U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you like more?
Portland, OR 30 50.00%
Calgary 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM

6,535 posts, read 5,842,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Vincent, as a senior citizen who previously lived in Portland I can definitely attest to the fact that I was harassed often. Seniors, particularly women, especially tend to get harassed in the downtown area. I believe it's due to the fact we often take buses during quiet times in the day and bus shelters are popular places for panhandlers to hang out asking for money.

They prey on the premise that older people are more timid and are therefore more likely to give them a handout. Some of the elderly are intimidated into it because trust me, they do not ask nicely.

I don't have any proof other than my own experiences and those of friends but suffice it to say I believe there is truth in what Twinsfans says.
Being harassed for money by homeless people (who I did see a lot of in Portland, but not aggressively panhandling) is very different than what team MAGA is talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 PM
BMI

6,521 posts, read 3,792,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
LOL, the Portland metro area has a million more people than the Calgary metro and Portland's scenery sure beats what Calgary has.... I love Canada and would love to live north of the border, but Calgary is definitely not one of the places in Canada I would pick.
Portland scenery beats Calgary....maybe....maybe not....

Awesome Canadian Rockies are just an hour west of Calgary and can be seen from the city.

Amazing skiing at resorts like Sunshine Village near Banff.

Portland, OR vs Calgary-4857c427-8120-4d82-9d60-c905e1d22d07.jpeg

Portland, OR vs Calgary-a800f2d5-1cb6-4ed3-a9f7-3234d8d3fecd.jpeg

Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 PM

6,535 posts, read 5,842,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Portland scenery beats Calgary....maybe....maybe not....

Awesome Canadian Rockies are just an hour west of Calgary and can be seen from the city.

Amazing skiing at resorts like Sunshine Village near Banff.

Attachment 203714

Attachment 203716
Calgary is a lot like Denver in that respect. The city itself isn’t all that stunning but nearby it’s beautiful.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:56 PM

5,373 posts, read 7,662,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Calgary is a lot like Denver in that respect. The city itself isnít all that stunning but nearby itís beautiful.
Calgary has some really nice areas near the river, but you won't be getting spectacular mountain views from the city (At least from what I can tell). For example, this is what you see heading West out of Calgary looking toward the mountains https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0669...8i6656!5m1!1e4. It's a lot more like Sacramento in that regard.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:36 PM
BMI

6,521 posts, read 3,792,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Calgary has some really nice areas near the river, but you won't be getting spectacular mountain views from the city (At least from what I can tell). For example, this is what you see heading West out of Calgary looking toward the mountains https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0669...8i6656!5m1!1e4. It's a lot more like Sacramento in that regard.
Well...maybe youíre right...then again you could be a bit wrong too...

Depends on where in Calgary you are ....

NW suburban area of Edgemont has houses that back on to open space and have views of the Rockies
and some even have views of both the city and the mountains....I know that for a fact as I have a
cousin who lives there and have seen the views myself.

Granted the Rockies arenít exactly next door but you can see them looming
along the horizon.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 908,574 times
Portland. Calgary's economy is based on extraction of environmentally destructive bitumen in oil sands. Calgary is a colder, blander, smaller Dallas.

Portland meanwhile has a great food scene, has a very unique personality, is surrounded by stunning scenery, has some great neighborhoods and is more progressive.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Well...maybe youíre right...then again you could be a bit wrong too...

Depends on where in Calgary you are ....

NW suburban area of Edgemont has houses that back on to open space and have views of the Rockies
and some even have views of both the city and the mountains....I know that for a fact as I have a
cousin who lives there and have seen the views myself.

Granted the Rockies arenít exactly next door but you can see them looming
along the horizon.
So? The Appalachian Mountains are an hour from where I live in Washington DC and nobody considers DC a mountain city.

Portland has impressive scenery within city limits, just minutes from Downtown. Google Washington Park.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Calgary is a lot like Denver in that respect. The city itself isn’t all that stunning but nearby it’s beautiful.
No. Denver is much, much closer to the mountains. Clear Creek Canyon Park - where the abrupt entry into the Rockies begins - is fifteen minutes from Downtown Denver and abuts Denver's inner suburbs like Golden and Lakewood.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM

20,872 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Quote:
Being harassed for money by homeless people (who I did see a lot of in Portland, but not aggressively panhandling) is very different than what team MAGA is talking about.
And I am not talking about homeless people. I said pandhandlers. No doubt many of whom had homes to go to after their day of harrassing people.

Whether it was politically motivated or just a way to make easy money the fact is threatening is threatening and thatís what they do. Iíve had to have the cops intervene at a stop once when they noticed a panhandler wouldnít leave me alone. Another time I managed to get rid of one jerk by dodging into a store. I worked in downtown Portland for decades. The longer I worked there the worse it got.

And if you want to talk about violent riots in Portland, thatís nothing new there. Iíve been trapped on a bus trying to get home from work by protestors who decided they didnít want the passengers to leave downtown long before the present rioters came to town.

There have been times when I had to stay in my office waiting until the streets were clear. Many times over the past years these gangs from both sides toolk over and it just was not safe. Ironically, I did my protesting in the 60ís when I was living in Chicago but never violent as Iíve seen in Portland.

The OPís question was either Portland or Calgary. My perspective is from one who actually lived in Portland. Not from the news or Internet. The safety issues are some of the reasons I would not choose to live there.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM

403 posts, read 227,755 times
https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/15/r...m_medium=email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or