U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 AM

300 posts, read 125,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that Atlanta's sphere of influence doesn't extend to the entire South, but I'd argue that it has the widest sphere of influence within the undisputed South (which also extends to north FL and MS to an extent). That's a result of Atlanta being more centralized within the region and not located along the fringes and as a result, practically no one questions the geographic or cultural identity of Atlanta and the places within its sphere of influence. But at the end of the day, Miami really isn't in contention for the most dominant city within the South for obvious reasons.
Oof, I meant to say folks in southern Florida would not consider their big city to be Atlanta. I see what youíre saying about the undisputed south. I still think Miami and Houston are still technically southern and major enough that Atlanta is not as good of a candidate as Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 AM

300 posts, read 125,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I'm not seeing Miami's influence at all in Northern Florida, the Panhandle, or Southern Georgia...
I didnít say anything about that..?

Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Oof, I meant to say folks in southern Florida would not consider their big city to be Atlanta. I see what youíre saying about the undisputed south. I still think Miami and Houston are still technically southern and major enough that Atlanta is not as good of a candidate as Chicago.
Houston (and also Dallas), sure. Miami isn't nearly as much of a factor though--not because it isn't a major city, but because its domestic influence is much more limited in scope. That's the linchpin.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
Boston may not dominate the Northeast but its clearly dominant in New England. Boston is the only major city in New England.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:00 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
There are sooo many levels to "influence."

What airport is your transfer point to that overseas flight?

What teams do you watch?

What city do you admire, which might influence your cultural outlook?

Where's the regional office of your employer/supplier/consulate/etc.?

Where do you go for conventions?

I'd probably vote Denver because it's the only major city for a very long way. SLC is too far behind.

Seattle sorta, but not as much. Portland is clearly second but its size makes it less reliant on the bigger sibling, and it shares some of those region-leading functions.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:40 PM

619 posts, read 442,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
This is definitely not true for Charlotte, Birmingham, or Jacksonville. I see Atlanta's influence in Raleigh, all Alabama cities, and some Mississippi cities. Northern Florida is much more like an extension of Georgia than it is of Miami. Nashville and Kentucky cities are questionable since they are not in the Piedmont, but Mutiny77 is correct in saying that Atlanta is the region's dominant city and does influence millions of inhabitants. There are no other cities (metro) as large or economically/and or socially important for several hundred miles. No other city has the amenities, culture, or infrastructure of the Atlanta region for the Southeast. Turn on your tv and see who is campaigning for Stacey Abrams. That is Atlanta in a nutshell.
I think you guys are confusing relevance with dominance.
ATL is relevant to the entire south east. In fact it is relevant to the entire US.
I am not saying in Raleigh people act like ATL doesn't exist, what I'm saying is Raleigh is a city big enough that it is self sufficient and people in and around Raleigh think of the Raleigh Durham area as the big city and not ATL. Of course they think of ATL as the bigger city but it isn't like the relationship between Macon and ATL.

Same for the Alabama cities. Atlanta is the biggest in the area, but for the southern part Montgomery is the big city in the area, Birmingham for the northeastern part, and so on and so on.

In Texas for example Houston is much bigger than San Antonio. Houston is on San Antonio radar, but Houston does not dominate San Antonio or parts west of San Antonio. Again people there may visit Houston maybe to catch a flight or to go to a diplomatic mission, but Houston doesn't dominate SA in the least.

ATL dominance is being confused with is proximity to an equal sized city. That's not how things work. If that was true then Mexico City would be the dominant city in Texas as there is nothing comparable in size between it and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Montgomery...you forgot Montgomery. Since you included a city so small, you might as well throw in Columbus, Augusta, Chattanooga, and Macon. Just keep Atlanta's influence completely within Georgia.

And I find this notion to be utterly ridiculous myself. Obviously Atlanta's influence wanes past those cities but to say it is completely absent is way off base. For some reason, I don't think you'd ever say that Dallas's and/or Houston's influence doesn't extend past San Anonio or Austin.
Montgomery too. The megaregion interconnectivity map in the post I quoted above shows what I'm talking about. I was generous giving ATL of of Georgia and spilling into neighboring states. But the dominance may be smaller. It looks like Savannah is holding it's own in the southeast part of the state and Tallahassee is spilling in to the South West part instead of the other way around.

Again who says anything about non-existent? I never said that Atlanta influential was non-existent in the neighboring states? And yes I would and did say that Houstons influence does not extent pay San Antonio. When you get to San Antonio that becomes the big city for parts west. ATL is hemmed in by Nashville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Charlotte, Jacksonville and I would add Savannah and Tallahassee.
You might not think of them as being big but to people in surrounding micropolitan areas, Savannah, Tallahassee and Montgomery is The city for them. Not Atlanta.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:53 PM

13,610 posts, read 22,060,104 times
Atlanta is the hegemon of The American South.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:50 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think you guys are confusing relevance with dominance.
ATL is relevant to the entire south east. In fact it is relevant to the entire US.
I am not saying in Raleigh people act like ATL doesn't exist, what I'm saying is Raleigh is a city big enough that it is self sufficient and people in and around Raleigh think of the Raleigh Durham area as the big city and not ATL. Of course they think of ATL as the bigger city but it isn't like the relationship between Macon and ATL.

Same for the Alabama cities. Atlanta is the biggest in the area, but for the southern part Montgomery is the big city in the area, Birmingham for the northeastern part, and so on and so on.

In Texas for example Houston is much bigger than San Antonio. Houston is on San Antonio radar, but Houston does not dominate San Antonio or parts west of San Antonio. Again people there may visit Houston maybe to catch a flight or to go to a diplomatic mission, but Houston doesn't dominate SA in the least.

ATL dominance is being confused with is proximity to an equal sized city. That's not how things work. If that was true then Mexico City would be the dominant city in Texas as there is nothing comparable in size between it and New York

Montgomery too. The megaregion interconnectivity map in the post I quoted above shows what I'm talking about. I was generous giving ATL of of Georgia and spilling into neighboring states. But the dominance may be smaller. It looks like Savannah is holding it's own in the southeast part of the state and Tallahassee is spilling in to the South West part instead of the other way around.

Again who says anything about non-existent? I never said that Atlanta influential was non-existent in the neighboring states? And yes I would and did say that Houstons influence does not extent pay San Antonio. When you get to San Antonio that becomes the big city for parts west. ATL is hemmed in by Nashville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Charlotte, Jacksonville and I would add Savannah and Tallahassee.
You might not think of them as being big but to people in surrounding micropolitan areas, Savannah, Tallahassee and Montgomery is The city for them. Not Atlanta.
This is why I said earlier that we see this differently. There's a reason why I prefer to talk about "influence" as opposed to "dominance." I find the latter to be a much more amorphous concept than the former.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,258,599 times
I mean, if we are talking about influence, then I don't see why Houston and DFW being close to each other somehow hurts their case. They are very close in size but, while neither dominates the other, they certainly strongly influence each other, about evenly,as well as the entire Texas triangle and parts of Louisiana. Meaning DFW is in Houston's sphere of influence and Houston is in DFW's sphere of influence.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:21 PM

562 posts, read 542,539 times
Boston : New England :: DC : Mid-Atlantic (VA,MD,DC,DE)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or