Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:46 AM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I've been to a ton of similarly-sized cities to Richmond, many times over. Without a doubt Richmond is one of only a few of those cities that could even be brought up in a comparison with cities over twice its size. Richmond is an absolute jewel for its tier of all comparably sized cities, sorry you seem to not get it...
Agreed 100%.

Like my hometown of Kansas City, Richmond punches well above its weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 24,743 times
Honestly after all the discussion and a lot of thought on my end I think Richmond sounds like the most appealing city for me. I actually applied to VCUArts and was accepted but chose to move to NYC instead. I think after this "failed" attempt at a relocation to a new city my best bet might be heading back to Portland for the time being. I can get instate tuition and PSU and finish up my BFA in a timely manner.

That being said VCUArts looks like it has a great Graphic Design Program. I just don't want to put off school for another year (living in Virginia for a year to establish residency to get instate tuition pricing). I would really like to go check out Richmond soon though. Maybe I will end up there after finishing school in Portland. If only there was some way to get around the year wait to establish residency lol.

I really do appreciate all the advice from everyone! I'm just happy to be planning my escape from NYC at the end of this semester.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:38 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000flowersbloom View Post
Honestly after all the discussion and a lot of thought on my end I think Richmond sounds like the most appealing city for me. I actually applied to VCUArts and was accepted but chose to move to NYC instead. I think after this "failed" attempt at a relocation to a new city my best bet might be heading back to Portland for the time being. I can get instate tuition and PSU and finish up my BFA in a timely manner.

That being said VCUArts looks like it has a great Graphic Design Program. I just don't want to put off school for another year (living in Virginia for a year to establish residency to get instate tuition pricing). I would really like to go check out Richmond soon though. Maybe I will end up there after finishing school in Portland. If only there was some way to get around the year wait to establish residency lol.

I really do appreciate all the advice from everyone! I'm just happy to be planning my escape from NYC at the end of this semester.
I don't think you would enjoy Philly or Baltimore, both of whom are pretty gritty and not "outdoorsy' in the least. I think you miss Portland more than you realized, and going back sounds like a good idea...

Old 10-24-2018, 10:26 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
VCU is a great university. I studied sculpture there (got my MFA at Ohio State).
Richmond is smaller...but what is missing is all the stuff that makes larger cities frustrating.
Richmond has all of the artsy and outdoorsy stuff in spades but not much of the annoyances that ruin an otherwise good time..

Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't think you would enjoy Philly or Baltimore, both of whom are pretty gritty and not "outdoorsy' in the least. I think you miss Portland more than you realized, and going back sounds like a good idea...
You might want to google Wissahickon Creek Park, which is an extension of Fairmount Park, before deciding it's not outdoorsy enough.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
To be fair, there's no city on the East Coast that would truly be considered "outdoorsy." That's very much a Western attribute.

Access to and appreciation for nature? Sure. But you're not going to find the same rugged hiking, climbing or rafting options/culture.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-25-2018 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM

16 posts, read 24,743 times
Rode the train out to Coney Island this afternoon. The F train runs above ground for the last couple miles of the trip from Manhattan. From what I could see, I thought Midwood/Sheepshead bay looked a little more like the kind area that I'd like to be in. I think I forgot how much I love craftsman houses and big trees. Not that I would particular want to live in the outer suburbs of NYC (although I do also really like Sunset Park!!).

I visited Nola for about a month at the beginning of summer and have realized that it was my favorite city I visited this year. I liked it more than Philly and NYC. I guess I might really be looking for a "big town". I miss cute houses with individual character and tree lined streets! Does Richmond or Baltimore have that kind of vibe at all?

Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 AM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAON View Post
Boston isn't either, nor is New York or Washington.

Philadelphia does have the largest park between them all however (Fairmount/Wissahickon), and the most gardens/arboretums. Metro Philly has some of the most lush tree canopied suburbs in the country, but, ya know, Philly is just rowhomes with no trees, everywhere. I went there once, so I'm an expert.
(emphasis added)

I strongly suspect your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek when you wrote this, but many here on C-D lay claim to this kind of expertise all the time.

My variant is "I read about it, so I'm an expert."

But your dichotomy between city and suburbs in Philadelphia is largely true. You can find treeless (or less-treed) rowhouse blocks in suburbia and lush green ones in the city, but both are minority preferences in each.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 AM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
Richmond is a great City but if you have time you might want to look in the NW part of Philly. Especially Mt. Airy. It is green, relatively integrated, has incredible tree canopys, incredible interesting houses and is practically inside the City's gigantic urban park. It is the most outdoorsy of all the neighborhoods. It is also relatively affordable, and less drinking based than other popular neighborhoods.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000flowersbloom View Post
Rode the train out to Coney Island this afternoon. The F train runs above ground for the last couple miles of the trip from Manhattan. From what I could see, I thought Midwood/Sheepshead bay looked a little more like the kind area that I'd like to be in. I think I forgot how much I love craftsman houses and big trees. Not that I would particular want to live in the outer suburbs of NYC (although I do also really like Sunset Park!!).

I visited Nola for about a month at the beginning of summer and have realized that it was my favorite city I visited this year. I liked it more than Philly and NYC. I guess I might really be looking for a "big town". I miss cute houses with individual character and tree lined streets! Does Richmond or Baltimore have that kind of vibe at all?
Sunset Park isn't really an "outer neighborhood", it is purely urban and right below Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City