Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you like more?
Portland, OR 33 47.83%
Calgary 36 52.17%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

How is this even a question? Calgary destroys Portland in every category Portland claims to do so well.

Portland's light rail? Calgary is a smaller city but has over twice the ridership with their light rail. Skyline? Calgary's skyline is as big as Seattle's.

Calgary is also the most conservative major city in Canada in Canada's most conservative province (I know, Alberta is only about as conservative as Colorado, but still, that's conservative by Canadian standards).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
How is this even a question? Calgary destroys Portland in every category Portland claims to do so well.

Portland's light rail? Calgary is a smaller city but has over twice the ridership with their light rail. Skyline? Calgary's skyline is as big as Seattle's.

Calgary is also the most conservative major city in Canada in Canada's most conservative province (I know, Alberta is only about as conservative as Colorado, but still, that's conservative by Canadian standards).
These are literally the only two things you guys keep bringing up. Because they're the only two things that make Calgary stand out. I doubt you guys know much else about it...

Higher ridership doesn't equate to a better system and I don't understand why a lot of you seem to think that. Portland's light rail is much more expansive and covers a wider area. The US in general just doesn't care as much about PT as most of the World. Ridership isn't everything.

As for skyline, Calgary's skyline appears larger than cities like LA, Boston, Montreal, etc. Aka, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Portland has a much more happening Downtown and is less boring (Imo).

Old 10-30-2018, 11:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Skyline wars would be Calgary way over Portland. As for Calgary meeting Seattle on this level, yes, they are close if you add up total height and mass. However, Seattle has a big suburban skyline with Bellevue, which Calgary does not. But kudos to Calgary for a "statement" skyline. Portland residents don't care about this generally.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 PM

Calgary is the only city I've been to outside of the US and I've only stayed in Portland for 2 days.

quality of life: Calgary
economy: Portland's is larger although Calgary is booming fast
nightlife: Portland
scenery: Portland by a good bit
daytime activities/events: Portland
shopping/entertainment venues: Edge to Portland, but I can see Calgary making a case
transportation: Not sure. People will say Calgary based on ridership numbers, but again...that's not everything.
overall vibe: For me, Portland is much more fun and exciting. Calgary just feels really sterile and exactly how you would imagine Canada to be. Nice, but a big snooze fest.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:31 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Not sure all of Canada is a "big snooze fest", but your point is taken. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are world-class cities that would not be considered as such. But, yeah, outside these main centers, (or centres) it becomes a little sterile and boring. A Canadian friend once told me that if you think Calgary is boring, just go to Edmonton, and you will wonder why you went to Edmonton.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-30-2018 at 11:54 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure all of Canada is a "big snooze fest", but your point is taken. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are world-class cities that would not be considered as such. But, yeah, outside these main centers, it becomes a little sterile and boring. A Canadian friend once told me that if you think Calgary is boring, just go to Edmonton, and you will still think Calgary is boring.
Not all of Canada of course. I'd love to visit Toronto/Vancouver and they spark my interest. But I do think places like Calgary are the equivalent to "Middle America." It can be a nice place to live, but it's not the most exciting.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:14 AM

413 posts, read 323,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
It's crazy to think this is what portland is being judged on, sounds like people nitpicking to blow something up way more than it really is. I doubt if the average person in Portland has anything to do with this.

See above post. You can deny all you want and cry "faux news" and "alt right" and "KKK" etc. but the reality is Portland has a problem, in not only reality but perception and it is hurting the city considerably.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:22 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
See above post. You can deny all you want and cry "faux news" and "alt right" and "KKK" etc. but the reality is Portland has a problem, in not only reality but perception and it is hurting the city considerably.
The reality is that people have a perception issue where something occurring, even if it occurs multiple times, are statistically meaningless when the population size is as large as it is for the city and metropolitan area. It's really insane how bad basic statistical understanding in the US is. This is why we end up importing so many scientists and engineers and why we are so middling in standardized testing compared to peer countries despite our great wealth, and why people with perceptions like yours exist in abundance in this country.

I'm not judging Portland based on that kind of misperception though, so that's why I voted Portland.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:25 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure all of Canada is a "big snooze fest", but your point is taken. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are world-class cities that would not be considered as such. But, yeah, outside these main centers, (or centres) it becomes a little sterile and boring. A Canadian friend once told me that if you think Calgary is boring, just go to Edmonton, and you will wonder why you went to Edmonton.
I was told by a pair of Edmontonians that Calgary is nothing compared to Edmonton in that Edmonton actually had culture while all Calgary had were suits and skyscrapers. I think there might be a Calgary / Edmonton rivalry of sorts though.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:17 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
The perception problem is only with the far right. Like I said, I went there recently and found it to be a very nice city with a tremendous amount of character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City