Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:18 PM

923 posts, read 655,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is little to any influence of Atlanta in Texas and South Florida.
So is little or no influence?lol You dont sound sure yourself.I nver said it was a lot notice no one is arguing it as a possibility for either of the Texas cities.That alone must give some reason to pause an accept that there is a reason why even people outside of the South might think this.

This is why I was making the distinction between dominance and influence.Having some influence doesnt mean its the dominating influential factor but just a small part of many influences.
As far as any other city in the entire South,there is no other city that represents the South collectively within a much wider reach,than Atlanta.Just my IMO from what I see and hear

In Hip Jop and music Atlanta looms large all over the US.
Waffle House,Chick-fil A,Home Depot,Coca Cola can be seen all over Texas in much the same way LA,NYC,has invaded cultures across the country in every region.
Of course its not anywhere near the level of those cities but you said little to none so which is it?Little or none?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:31 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
So is little or no influence?lol You dont sound sure yourself.I nver said it was a lot notice no one is arguing it as a possibility for either of the Texas cities.That alone must give some reason to pause an accept that there is a reason why even people outside of the South might think this.

This is why I was making the distinction between dominance and influence.Having some influence doesnt mean its the dominating influential factor but just a small part of many influences.
As far as any other city in the entire South,there is no other city that represents the South collectively within a much wider reach,than Atlanta.Just my IMO from what I see and hear

In Hip Jop and music Atlanta looms large all over the US.
Waffle House,Chick-fil A,Home Depot,Coca Cola can be seen all over Texas in much the same way LA,NYC,has invaded cultures across the country in every region.
Of course its not anywhere near the level of those cities but you said little to none so which is it?Little or none?
Little to none not or. You know what I mean. Meaning Atlanta isn’t on the radar in Texas nearly 100% of the time. Only curiosity. Nothing else. It might as well be in a different region. But if you want to me to be absolute. None and there is no reason to be influenced by Atlanta. There’s a pappadeux in Atlanta, is it influenced by Houston now? Dr Pepper I’m sure is sold in Atlanta. Is it influenced by Waco?

Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,725,912 times
Quote:
So is little or no influence?lol ?
does watching love and hip hop count?
No. ATL had no influence on Texas.

By the way you say Waffle House is all over the South but you are forgetting Texas based chains such as Chilli's and La Madeline are all over the place too. When about ExxonMobil, connoco Phillips, etc etc.
Chains are chains for a reason. They are everywhere and does not speak to dominance or influence.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Little to none not or. You know what I mean. Meaning Atlanta isn’t on the radar in Texas nearly 100% of the time. Only curiosity. Nothing else. It might as well be in a different region. But if you want to me to be absolute. None and there is no reason to be influenced by Atlanta. There’s a pappadeux in Atlanta, is it influenced by Houston now? Dr Pepper I’m sure is sold in Atlanta. Is it influenced by Waco?
Yeh and theres 100s of Arbys,Chick fil A,Krystals,Popeyes,Moes Southwestern ,Zaxbys etc also
Pappadeaux nor Dr.Pepper are representative of Texas or a whole region like Waffle House is to the South or Coke or Trap music etc.
Many artist around the world including Houston have been influenced by Atlanta music scene.
Even though they have their own sound in Houston it hasnt influenced outside of Houston

Old 11-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
does watching love and hip hop count?
No. ATL had no influence on Texas.

By the way you say Waffle House is all over the South but you are forgetting Texas based chains such as Chilli's and La Madeline are all over the place too. When about ExxonMobil, connoco Phillips, etc etc.
Chains are chains for a reason. They are everywhere and does not speak to dominance or influence.
Once agian. Amyone who knows the culture of the South is familiar with Waffle House.
There are about 30 -40 Chilis in the state of Georgia.More than half in the Atlanta metro.
There are at least 40 in the Dallas Ft,Worth area alone.
Waffle House are even in rural areas unlike Chillis or La Madeline which I personally have seen but never been into

And what does love and Hip Hop have to do with artist in Houston who make music using a style developed and promoted in Atlanta?
Even Beyonce ihas been doing Trap for years now

Beyonce joins the Trap music bandwagon

https://www.complex.com/music/2018/0...rule-the-world

Now please explain to me how none of this is influence?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Yeh and theres 100s of Arbys,Chick fil A,Krystals,Popeyes,Moes Southwestern ,Zaxbys etc also
Pappadeaux nor Dr.Pepper are representative of Texas or a whole region like Waffle House is to the South or Coke or Trap music etc.
Many artist around the world including Houston have been influenced by Atlanta music scene.
Even though they have their own sound in Houston it hasnt influenced outside of Houston
Who In Houston besides the dude that made that flick of the wrist song has been influenced by Atlanta? To say Houston’s music scene hasn’t influenced anybody outside Houston would be false. Ask ASAP rocky if he wasn’t influenced by Houston. Or plenty of Cleveland artists or even Big KRIT. And Pappadeux or Dr Pepper isn’t representative of Texas? That’s laughable. You think Tex Mex is Texas right? What about Chuys? That’s in Atlanta and based in Texas. You’re trying your hardest to say Atlanta has influence in Texas. Texans are telling you it doesn’t.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Who In Houston besides the dude that made that flick of the wrist song has been influenced by Atlanta? To say Houston’s music scene hasn’t influenced anybody outside Houston would be false. Ask ASAP rocky if he wasn’t influenced by Houston. Or plenty of Cleveland artists or even Big KRIT. And Pappadeux or Dr Pepper isn’t representative of Texas? That’s laughable.
lol.We agree to disagree .I will add that when I said influence only in Houston I meant its sound is not relevant ion any level as Trap music is.I dont see how thats such a debatable thing to say

Old 11-04-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Who In Houston besides the dude that made that flick of the wrist song has been influenced by Atlanta? To say Houston’s music scene hasn’t influenced anybody outside Houston would be false. Ask ASAP rocky if he wasn’t influenced by Houston. Or plenty of Cleveland artists or even Big KRIT. And Pappadeux or Dr Pepper isn’t representative of Texas? That’s laughable. You think Tex Mex is Texas right? What about Chuys? That’s in Atlanta and based in Texas. You’re trying your hardest to say Atlanta has influence in Texas. Texans are telling you it doesn’t.
Well I think the influence goes both ways.Sure Tex Mex is really popular across the South.I have no problem admitting that.
As I said before there is a reason 3 of the 10 busiest Domestic routes are from Atlanta and not one Texas city.Something is going on there.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
lol.We agree to disagree .I will add that when I said influence only in Houston I meant its sound is not relevant ion any level as Trap music is.I dont see how thats such a debatable thing to say
Partly because before the trap music scene, Houston sound was indeed as popular and as influenced throughout many portions of the South. Especially in the western part of the south. Also -about the airports, it tells me little. I don’t know much about airline industries. But I hope you’re not saying Texans have to fly through Atlanta to get anywhere. Unless Delta isn’t involved, the chances of Texans needing to fly through Atlanta is very low. I’m flying from DC to Dallas next week and have no need to fly through Atlanta.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Partly because before the trap music scene, Houston sound was indeed as popular and as influenced throughout many portions of the South. Especially in the western part of the south. Also -about the airports, it tells me little. I don’t know much about airline industries. But I hope you’re not saying Texans have to fly through Atlanta to get anywhere. Unless Delta isn’t involved, the chances of Texans needing to fly through Atlanta is very low. I’m flying from DC to Dallas next week and have no need to fly through Atlanta.
The point is every region has had some prominence in music at one time or another but Atlanta has had it going on over 20 years now and its world wide!
What you are talking about lasted less than a decade with some small prominence in the U,S, but mostly the SOuth and it was not ever THE main or ONLY sound in music but one of many.
No you totally mossed what I said about airline routes.

Domestically there are several routes between certain cities in the U.S. that are well traveled the most by Americans.Like MYC to LA or LA to SF or Chicago to NY.
Here is the list
Busiest Air Routes in the USA
View information as a: List Chart
Rank City A City B Passengers (September 2014 - August 2015, Millions)
1 Chicago New York 4
2 Los Angeles San Francisco 3.6
3 Los Angeles New York 3.4
4 Chicago Los Angeles 3
5 Miami New York 2.8
6 Atlanta Chicago 2.7
7 Chicago Minneapolis 2.7
8 Atlanta New York 2.6
9 Atlanta Orlando 2.6

10 Chicago Washington, DC 2.6

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...n-the-usa.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City