U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you like more?
Portland, OR 30 50.00%
Calgary 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM

6,535 posts, read 5,842,461 times

Advertisements

Have been to both cities and easily Portland for me. Based on the posts here it appears that Trumpians hate it more than San Francisco. That’s a plus in my book.

I spent a long weekend in portland in August. Really enjoyed the city. Great food, coffee, beer, shopping and events.

I like Calgary just fine. I’ve been for Stampede and saw the city in full party mode. I much prefer Portland to what I saw there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 12:58 PM

111 posts, read 42,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Have been to both cities and easily Portland for me. Based on the posts here it appears that Trumpians hate it more than San Francisco. Thatís a plus in my book.

I spent a long weekend in portland in August. Really enjoyed the city. Great food, coffee, beer, shopping and events.

I like Calgary just fine. Iíve been for Stampede and saw the city in full party mode. I much prefer Portland to what I saw there.

I don't doubt for a second that as long as one thinks like a left-wing terrorist, one will be fine in Portland. But pretty shameful that you'd condone that type of behavior.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:37 PM

489 posts, read 194,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
There has been video all over the network news and throughout the web. If you choose to deny or worse, justify it, then there isn't much point to any of us responding to your question.

A real shame because I'm sure the city is beautiful and a little bit of quirky charm could be rather charming. But I would never set foot in that city again for fear of minding my down business and having some black mask come up from behind me and club me in the head.
"Senior citizens being harassed" is a gross mischaracterization. It's true that Portland has been one of the main stages for the conflict between Nazi Sympathizers and Antifa, but it's not like there are progressives walking around randomly attacking people.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 PM

950 posts, read 1,145,677 times
I much prefer Portland too.

Just went to Calgary for the first time. I was impressed by the light rail--Canada always seems to get things like transportation better than we do in the States, even in 'oil country'. I also liked the diversity of people and the proximity to Banff, which was gorgeous. But overall the city felt a bit remote and provincial; plus, it was snowing in September. That's nuts. And that's a REALLY long winter. I'd opt for the grayness of Portland over that. Portland has a cool vibrant energy that I enjoy and it, too, is close to gorgeous scenery.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:48 PM

5,771 posts, read 6,969,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I much prefer Portland too.

Just went to Calgary for the first time. I was impressed by the light rail--Canada always seems to get things like transportation better than we do in the States, even in 'oil country'. I also liked the diversity of people and the proximity to Banff, which was gorgeous. But overall the city felt a bit remote and provincial; plus, it was snowing in September. That's nuts. And that's a REALLY long winter. I'd opt for the grayness of Portland over that. Portland has a cool vibrant energy that I enjoy and it, too, is close to gorgeous scenery.
To be fair to Calgary, thanks to the Chinook Winds, the city can have plenty of days in the winter much warmer than other places at similar latitudes where temperatures can even get into the 50s. Also even for Calgary, snow this early is very unusual too. Normal highs there now are still in the 50s.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:49 PM

11,382 posts, read 7,835,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Every city has it's nutcases so it is patently unfair to generalize it to the city at large.

Calgary is a very nice, functional, well run city, a fairly vibrant downtown, and quite interesting inner city neighbourhoods. It's very hard to dislike Calgary and it has excellent infrastructure including the best transit system in NA for it's size with very high patronage and much higher per-capita than Portland.

Calgary is a easy city to like but a hard one to love. It's a nice city but not a very interesting one. Calgary is a 2018 Toyota Camry compared to Portland's 1967 Volkswagen Bug...ÖÖ.the Bug isn't near as functional but has character in spades.
Good summation.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:11 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derventio View Post
Calgary big time.

This site is so USAcentric and has so many FANBOYS and HOMERS ... lol

Calgary is bigger and has by far the better skyline.
It's a site based in the US, so what do you expect? Even then, Canadian cities are highly praised on here.

Calgary is actually quite a bit smaller. And skylines don't equate to being a better city for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Go to Google, and type in Portland Antifa...you'll see.
Yes, because this is something that happens daily in Portland and represents the city/people as a whole.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:20 PM

6,535 posts, read 5,842,461 times
Quote:
I don't doubt for a second that as long as one thinks like a left-wing terrorist, one will be fine in Portland. But pretty shameful that you'd condone that type of behavior.
hyperbole much?

Itís really weird..... Even though Iím a 1%er and was staying in one of the nicer hotels in the heart of downtown Portland, I was never harassed. I saw plenty of retired couples walking the streets, seemingly oblivious to the obvious danger you are alerting us to.

On second thought, I did stop at the Nike store while I was there and get some new kicks. They must have realized I was hip to the cause and left me alone.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-12-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 06:19 PM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times
Quote:
Could you possibly be any more melodramatic? Sorry, but we're not consuming the Fox News fear propaganda. If if I bought into that crap, then I'd be scared to visit Charleston because some Nazi leaning loser shot up a black church. But I'm not because I know that Charleston is a lovely and beautifully colorful city with a great ambiance. It's not hard to figure that life on the daily in Portland isn't consumed by an agenda based on political hysteria, which is exactly where you're coming with the same extreme biased as the jackasses that were on the streets of Portland for a day, just the other side of that same coin. Equating it to terror and violence aa if it were like Syria, get real man. There's so much more life, and on that point, there is so much more to Portland as well. It's not hard to see once put down the extreme right wing Kool Aid for a minute.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-12-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 06:36 PM

20,872 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Do you have a source to back up your claim about senior citizens being harassed in Portland in the manner that you describe? Also you're saying Portland's reputation went "down the sewer" based on what two posters on this forum think? Real estate values have increased significantly there in the past few years, which is probably a better indicator that that is not the case.
Vincent, as a senior citizen who previously lived in Portland I can definitely attest to the fact that I was harassed often. Seniors, particularly women, especially tend to get harassed in the downtown area. I believe it's due to the fact we often take buses during quiet times in the day and bus shelters are popular places for panhandlers to hang out asking for money.

They prey on the premise that older people are more timid and are therefore more likely to give them a handout. Some of the elderly are intimidated into it because trust me, they do not ask nicely.

I don't have any proof other than my own experiences and those of friends but suffice it to say I believe there is truth in what Twinsfans says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or