U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:36 PM

22 posts, read 7,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
More conservative areas will be more family friendly, you picked a couple good ones. We used to live in AG.
What a small world! I've had a few people respond that are from SLOcounty. Where do you live now if you dont mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
On the "Pro" side for Boise.

-Idaho is very homeschool friendly, absolutly no state requirements (though most homeschoolers voluntarily take tests)

-Boise is pretty sunny, nothing like Portland in this regard.

-Plenty of family friendly religious type people.

-Way better and cheaper flight access to California.

-Houses in your price range near Boise. Yes, it will be hard to find that in town, but Kuna, Nampa etc should all have plenty of stuff in that price range.

-"Turn into California" Depends what you mean. The area continues to grow, but lots of the transplants are California Conservatives, so it isn't swinging left anytime soon.

Preference for beauty is subjective, I prefer the drier mountains of the west personally, so in my opinion, Boise is closer to much better scenic beauty than TN,but that is just a preference.

Don't forget that if you are from California, the Humidity in TN could be a rude awakening. It is very humid there. TN also still gets cold, and when it's humid and cold it's even worse. Boise gets kind of cold, but the winters arn't harsh and not that much colder than TN,where you will still see many lows below freezing.

Thank you for your input, you have been very helpful

Old 11-13-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Can't help you with advice, but I can say I know why you are leaving.

I grew up on the central coast, and wife and I left Nipomo (escaped as my wife says) a few years ago. I know exactly what you mean about no major airports nearby or other amenities. When we lived there, there was no decent shopping and few good restaurants in the area also. It's changed some now though. Of course, not to mention the housing cost coupled with the lack of decent paying jobs. We still have family in SLO; in fact I was up there last weekend.

We've thought of escaping CA also, but the weather is the biggest limiting factor for us. Everywhere else has weather issues... snow, heat, humidity, bugs, etc... We might revisit leaving after our youngest finishes school in a few years.

Anyway, good luck.
Hey! Small world. We lived in Nipomo too & now renting in Arroyo Grande. Honestly cant wait to get out of here, the only thing I'll miss is my family which is a pretty big deal but we actually want to own a home someday, ya know where did you end up moving to?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,569,846 times
Quote:
On the "Pro" side for Boise.

-Idaho is very homeschool friendly, absolutly no state requirements (though most homeschoolers voluntarily take tests)

-Boise is pretty sunny, nothing like Portland in this regard.

-Plenty of family friendly religious type people.

-Way better and cheaper flight access to California.

-Houses in your price range near Boise. Yes, it will be hard to find that in town, but Kuna, Nampa etc should all have plenty of stuff in that price range.

-"Turn into California" Depends what you mean. The area continues to grow, but lots of the transplants are California Conservatives, so it isn't swinging left anytime soon.

Preference for beauty is subjective, I prefer the drier mountains of the west personally, so in my opinion, Boise is closer to much better scenic beauty than TN,but that is just a preference.

Don't forget that if you are from California, the Humidity in TN could be a rude awakening. It is very humid there. TN also still gets cold, and when it's humid and cold it's even worse. Boise gets kind of cold, but the winters arn't harsh and not that much colder than TN,where you will still see many lows below freezing.
I've spoken to a couple of former Boise residents. They made it pretty clear to me that Boise and Idaho were conservative. Really conservative.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 AM

2,654 posts, read 4,955,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've spoken to a couple of former Boise residents. They made it pretty clear to me that Boise and Idaho were conservative. Really conservative.
Boise is actually liberal and leans to the left. It isn't as crazy liberal as say Portland but more sane. After the election last week the city turned even more blue.

Hillary Clinton won most of the precincts in the city limits of Boise the last presidential election. We are seeing that the conservative California transplants are moving to North Idaho while the more moderate and liberal transplants are relocating to Boise which is evident based on the past few elections

Idaho is generally conservative but there are still blue spots throughout the state outside of Boise. One thing to keep in mind is a conservative republican in Idaho (and the Intermountain West in general) is a lot different than a conservative republican in Texas or in the South.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 11-14-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 PM

Hey guys, I appreciate your comments.. I really do! I ask kindly that you please not turn my post into a political discussion. I am a conservative Jesus follower and made an informed decision to choose between Boise ID and Knoxville TN suburbs or Chattanooga because they are more conservative than California (as stated on original post). I am aware there are liberal pockets in every conservative city, especially on the West side of the map. If you have a comparison or opinion between the two I would love to hear it!

Old 11-14-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I've only driven though Knoxville so I can't give you a full comparison, but yeah, I would take Boise any day of the week just based on weather and that as the most important city in it's region hits above it's weight.

Nampa is fine, it just depends what part of town you are in.

Kuna is a quickly growing burb that used to be a small farm town. It is kind of brown, and in my opinion is located in the least desirable part of the Treasure Valley, location wise, but its not a bad spot and still not that far from the National Forests like everywhere else in the Boise area.

Thank you do you live in Treasue Valley? If so, would you say there is a large influx of people making the COL sky rocket? I just dont want to be trapped in the next California or Austin texas in 10yrs and have to move. I want a outdoorsy mellow suburb I can raise my children and live a simple life while running my business from home.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,537,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatpraylovemom View Post
Hey guys, I appreciate your comments.. I really do! I ask kindly that you please not turn my post into a political discussion. I am a conservative Jesus follower and made an informed decision to choose between Boise ID and Knoxville TN suburbs or Chattanooga because they are more conservative than California (as stated on original post). I am aware there are liberal pockets in every conservative city, especially on the West side of the map. If you have a comparison or opinion between the two I would love to hear it!
I live in The Northend in Boise.

Boise is a liberal city with conservative pockets. The suburbs are more conservative but even out in the burbs people for the most part are live and let live.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:31 AM

2,244 posts, read 1,015,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatpraylovemom View Post
Thank you do you live in Treasue Valley? If so, would you say there is a large influx of people making the COL sky rocket? I just dont want to be trapped in the next California or Austin texas in 10yrs and have to move. I want a outdoorsy mellow suburb I can raise my children and live a simple life while running my business from home.
I grew up there and still frequently visit. I hope to return for good at some point.

Yeah, housing has shot up, but that has been the case in literally every single city that has been growing.

Idaho isn't going to become California. It isn't going to become Austin either it's too isolated. It could become like a SLC, though it doesn't have as strong of a Mormon influence, so that isn't likely either.

Even though locals say the area has gotten crazy, it's still pretty mellow compared to lots of places. The Traffic isn't anything like how bad Austin is (I've spent a good amount of time in Austin) the politics are more moderate. People will tell you that infrastructure hasn't kept up well, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as people say, it's still fine for the most part.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 AM

2,244 posts, read 1,015,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Idaho is conservative/ libertarian, Boise not really. Were your friends Locals? Transplants? Whats their point of reference? Did they live in actual Boise or a suburb? How long did they live there?

It also should be noted that Conservatism in Idaho is different from places like Texas. Idaho is alot more live let live, there is tons of public land vs Texas etc. Texas has alot more "Big government" conservatism.

Have you actually ever spent time there or are you just offering a drive by opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City