlestown and South Kingstown, and I don’t think that any Rhode Islanders south of Warwick would considered themselves to be living in the Providence metro area. They may go to Providence for work or a nice night out, but their daily social lives don’t revolve around Providence. Or at least that’s what it seems like to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Sadly, we are becoming a bedroom community of Boston. This has been happening over a number of years and has accelerated recently.
I don’t think Providence County will ever be to Boston what Fairfield County is to NYC. It’s too much of a cultural magnet in its own right for that. People from southern MA and even Boston itself travel to Providence for food and entertainment in a way that would never happen between NYC and Stamford or Bridgeport.

A better one-for-one for Fairfield County in the Boston area would be southern New Hampshire, but that’s outside the scope of this thread.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I (sometimes grudgingly) agree with a lot of what youíre saying. However, I have family in Charlestown and South Kingstown, and I donít think that any Rhode Islanders south of Warwick would considered themselves to be living in the Providence metro area. They may go to Providence for work or a nice night out, but their daily social lives donít revolve around Providence. Or at least thatís what it seems like to me.

I donít think Providence County will ever be to Boston what Fairfield County is to NYC. Itís too much of a cultural magnet in its own right for that. People from southern MA and even Boston itself travel to Providence for food and entertainment in a way that would never happen between NYC and Stamford or Bridgeport.

A better one-for-one for Fairfield County in the Boston area would be southern New Hampshire, but thatís outside the scope of this thread.
I agree with what you say above as well. One of the points you need to keep in mind about the arguments I'm making about both states is that they're based on population more than geography. Half of Rhode Island is rural! Yet up until 1980, it was the nation's most densely populated state. Which means that the bulk of Rhode Islanders live in and around...

And as for the communities on Aquidneck (Rhode) Island and environs, I think you have a point: their daily lives don't revolve around Providence - but they may commute to jobs closer to it, if not in the city itself. Commuting patterns are what determine whether a county (or city or town) gets included in a metropolitan area. Someone who lives in Phoenixville and works in Fort Washington may have little interaction with Center City, yet they're residents of metropolitan Philadelphia nonetheless.

As for Rhode Island being a "bedroom community of Boston," no, I really don't see that happening either. When I was in college in the 1970s, Metro Boston really hadn't expanded into southeastern Massachusetts - you could feel some separation between Boston and Providence. Boston's exurbia has been heading in that direction, but it bumps up against what are in essence Providence exurbs. It's because of the growing interconnectedness of the two metros, however, that you can now take MBTA commuter trains all the way to T.F. Green Airport, and aren't they planning to extend this service to Kingston? (I assume that, much as the Delaware Department of Transportation pays SEPTA to operate Regional Rail service across northern New Castle County, the RIPTA chips in for the MBTA Commuter Rail service in Rhode Island.)

But Rhode Island won't become Boston's Connecticut.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:58 AM

7,546 posts, read 15,604,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I could list a few for you; I can't think of analogues to these in Rhode Island:

Of Hartford:
West Hartford
Farmington

There are more, especially in Fairfield County.
There's nothing really comparable in RI to the New York suburbs of CT, I'll give you that.

And while I would definitely say that West Hartford is great and different from anything around PVD, I'd still take PVD suburbs like Bristol, East Greenwich, or Wickford over WeHa, any day. I think that as a whole, Providence's suburbs are preferable. The coastal location helps, but there are also a bunch of cool villages and towns to explore (I'd add Pawtuxet Village and Warren to my earlier list too).

Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 PM

4,308 posts, read 1,570,750 times
Much of RI's population is situated in just a few communities. It basically follows an inverted Y shaped pattern. Providence is where all three lines meet. The top straight line encompasses the Blackstone River valley towns from Pawtucket to Woonsocket. The angled bottom lines are the communities along Narragansett Bay stretching out from Providence to Bristol in the east and Warwick in the west. The rest of the state is far less densely populated, especially along the western border with CT and in some of the southern towns (Little Compton, Tiverton, Exeter, Richmond).

Old 09-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There's nothing really comparable in RI to the New York suburbs of CT, I'll give you that.

And while I would definitely say that West Hartford is great and different from anything around PVD, I'd still take PVD suburbs like Bristol, East Greenwich, or Wickford over WeHa, any day. I think that as a whole, Providence's suburbs are preferable. The coastal location helps, but there are also a bunch of cool villages and towns to explore (I'd add Pawtuxet Village and Warren to my earlier list too).
Those are all east of downtown, right?

I guess I visited the wrong suburbs when I drove down to Providence: most of the ones I saw were west and southwest of the city.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:47 PM

482 posts, read 201,333 times
Bristol RI
https://www.mottandchace.com/real-es...75877/46007989
Barrington RI
https://www.mottandchace.com/real-es...50329/37526886
Jamestown ri

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWD7xdjlle8
Newport ri
https://www.mottandchace.com/real-es...77988/46691448
Narragansett RI
https://www.hoganassociatesre.com/up...castle_421.jpg
Westerly ri
https://chambermaster.blob.core.wind.../files/228.jpg
East Greenwich ri

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aq92gEer-R0
Charlestown RI
https://c8bfad4f8d300370c1df-8565485...1396884919.jpg

Last edited by Ne999; 09-12-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 PM

482 posts, read 201,333 times
Some images arenít loading...here are some better links
Bristol RI
https://c8bfad4f8d300370c1df-8565485...1508246459.jpg

Barrington RI
https://d23aqzqb5d5hr4.cloudfront.ne...3/crop/800,533

Newport RI
https://c8bfad4f8d300370c1df-8565485...1510853282.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or