U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is more appealing
Connecticut 20 32.79%
Rhode Island 41 67.21%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM

9,164 posts, read 17,724,618 times

Advertisements

What state would you find more appealing? Though it can be discussed, try to focus less on NYC/Boston influence and more on the state's own merits and the cities and towns within.

Urban areas
Suburbs, towns, and rural parts
Scenery/Recreation
Infrastructure, Highways, & public transit
Food & Culture
Economy
Education
The better package overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 PM

8,130 posts, read 7,141,151 times
Well, Providence is a better city than anywhere in Connecticut.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,481,535 times
That's tough because I'd never want to live in either.

I'd say in scenery CT takes it, but honestly RI is a little better in every other way.

As an example, Connecticut displays the greatest wealth disparity of any state in the union. CT has cities in far worse condition than RI. As well CT has a much less favorable reputation among the rest of the country in terms of social interaction.

If I were forced at gunpoint to move to southern New England, I'd pick Massachusetts.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:20 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,841,578 times
Urban areas - Connecticut for quantity, Rhode Island for quality
Suburbs, towns, and rural parts - Connecticut
Scenery/Recreation - Rhode Island
Infrastructure, Highways, & public transit - Connecticut
Food & Culture - Connecticut for food, Rhode Island for culture
Economy - Connecticut, but RI is improving faster (I think)
Education - Tie
The better package overall - Rhode Island

Iíve always felt that people from Rhode Island are happier and more proud of their state than people from Connecticut. Maybe itís unfounded and I mean no offense to native nutmeggers; itís just my anecdotal and generalized observation.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:14 PM

6,114 posts, read 13,602,584 times
Urban areas: Providence is better than anything in CT. As the previous poster stated, CT has a lot of them, but they can't compete with Providence.
Suburbs, towns, and rural parts: CT is a massive suburb, mostly of NYC, so CT.
Scenery/Recreation: People travel to RI for its coastline. Idk much about either in this regard.
Infrastructure, Highways, & public transit: Tie
Food & Culture: Rhode Island
Economy: Rhode Island...I think
Education: Both have Ivy League colleges, but does RI have anything comparable to UConn?
The better package overall: I'd rather live in RI because Providence seems like more of a real city than anything CT has.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:10 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,262,860 times
Not sure why RI is winning by so much. I prefer the scenery of Connecticut, and the small towns mixed with semi rural forested communities. There's not a lot of that in RI. Plus it's closer to NYC without actually being NYC.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Suburbs, towns, and rural parts: CT is a massive suburb, mostly of NYC, so CT.
Only Fairfield County feels like a massive suburb. The rest of the state really isnít.

Quote:
Education: Both have Ivy League colleges, but does RI have anything comparable to UConn?
URI?

Quote:
The better package overall: I'd rather live in RI because Providence seems like more of a real city than anything CT has.
New Haven and Hartford could compete with Providence. Theyíre all similarly sized, and New Haven even has an Ivy League school like Providence. The problem is that both cities have experienced decades of deterioration and decay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Plus it's closer to NYC without actually being NYC.
*Throws up in mouth a little*

Old 09-09-2018, 07:24 AM

4,154 posts, read 2,011,693 times
This one's a toughie, for after thinking it over, the two states are more closely matched than I thought they were:

Urban areas: As everyone else has said, Rhode Island's one sizable city, Providence, beats all five of Connecticut's (Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Bridgeport, Waterbury - and Waterbury's really smallish). Somebody pointed out, accurately, that either New Haven or Hartford could go mano a mano with Providence were it not for years of disinvestment and decay, but I think something different is at work. Even though half the state is rural, Connecticut's character is suburban, and not just suburban, but the kind of suburban that not only doesn't get cities but fears them. Thus when someone in Connecticut decides it's time to try to resuscitate the wheezing core of one of its cities, the result makes the city less, not more, appealing. When the Rhode Islanders decided it was time to breathe new life into downtown Providence, they played to its strengths.

Actually, maybe something a friend of a friend of mine used to say when the Amtrak train he was riding pulled into Providence might get to the heart of the matter better:

"Providence, Rhode Island! World's only remaining city-state!"

Yes, there's more to Rhode Island than Providence, but it's the beating heart of the state, and I believe a higher percentage of Rhode Islanders live in metropolitan Providence than residents of any other state live in just one metropolis, even states with only one metropolis.

Suburbs, towns and rural parts: Connecticut by a country mile. As I said, half the state's rural, and it's that picturesque, church-spire-and-town-common New England rural too. And thanks to all the New Yorkers manque crowded into its southwest corner and the people that have scattered themselves along the Connecticut River from New Haven to Springfield, the state is fundamentally suburban in character.

Scenery and recreation: Rhode Island. You mean to tell me you don't think those pictures of sailboats on Narragansett Bay with the Newport Bridge in the background aren't gorgeous as all get-out? That captures in a single image Rhode Island's scenic appeal. And there's Rhode Island (most of the state, remember, is Providence Plantations) itself: home to all those opulent "cottages" those New York robber barons built as summer homes to impress their friends. The rest of Newport's pretty cute too, and it has some very nice coastline. There's also this other island you can get to only by ferry called Block Island that I hear is pretty cool as well.

Infrastructure, highways and public transit: Connecticut. Because it has all those suburbanites headed for New York or Hartford, Connecticut has a very good rail transit infrastructure to go along with its extensive freeway network. It's also been innovative in coming up with new ways to add rapid transit capacity - I'm thinking specifically of the CTfastrak bus rapid transit line between New Britain and Hartford, one of the few true BRT implementations in the country. The state's also added a train connecting Hartford with Springfield too. But history buffs will appreciate the 1911 trolley tunnel connecting downtown Providence with Brown University at the top of College Hill, still used by Rhode Island Public Transit Authority buses.

Food and culture: I'm not sure I can call a clear winner here. Connecticut outdoes Rhode Island on variety of cuisines, but I think Rhode Island does traditional New England seafood places better. Providence seems to me to have the livelier cultural scene, but I haven't really scoped out what's available in Connecticut; I know the state is home to one of the nation's oldest and largest Shakespeare festivals.

Economy: Connecticut's is the stronger of the two, but Rhode Island has managed to pick itself up out of the dumps finally.

Education: Connecticut. Sure, Providence has Brown and (this is the school one other poster forgot) the Rhode Island School of Design, as well as Johnson & Wales University, one of the nation's leading culinary/hospitality trade educational institutions. (The University of Rhode Island is nothing to write home about.) But in addition to Yale and UConn, Connecticut also has Trinity and Wesleyan universities and Connecticut College, and I think I've left off a first-rate college or two.

Better overall package: Rhode Island. Remember, I'm an urbanite at heart. Providence for the win, with an assist from Newport. (Pawtucket and Central Falls have some work to do, though.)

Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Urban areas: As everyone else has said, Rhode Island's one sizable city, Providence, beats all five of Connecticut's (Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Bridgeport, Waterbury - and Waterbury's really smallish.
A great post! I do want to add that if Waterbury is on your list of CT cities, then Danbury, Middletown, and New London may deserve a spot there as well.

CT actually has a shocking amount of cool little cities with what could be attractive and urban downtowns. However, I’ve swung by a few of them at this point and have yet to be wowed.

I will say, though, (as much as it pains me to admit) despite the fact that I’ve been here for 2 months, I still haven’t looked around Bank Street in New London, which is actually supposed to be pretty nice.

Last edited by iAMtheVVALRUS; 09-09-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM

9,164 posts, read 17,724,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Scenery and recreation: Rhode Island. You mean to tell me you don't think those pictures of sailboats on Narragansett Bay with the Newport Bridge in the background aren't gorgeous as all get-out? That captures in a single image Rhode Island's scenic appeal. And there's Rhode Island (most of the state, remember, is Providence Plantations) itself: home to all those opulent "cottages" those New York robber barons built as summer homes to impress their friends. The rest of Newport's pretty cute too, and it has some very nice coastline. There's also this other island you can get to only by ferry called Block Island that I hear is pretty cool as well.
Thank you! Sometimes it seems Providence gets all the gravity in Rhode Island, but yes, Newport kind of a big deal! Even without the Mansions and Ocean Drive, the harbor, the Pell bridge, downtown, and other neighborhoods would still make it one of New England's most attractive seaport cities.

Block Island is indeed very cool. Perfect size for biking around the whole island. Though it's much smaller it's every bit as cool to me as Martha's Vineyard, but more enjoyable as it's a lot less crowded making the island feel a bit more pristine. From the rugged bluffs at the south end, the fresh water kettle ponds on the island, to the sand bars and lighthouse at its northern tip, it's an exceptionally nice place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I will say, though, (as much as it pains me to admit) despite the fact that I’ve been here for 2 months, I still haven’t looked around Banks Street in New London, which is actually supposed to be pretty nice.
This was years ago, but when I went to Block Island, I actually took the ferry out for the day from New London and we did our hotel night in downtown New London. The ferry ride from there is very scenic. After a great day in the island and getting back to New London, it had enough nightlife to entertain us with a good bar crawl. And we found a perfect Connecticut diner the next morning serving breakfast with a waitress named "Cookie" (raspy voice and beehive hairdo, gotta love it). Good memories, I thought the downtown there was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or