U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which do you like more?
Portland, OR 30 50.00%
Calgary 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,685 posts, read 5,886,651 times
Reputation: 12037

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Portland is shooting itself in the foot. It's a place, now, I would never choose. I don't know enough about Calgary, but my guess is, I would choose it over Portland. Not voting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Calgary, simply because I have not heard of Antifa spreading their methods of intimidation, violence and terror in the streets of Calgary like the mayor in Portland allows them to do.
Looks like Portland's reputation just went down the sewer with all the soy boys harassing senior citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
 
489 posts, read 194,439 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Looks like Portland's reputation just went down the sewer with all the soy boys harassing senior citizens.
Do you have a source to back up your claim about senior citizens being harassed in Portland in the manner that you describe? Also you're saying Portland's reputation went "down the sewer" based on what two posters on this forum think? Real estate values have increased significantly there in the past few years, which is probably a better indicator that that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 04:48 PM
 
Location: White Rock BC
178 posts, read 363,457 times
Reputation: 284
Every city has it's nutcases so it is patently unfair to generalize it to the city at large.

Calgary is a very nice, functional, well run city, a fairly vibrant downtown, and quite interesting inner city neighbourhoods. It's very hard to dislike Calgary and it has excellent infrastructure including the best transit system in NA for it's size with very high patronage and much higher per-capita than Portland.

Calgary is a easy city to like but a hard one to love. It's a nice city but not a very interesting one. Calgary is a 2018 Toyota Camry compared to Portland's 1967 Volkswagen Bug...…….the Bug isn't near as functional but has character in spades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 PM
 
1,418 posts, read 677,802 times
Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Do you have a source to back up your claim about senior citizens being harassed in Portland in the manner that you describe? Also you're saying Portland's reputation went "down the sewer" based on what two posters on this forum think? Real estate values have increased significantly there in the past few years, which is probably a better indicator that that is not the case.
Go to Google, and type in Portland Antifa...you'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
Reputation: 4328
Calgary is just so bland and too cold during winter. Definitely Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 PM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
6,521 posts, read 3,792,224 times
Reputation: 4787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Every city has it's nutcases so it is patently unfair to generalize it to the city at large.

Calgary is a very nice, functional, well run city, a fairly vibrant downtown, and quite interesting inner city neighbourhoods. It's very hard to dislike Calgary and it has excellent infrastructure including the best transit system in NA for it's size with very high patronage and much higher per-capita than Portland.

Calgary is a easy city to like but a hard one to love. It's a nice city but not a very interesting one. Calgary is a 2018 Toyota Camry compared to Portland's 1967 Volkswagen Bug...…….the Bug isn't near as functional but has character in spades.
Maybe, but I’d rather own a Camry, a very reliable, well made vehicle,
I’ve owned 2 Camrys....both great cars.

My dad owned a 1966 VW Bug...nothing but trouble, he traded it in for a 1968 Camaro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 PM
 
54 posts, read 16,108 times
Reputation: 55
Calgary big time.





This site is so USAcentric and has so many FANBOYS and HOMERS ... lol







Calgary is bigger and has by far the better skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,771 posts, read 6,969,484 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derventio View Post
Calgary big time.

This site is so USAcentric and has so many FANBOYS and HOMERS ... lol

Calgary is bigger and has by far the better skyline.
LOL, the Portland metro area has a million more people than the Calgary metro and Portland's scenery sure beats what Calgary has.... I love Canada and would love to live north of the border, but Calgary is definitely not one of the places in Canada I would pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Brew City
3,139 posts, read 1,957,137 times
Reputation: 4174
I went home and told my husband about this thread. He laughed. Calgary is one of his favorite places and he just got back from Portland a few days ago and was NOT impressed.

It's an easy call for me, Calgary Flames trumps no team. I've always enjoyed my visits to Calgary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM
 
111 posts, read 42,534 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Do you have a source to back up your claim about senior citizens being harassed in Portland in the manner that you describe? Also you're saying Portland's reputation went "down the sewer" based on what two posters on this forum think? Real estate values have increased significantly there in the past few years, which is probably a better indicator that that is not the case.
There has been video all over the network news and throughout the web. If you choose to deny or worse, justify it, then there isn't much point to any of us responding to your question.


A real shame because I'm sure the city is beautiful and a little bit of quirky charm could be rather charming. But I would never set foot in that city again for fear of minding my down business and having some black mask come up from behind me and club me in the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top