U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is more appealing
Connecticut 23 35.38%
Rhode Island 42 64.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:52 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,962,988 times

Advertisements

When it comes to comparing cities in both states, Providence has successfully reinvented itself and is one of the more appealing cities in New England. The larger cities of Connecticut are a mess with the exception of Stamford though their suburbs are well heeled.
Rhode Island has Newport, beautiful beaches, access to the big coastal islands and the considerable appeal of Cape Cod. But Connecticut on the other hand has the Berkshires, pretty country towns,some nice beaches, and posh suburbs and access to NYC.
All in all it looks like a draw to me and it would depend on which qualities are more important to anyone making a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:58 AM

9,179 posts, read 17,747,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
When it comes to comparing cities in both states, Providence has successfully reinvented itself and is one of the more appealing cities in New England. The larger cities of Connecticut are a mess with the exception of Stamford though their suburbs are well heeled.
Rhode Island has Newport, beautiful beaches, access to the big coastal islands and the considerable appeal of Cape Cod. But Connecticut on the other hand has the Berkshires, pretty country towns,some nice beaches, and posh suburbs and access to NYC.
All in all it looks like a draw to me and it would depend on which qualities are more important to anyone making a choice.
These are both Massachusetts. Pretty much on point otherwise though. For what it's worth, in my past seven years in Albuquerque I would go back to the Cape every summer to spend time with family. I would always fly into Providence airport instead of Boston, because it has easier access to the Cape. In a nutshell, they are both the same distance but I-195 has way less congestion than MA routes 3 and 24.

Connecticut's Litchfield Hills which is adjacent to the Bershires in Mass is certainly very scenic and beautiful part of the state.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; Today at 12:13 PM..

Old Today, 12:13 PM

9,179 posts, read 17,747,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Fishers Island is interesting in where its jurisdiction lies.
One of the most scenic and memorable boat rides I had been on was the ferry from New London, CT to Block Island, RI. We nautically passed through New York waters in Long Island Sound on the way to Block Island and went right past Fishers Island. It was really scenic, not very developed at all, had some nice beaches to look at on shore. This island seems very private and not very accessible and a bit more on the residential side rather than a destination was my impression. But I was curious about it and wouldn't mind making landing there at some point. Now I'm curious to google some more info about it. Looks like the ferry service to Fishers Island is accessed from New London, CT.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; Today at 12:25 PM..

Old Today, 03:14 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,025,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
One of the most scenic and memorable boat rides I had been on was the ferry from New London, CT to Block Island, RI. We nautically passed through New York waters in Long Island Sound on the way to Block Island and went right past Fishers Island. It was really scenic, not very developed at all, had some nice beaches to look at on shore. This island seems very private and not very accessible and a bit more on the residential side rather than a destination was my impression. But I was curious about it and wouldn't mind making landing there at some point. Now I'm curious to google some more info about it. Looks like the ferry service to Fishers Island is accessed from New London, CT.
Which is why Fishers Island is the only community in New York State that has a ZIP code whose first digit is 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or