U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 40 31.50%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.57%
Boston (NE) 14 11.02%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.79%
Charlotte (S) 1 0.79%
Chicago (MW) 53 41.73%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.79%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.79%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.79%
Dallas (S) 17 13.39%
Denver (W) 12 9.45%
Detroit (MW) 1 0.79%
Houston (S) 3 2.36%
Indianapolis (MW) 2 1.57%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.79%
Kansas City (MW) 1 0.79%
Las Vegas (W) 0 0%
Los Angeles (W) 25 19.69%
Louisville (S) 1 0.79%
Memphis (S) 1 0.79%
Miami (S) 6 4.72%
Milwaukee (MW) 1 0.79%
Minneapolis (MW) 2 1.57%
Nashville (S) 2 1.57%
New Orleans (S) 3 2.36%
New York (NE) 36 28.35%
Orlando (S) 1 0.79%
Philadelphia (NE) 3 2.36%
Phoenix (W) 2 1.57%
Pittsburgh (NE) 2 1.57%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.79%
St. Louis (MW) 1 0.79%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.79%
San Antonio (S) 0 0%
San Diego (W) 2 1.57%
San Francisco (W) 10 7.87%
San Jose (W) 2 1.57%
Seattle (W) 6 4.72%
Tampa (S) 1 0.79%
Washington (NE) 3 2.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:12 AM

3,961 posts, read 1,936,696 times

Advertisements

i always find it weird that washington, d.c. is technically in the south:
https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 11:44 AM

514 posts, read 356,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i always find it weird that washington, d.c. is technically in the south:
https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf
It was planned that way.

Mutiny I know what you are saying but it's true. If any of the Texas cities was wiped out there would be no effect on Texas. And if Atlanta was wiped out, out would be felt in Georgia, north Florida, parts of the Carolinas, parts of Tennessee, parts of Alabama, but it would not registered in Texas at all.

To say a city dominates an area it has little to no effect on (I know you are not saying that but others are) is completely wrong. People in Greensboro may eventually have to go into Atlanta for a few things but west of Alabama they use the big cities in that area for that. In Texas there is not even an incidental connection, such as the connection between LA and DFW via shipping.

I have flown into Atlanta but have never even had to use Atlanta as a connection. Miami I have used consirably, as I have used DFW.

I would imagine that SF and LA feel the same way about each other even though they are much closer.

I think a city like Denver truly dominates it's region because there is nothing sizable for hundreds of miles in each direction.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:14 PM

2,357 posts, read 2,009,806 times
Chicago is easily the largest (population, GDP, etc) and most influential city in the Midwest, but Chicago is also a glass cannon. The sheer size of the Midwest both in terms of population and geography means that Chicago's actual pull outside of its immediate metropolitan area is quite limited.

Chicago has an edge in terms of wooing businesses for relocation and sucking up Big 10 college grads, but that's about it for its influence on the region as a whole.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Chicago tho is clearly tops in the Midwest in every metric you can think of.
New York is the same for the North East and LA for the West coast.

The South is the biggest regional, with the highest GDP and largest population but no clear dominant city. Atlanta clearly dominates the South East tho. I dunno why people, some of whom I doubt is familiar with the region like to generalize the entire region.

It is the 4th largest MSA or CSA in the south (5th by the census definition)
And the 13th largest city (16th going by the census regions).

Atlanta is the Pittsburgh of the North East, the Cincinnati of the Midwest, And Riverside/ San Bernardino of the West. Really odd that a suburb is the 4th largest metro in the West

Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJY1980 View Post
Atlanta isn't largely irrelevant to Texas. It is completely irrelevant.
Youíre missing his point. If Atlanta was where Shreveport is now, you donít think it wouldnít have an influence on East Texas? If Houston was where Dothan, Alabama, who do you think South Georgia would be more influenced by? Distance matters a ton.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Interesting:

1. Northeast + Midwest: 124,649,932

2. South: 123,658,624

3. West: 77,410,622

The South will probably be larger than both combined by the end of next year (likely sooner).

Old 10-20-2018, 02:52 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Atlanta is the Pittsburgh of the North East, the Cincinnati of the Midwest, And Riverside/ San Bernardino of the West. Really odd that a suburb is the 4th largest metro in the West

Old 10-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Those are the 4th largest metros in the other 3 regions.
Like the poster above you showed, the South is just too large.

I think people would be up in arms if I said Texas dominates the South, even though it does. I would hear that it's not really the South and all of that because they keep confusing, south and South East.

Also,
New York dominates the North East and is in the biggest state in the North East
Chicago dominates the Midwest and is in the biggest state in the Midwest.
LA dominates the West and is in the biggest state in the West.

ATL is the 5th largest metro, the 16th largest city in the 3rd largest state in the south. Heck N. Carolina might be larger than Georgia on a decade or two. By that time Texas will have metros bigger than the entire state that ATL is in and people are stating that Atlanta dominates the South? Well it does in Media. Well no, I wouldn't say dominate. I think it edges Miami but even there it still doesn't dominate.

When you dominate there is no question that you are number one. Like no one would is comparable to the dominant city in the NE, the Midwest and to a lesser extent the West. But in the South you have four or 5 cities that are really close in metrics and I can't figure out why people are saying it dominates. Again the South is just too big.

Heck Tampa is going to be joining the big boys soon. Atlanta may soon be closer in population to a greater Tampa Bay than to the Texas cities

Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Those are the 4th largest metros in the other 3 regions.
Like the poster above you showed, the South is just too large.
Ah ok, I see.

Quote:
I think people would be up in arms if I said Texas dominates the South, even though it does. I would hear that it's not really the South and all of that because they keep confusing, south and South East.
Texas doesn't dominate the entire South--as you stated, the region is simply too large--and there's long been plenty of debate about Texas not belonging to the South that has nothing to do with this topic.

Quote:
Also,
New York dominates the North East and is in the biggest state in the North East
Chicago dominates the Midwest and is in the biggest state in the Midwest.
LA dominates the West and is in the biggest state in the West.

ATL is the 5th largest metro, the 16th largest city in the 3rd largest state in the south. Heck N. Carolina might be larger than Georgia on a decade or two. By that time Texas will have metros bigger than the entire state that ATL is in and people are stating that Atlanta dominates the South? Well it does in Media. Well no, I wouldn't say dominate. I think it edges Miami but even there it still doesn't dominate.

When you dominate there is no question that you are number one. Like no one would is comparable to the dominant city in the NE, the Midwest and to a lesser extent the West. But in the South you have four or 5 cities that are really close in metrics and I can't figure out why people are saying it dominates. Again the South is just too big.

Heck Tampa is going to be joining the big boys soon. Atlanta may soon be closer in population to a greater Tampa Bay than to the Texas cities
Only one person is claiming that Atlanta dominates the entire South; it dominates a wide swath of the Southeast but not the South as a whole.

And no, Texas isn't going to have metros as populous as the entire state of Georgia in 10-20 years. Atlanta isn't a stagnant metro that's shriveling up in a corner somewhere you know.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,225 times
What is this Los Angeles dominates the West? Ainít no CSA of 8.5 million with a GDP of close to 900 billion dominated by a CSA thatís 400 miles away. Thatís laughable. There are only four cities that dominate their regions. New York in the Northeast, Chicago in the midwest, Denver in the mountain West and Atlanta in the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or