Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:32 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times

Advertisements

I will list four contenders: Hoboken, N.J. (NY), Arlington, VA (DC), Evanston, IL (Chicago) and Santa Monica, CA (LA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,099 times
Laval, QC (MTL), Orange County, CA (LA)

Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 AM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
I'd throw Bellevue WA (Seattle) in the ring as well!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Aw Santa Monica was already stolen, I would go with Coral Gables in Miami, Pasadena, and Glendale in LA are great contenders as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:21 AM

504 posts, read 615,674 times
Cambridge, Brookline, and Somerville, MA are all top contenders.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:31 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Is there a clear and universal definition of a suburb? I'm struggling because of this.

Why not Cambridge? Fort Worth? St Paul? At what point does a "suburb's" downtown grow to the point that it's no longer a suburb itself...like Bellevue and Evanston from the above suggestions, which have fully functioning downtown environments (Bellevue obviously much larger than Evanston) I know Ft Worth posters on here who dislike the "suburb" term immensely. So are we talking about anything outside the primary CBD of an MSA?

And then how far out from the CBD to be considered a suburb? Arlington used to be part of Washington DC. It is essentially built as an extension from DC and although not adjacent to downtown, pretty much is. If it counts as a suburb then what about Uptown in Dallas? Many seem to agree that Midtown and Downtown Atlanta are not all that well connected...so is Midtown acceptable? Seems absurd. How about NYC...where does it transition to suburb exactly?

Personally, I just don't know. I wouldn't ever consider Uptown Dallas or Midtown Atlanta as suburbs, but I also don't really see Arlington that way either. At least not the downtown parts of Arlington (Rosslyn/Courthouse).

As for twin-like separate cities, I guess it depends on the context. For this question, I wouldn't really consider DT Ft Worth, St Paul, Cambridge, etc to be suburbs, and so I am not sure where the scale ends or where I would put Bellevue.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Aw Santa Monica was already stolen, I would go with Coral Gables in Miami, Pasadena, and Glendale in LA are great contenders as well.
These all strike me as pretty solid answers. They at least pass the smell test for suburbs. But they wouldn't hold a candle to most of the "suburban" downtowns being suggested so far.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Is there a clear and universal definition of a suburb? I'm struggling because of this.

Why not Cambridge? Fort Worth? St Paul? At what point does a "suburb's" downtown grow to the point that it's no longer a suburb itself...like Bellevue and Evanston from the above suggestions, which have fully functioning downtown environments (Bellevue obviously much larger than Evanston) I know Ft Worth posters on here who dislike the "suburb" term immensely. So are we talking about anything outside the primary CBD of an MSA?

And then how far out from the CBD to be considered a suburb? Arlington used to be part of Washington DC. It is essentially built as an extension from DC and although not adjacent to downtown, pretty much is. If it counts as a suburb then what about Uptown in Dallas? Many seem to agree that Midtown and Downtown Atlanta are not all that well connected...so is Midtown acceptable? Seems absurd. How about NYC...where does it transition to suburb exactly?

Personally, I just don't know. I wouldn't ever consider Uptown Dallas or Midtown Atlanta as suburbs, but I also don't really see Arlington that way either. At least not the downtown parts of Arlington (Rosslyn/Courthouse).

As for twin-like separate cities, I guess it depends on the context. For this question, I wouldn't really consider DT Ft Worth, St Paul, Cambridge, etc to be suburbs, and so I am not sure where the scale ends or where I would put Bellevue.
For the purposes of this thread an urban "suburb" is a town/city outside of the central city. not too far outside. it could even be a a very urban city outside the central city like Hoboken, NJ.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Certainly parts of Long Island, be it “western Nassau County” or town specific such as Great Neck, Manhasset, Garden City, Mineola, Rockville Centre, some of the Five Towns, etc. Some of these towns felt as urban or more urban than some cities I have lived in.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-18-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
In order to keep this a fair discussion, I think an urban "suburb" of a neighboring major city should have no more than 25% of the adjacent major city's population. This will get rid of cities like St Paul, Fort Worth, etc which rightfully have enough pull on their own.

Upper Darby, PA; Towson, MD; Miami Beach, FL; Alexandria, VA or Silver Spring, MD; Hoboken, NJ (Jersey City technically qualifies, if we want to scale it because of how massive NYC is--Newark is too established); Cambridge, MA; Bellevue, WA; Evanston, IL; Santa Monica, CA (or Long Beach, given LA's size); Arlington, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City