U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:47 PM

1,712 posts, read 777,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Obviously A. No one in their right mind would imply better hiking and camping in DFW over Seattle. And to be fair, I didn't even mention Houston. If we're going by hiking & camping, then this would be the order:

1. Seattle
2. Denver

3. Dallas
4. Houston

*I could possibly see someone preferring Denver over Seattle due to climate preferences. Seattle without a doubt has the best outdoor options when you factor in the proximity to the coast, but it also has a lousy climate. Houston and Dallas would have more favorable winter weather to enjoy being outside in; however, camping is limited and hiking is mediocre at best (or non-existent in Houston's case).
Ahh got it got it. My bad, I thought the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 03:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,320,662 times
What about either Atlanta or Washington DC areas?

Old Today, 05:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,561,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Ahh got it got it. My bad, I thought the opposite.
You are correct in thinking that some people would prefer Denver, I think.

I just spent a week in Seattle (Capitol Hill/downtown/Ballard), and I feel like I would go crazy if I had to live there. It was partly cloudy and everyone said I "picked beautiful days to visit," but even something about partially cloudy in Seattle felt very dreary and depressing... and the cold was biting even though it wasn't that cold!

I felt so happy when I got back in Denver. It was the same temperature in Denver but felt at least 10 degrees warmer. It had snowed the day before, but but as is typical, the next day everything was sunny and melting and glistening. Maybe I've just gotten used to Denver, but when I was driving back from the airport surrounded by brown grassy desert, dry air, and sunshine... I just felt elated.

Of course, when it comes to urban amenities, walkability, culture, etc, Seattle is preferable. Neighborhoods feel more integrated with people living mostly on their feet. And rather than a small string of 3-4 street blocks with stores and restaurants along a single street, the hot neighborhoods felt like there were hundreds of places for many more blocks, a few streets wide.

But Denver has still has pretty much everything most people would want after the wish for urban glitz and excitement give way to practicality. Maybe just a bit too car-centric, and with ugly suburbs (I imagine the suburbs in Seattle are better).

Old Today, 06:10 PM

1,944 posts, read 1,940,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
What about either Atlanta or Washington DC areas?
Not DC... maybe Atlanta. DC gays for the most part are very liberal, career focused and less relationship oriented. Atlanta gays are a bit more conservative in general and tend to be in relationships. I've lived in both. Imo based on your options.. Dallas and Houston are probably your best bets.

Old Today, 06:48 PM

3,011 posts, read 2,421,923 times
I'd definitely go with Denver from your description. It matches in sports, beats in outdoors (except for Seattle maybe), has a big nightlife and LGTB scene. It's also the least congested of all your options, is still affordable if you are content with a 1 bedroom condo / apartment, and has a good urban scene. I don't think the congestion and price headaches of Seattle or any other big city would be worth it given that Denver fits what you want from what you said. Politics won't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or