U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 622 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move back to the US after spending the last 5 years in France. The only problem is, I don't quite know where to start. I majored in Computer Science and minored in Cybersecurity, so I would need to live in a place with Tech jobs (or I could telecommute, but that is another topic). Most of America's tech cities are very expensive (SanFran, Seattle, Boston, ect), so I would like some advice on finding something at least a little more manageable (mid size probably).

What I would Like:
Tech Jobs
A Strong Art Community (I do ballet, so a good ballet company is a must)
Homes (preferably with a yard) that are somewhat affordable ($500k max)
Parks and Greenspaces, If possible some lakes or ocean access
Low Violent Crime Rate (I live alone, so this is fairly important)
LGBT friendly

What I would Prefer to Avoid:
Hot Weather
High Rates of Violent Crime
Boredom (I'm not really a bar/club kind of girl, but I would like something to do)

Bonus Points for alternative fashion and good tea houses.

If it helps, I have family in TN and NJ who may be able to help I find a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 11:43 AM

948 posts, read 1,145,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAQuestion827 View Post
I am planning to move back to the US after spending the last 5 years in France. The only problem is, I don't quite know where to start. I majored in Computer Science and minored in Cybersecurity, so I would need to live in a place with Tech jobs (or I could telecommute, but that is another topic). Most of America's tech cities are very expensive (SanFran, Seattle, Boston, ect), so I would like some advice on finding something at least a little more manageable (mid size probably).

What I would Like:
Tech Jobs
A Strong Art Community (I do ballet, so a good ballet company is a must)
Homes (preferably with a yard) that are somewhat affordable ($500k max)
Parks and Greenspaces, If possible some lakes or ocean access
Low Violent Crime Rate (I live alone, so this is fairly important)
LGBT friendly

What I would Prefer to Avoid:
Hot Weather
High Rates of Violent Crime
Boredom (I'm not really a bar/club kind of girl, but I would like something to do)

Bonus Points for alternative fashion and good tea houses.

If it helps, I have family in TN and NJ who may be able to help I find a place.
Minneapolis

Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 AM

442 posts, read 217,735 times
Minneapolis-St Paul area sounds like a great option. It has a very strong economy and lots of the typical city amenities.

Highlights:
-Homes with your budget are very nice
-Lakes are very accessible. Lake Superior is only 2.5 hours away if your want something oceany.
-Parks are everywhere

Old 10-19-2018, 11:47 AM

52,637 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Albany comes to mind and you can take the train into NYC about 2/2 and a half hours away, while being close enough to family in NJ. $500k gets you a lot in the area and the area fits much of the criteria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-19-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,832,553 times
Pittsburgh could also work:

Ballet: https://www.pbt.org/
Arts: https://trustarts.org/
Tech Jobs: https://pghcareerconnector.com/ Plus we have Google, Uber, Amazon, and a multitude of smaller companies in the area
Parks: https://www.pittsburghparks.org/
Housing is affordable and there are plenty of safe neighborhoods. Yards in the city are not very large, but in the suburbs there are places with largers lots.

Overall its a safe city with lots to do. Between the booming restaurant scene, along with a lot of arts and cultural events there is always something to do. Its can be hot and humid in the summer, but nothing that lasts for months or is intolerable. Everyone thinks its a conservative area, but its more of a mind your business kind of area so its pretty accepting of pretty much anything and everything in the city and most suburbs.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:45 PM

102 posts, read 32,024 times
Dallas, Austin, or Minneapolis. I choose Dallas because there is value in size and the corporate landscape is very large. In other words, you have multiple types of companies and career paths to choose from.

Do you like hot or cold weather. I'll say this, the super HOT time in Dallas only lasts about 3 weeks. Other than that, it's livable year round.

Minneapolis will stay colder for much longer and you'll get more of that confined feeling.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 PM

5,787 posts, read 6,342,595 times
Philly seems like a great option and close to NJ.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:28 PM

948 posts, read 1,145,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Dallas, Austin, or Minneapolis. I choose Dallas because there is value in size and the corporate landscape is very large. In other words, you have multiple types of companies and career paths to choose from.

Do you like hot or cold weather. I'll say this, the super HOT time in Dallas only lasts about 3 weeks. Other than that, it's livable year round.

Minneapolis will stay colder for much longer and you'll get more of that confined feeling.
1. OP states that they're not looking for hot weather.

2. Also, day time highs are in the 90s in Dallas for 4-5 months. Even locals who are accustomed to the heat would scoff at your 3 weeks estimate. Did you mean 3 months? Or by "super hot" do you mean over 100? There were 23 such days in 2018. (In 2011, we had 71). Worth taking into account, however, is that overnight lows during summer are very high. It often doesn't get below 90 until after midnight. For most folks, DFW has brutally hot and annoying summers.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:32 PM

6,154 posts, read 9,443,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week. Dallas's average high is 90 or above for a solid three months, and with the humidity the overnight lows are consistently in the upper 60s-upper 70s. June-September in DFW sucks big time. Austin is even worse, but at least it has an exponentially better natural setting than DFW.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-19-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 02:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or