U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,320,662 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

If you're a late 30s single gay white male, who is more conservative (relatively speaking) and is more interested in finding a guy to settle down with, more into watching your favorite sports team play at a bar and going hiking or camping for the weekend, and somewhat geeky and/or socially awkward, which of these cities would you recommend?

I've been to the first three and could see myself decently happy in all of them. I've never been to Seattle, but it seems to be a hot spot that would also fit my personality fairly well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 08:49 PM

1,712 posts, read 777,279 times
Seattle, Denver, DFW, Houston in that order. Seattle seemed to have a pretty active gay scene, and there’s a ton to do in the broader area. Denver is like Seattle, but it’s a less interesting city (not really close to me). Still, the area has endless options for exploration.

Any reason Austin isn’t on your list? Progressive sure, but still plenty of libertarian blood there. More fun than Dallas to Houston, prettier area of Texas, and far more lively and welcoming.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:07 PM

1,895 posts, read 1,023,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Seattle, Denver, DFW, Houston in that order. Seattle seemed to have a pretty active gay scene, and there’s a ton to do in the broader area. Denver is like Seattle, but it’s a less interesting city (not really close to me). Still, the area has endless options for exploration.

Any reason Austin isn’t on your list? Progressive sure, but still plenty of libertarian blood there. More fun than Dallas to Houston, prettier area of Texas, and far more lively and welcoming.
The bolded is really debatable, especially for someone in their 30's. Sounds like you haven't spent much time in Dallas. It's definitely lively and welcoming to LGBT. The largest LGBT population in TX resides there and has the MOST vibrant gay scene in TX (Oak Lawn neighborhood). And I can only see Denver over DFW if camping and hiking are top priorities. But for nightlife, larger LGBT pop, etc. no way.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The bolded is really debatable, especially for someone in their 30's. Sounds like you haven't spent much time in Dallas. It's definitely lively and welcoming to LGBT. The largest LGBT population in TX resides there and has the MOST vibrant gay scene in TX (Oak Lawn neighborhood). And I can only see Denver over DFW if camping and hiking are top priorities. But for nightlife, larger LGBT pop, etc. no way.
I’ve spent a good amount of time in Dallas, predominantly weekdays downtown, and weekends in Uptown, and in Deep Ellum. It’s just not my style, but I understand the appeal for some. I would not consider it remotely lively, especially for a city of its size. Not ever buzzing during the weekday, and certainly not on the weekends. A few pockets of foot traffic, and people hanging outside the bars is as much action as I ever witnessed. There is definitely a sizable gay scene for sure, maybe even more prevalent than in Denver from my expererience.

As for the camping comment- You can’t honestly tell me that DFW has better camping and hiking than Seattle. Please tell me you’re not saying that. Please?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 PM

4,027 posts, read 2,397,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Hi everyone,

If you're a late 30s single gay white male, who is more conservative (relatively speaking) and is more interested in finding a guy to settle down with, more into watching your favorite sports team play at a bar and going hiking or camping for the weekend, and somewhat geeky and/or socially awkward, which of these cities would you recommend?

I've been to the first three and could see myself decently happy in all of them. I've never been to Seattle, but it seems to be a hot spot that would also fit my personality fairly well.
So Seattle is certainly not conservative, Denver is purplish. Dallas and Houston may have the balance you seem to be looking for. Not sure either have a hiking or camping scene, no offense Dallasites and Houstonians.

Austin does though, but it's got that silly hipster, screaming liberal vibe. Conservative it is not.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I’ve spent a good amount of time in Dallas, predominantly weekdays downtown, and weekends in Uptown, and in Deep Ellum. It’s just not my style, but I understand the appeal for some. I would not consider it remotely lively, especially for a city of its size. Not ever buzzing during the weekday, and certainly not on the weekends. A few pockets of foot traffic, and people hanging outside the bars is as much action as I ever witnessed. There is definitely a sizable gay scene for sure, maybe even more prevalent than in Denver from my expererience.

As for the camping comment- You can’t honestly tell me that DFW has better camping and hiking than Seattle. Please tell me you’re not saying that. Please?
It's certainly not as lively nor has the foot traffic of Seattle, but Austin is debatable (which is the only city I was comparing it to, so it's relative). Uptown/Deep Ellum are certainly comparable to the lively spots in Austin and both have changed considerably over the past couple of years (DE is especially packed on weekends). Downtown is still evolving, but it does depend on where you're at. Most of the "buzz" is around Main St or up around Klyde Warren Park. And that's not even including Lower Greenville, Knox St, Oak Lawn (gayborhood), and Bishop Arts. The recent explosion of bikes and now electric scooters has been bringing more people out, that's for sure.

Re: Denver -- I literally said Denver over DFW if camping and hiking are major priorities.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:02 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,320,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So Seattle is certainly not conservative, Denver is purplish. Dallas and Houston may have the balance you seem to be looking for. Not sure either have a hiking or camping scene, no offense Dallasites and Houstonians.

Austin does though, but it's got that silly hipster, screaming liberal vibe. Conservative it is not.
I'm a slightly left leaning moderate politically. That being said, I'm probably more conservative than the average LGBTQ+ person. But I mean conservative more from a lifestyle perspective than a political one.

I'm interested in a comparison between the cities I've listed. Austin may be nice, but then people will suggest other cities and I won't be able to get much data out of it.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 PM

6,193 posts, read 9,517,970 times
Honestly if camping and hiking are very important to you, forget DFW. The camping options within 1-2 hours are lame and the hiking sucks. DFW's best hiking trails would probably be a 3 on a 10-scale if they were in a real outdoorsy city like Denver or Seattle. Plus the weather there is terrible during prime hiking and camping season (May-September/October). Lived in both Denver DFW, and I would never suggest DFW to someone who's really into the outdoors.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's certainly not as lively nor has the foot traffic of Seattle, but Austin is debatable (which is the only city I was comparing it to, so it's relative). Uptown/Deep Ellum are certainly comparable to the lively spots in Austin and both have changed considerably over the past couple of years (DE is especially packed on weekends). Downtown is still evolving, but it does depend on where you're at. Most of the "buzz" is around Main St or up around Klyde Warren Park. And that's not even including Lower Greenville, Knox St, Oak Lawn (gayborhood), and Bishop Arts. The recent explosion of bikes and now electric scooters has been bringing more people out, that's for sure.

Re: Denver -- I literally said Denver over DFW if camping and hiking are major priorities.
I know what you said. Disregarding Seattle when you say Denver over DFW if camping and hiking are major priorities either means A. You think Seattle hiking and camping far exceed either, or B. Seattle falls behind the two in that category.

Iím hoping you meant the former as DFW isnít even in the same sphere as Seattle or Denver.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I know what you said. Disregarding Seattle when you say Denver over DFW if camping and hiking are major priorities either means A. You think Seattle hiking and camping far exceed either, or B. Seattle falls behind the two in that category.

Iím hoping you meant the former as DFW isnít even in the same sphere as Seattle or Denver.
Obviously A. No one in their right mind would imply better hiking and camping in DFW over Seattle. And to be fair, I didn't even mention Houston. If we're going by hiking & camping, then this would be the order:

1. Seattle
2. Denver

3. Dallas
4. Houston

*I could possibly see someone preferring Denver over Seattle due to climate preferences. Seattle without a doubt has the best outdoor options when you factor in the proximity to the coast, but it also has a lousy climate. Houston and Dallas would have more favorable winter weather to enjoy being outside in; however, camping is limited and hiking is mediocre at best (or non-existent in Houston's case).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or