U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger African American Cultural presences
Seattle 10 16.39%
Minneapolis 51 83.61%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:14 AM

503 posts, read 198,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Minneapolis just because more black People as a whole although Seattle black culture is more solidly AfAm. Minneapolis benefits form having ties to the rest of the black mid west and Seattle has...Portland? San Fran? Maybe Oakland? Seattle is just too white and not black enough-in the Seattle area a place that’s 10-12% black is considered ‘black’....Seattle has dprodiced more black athletes buy Minneapolis has produced more black musicians. But still edge to Minneapolis for having a less dominant white urban culture and closer ties to Chicago.
I don’t know that Seattle has a more dominant White urban culture than Minneapolis. In the MSA comparison. Seattle has a higher percentage of Asians and Hispanics. Also, give me Jimi Hendrix over Prince any day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 AM

3,594 posts, read 2,029,744 times
Also more American Indians, Alaskan Natives, and Pacific Islanders. And a lot more immigrants.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 AM

3,338 posts, read 2,255,906 times
Quote:
Minneapolis just because more black People as a whole although Seattle black culture is more solidly AfAm. Minneapolis benefits form having ties to the rest of the black mid west and Seattle has...Portland? San Fran? Maybe Oakland? Seattle is just too white and not black enough-in the Seattle area a place that’s 10-12% black is considered ‘black’....Seattle has dprodiced more black athletes buy Minneapolis has produced more black musicians. But still edge to Minneapolis for having a less dominant white urban culture and closer ties to Chicago.
Yeah I'm not so sure that Seattle has the more dominant white urban culture. I think it's easy to associate whiteness with Seattle, but metro Seattle (63.4% white) is significantly less white than the greater Twin Cities (75.5% white)...

Not familiar with either city:

In my mind's eye, I associate black Mpls with East Africans and Prince. I associate black Seattle with enormously outsized black basketball culture, Quincy Jones, and Russell Wilson/Ciara, who, while both are transplanted Seattleites, may be the two biggest black celebrities presently in Seattle and maybe (I don't know this) among the biggest pop culture celebrities to Seattle in the current era, period...

My mind's eye believes Seattle has the stronger black presence, but I don't know that to be fact. At the very least, Seattle, at only 7.4% black, has a black community with an outsized reputation despite its population that punches pretty heavily above its weight...

Has anyone black here spent time in both cities?

Old 10-26-2018, 09:03 AM

52,707 posts, read 75,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
how much of the MPLS black population is East African?
Good question, but I believe the bulk of the black population is still African American in the city and area.

As mentioned, Minneapolis actually has a well known black music scene that is more than just Prince. I forgot to add Alexander O'Neal and Cynthia Johnson, the lead singer of Lipps Inc.(did the hit song "Funkytown") are also associated with that scene. People may not realize that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis has helped produce pretty much every Janet Jackson song. So, I dare say that the music scene the black community in the Twin Cities has produced is quite underrated.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:17 AM

1,139 posts, read 863,206 times
MSA is a terrible measure of urban culture. Seattle actual Seattle is much whiter than actual Minneapolis. Why toss in the suburbs? The urban vibe which is in city proper means alt and Minneapolis is nearly 3 times as black as Seattle in the city proper I e the real urban area. Those who can really speak on Minneapolis-the schools the parks the back roads etc.

Rocking ham country NH is in the MSA of Boston Lilly white very low density suburban/rural and they go to Boston for field trips. They have no connection to the city whose schools and residential neighborhoods that are mostly black and Latino. This can be applied to Minneapolis as well. Seattle has very few Barack URBAN areas

Old 10-26-2018, 12:33 PM

503 posts, read 198,009 times
Quote:
MSA is a terrible measure of urban culture. Seattle actual Seattle is much whiter than actual Minneapolis. Why toss in the suburbs? The urban vibe which is in city proper means alt and Minneapolis is nearly 3 times as black as Seattle in the city proper I e the real urban area. Those who can really speak on Minneapolis-the schools the parks the back roads etc.

Rocking ham country NH is in the MSA of Boston Lilly white very low density suburban/rural and they go to Boston for field trips. They have no connection to the city whose schools and residential neighborhoods that are mostly black and Latino. This can be applied to Minneapolis as well. Seattle has very few Barack URBAN areas
That's just not true. For cities proper Minneapolis is 63.5% White and Seattle is 66% White - not that different. According to the latest census, Seattle proper had 50,000 black people while Minneapolis proper had 68,000 (nowhere near three times as many).

Also, Seattle has the Central District and the Rainier Valley, which are urban and historically black. The Central District, which used to be referred to as "The Colored District" (where Jimi Hendrix grew up) historically was nearly 80% Black and the neighborhood has strong roots in Black culture, even as the percentage of Blacks has dropped dramatically in the last few decades. The Rainier Valley (which has produced dozens of black NBA players) including areas like Rainier Beach, Hillman City, and Columbia City also have strong black roots. Again, it's true that gentrification is dramatically decreasing the black population of this area as well. But there are still roots there.

Tacoma is an urban area in the MSA that used to have large swaths of neighborhoods that were largely Black - again, decreasing but black people are still prominent in Tacoma. There are other more urban suburbs very close to Seattle like the ironically named White Center, SeaTac, and Tukwila that have black populations of nearly 20%. Seattle has a ton of lily white suburbs as well, but still has significantly lower % White population in the MSA than Minneapolis.

Meanwhile, Seattle also had the most diverse zip code in the country within city limits not that long ago: https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...neighborhoods/

Both cities are whiter than most large American cities, and both a strong Scandinavian heritage. But overall I think it's difficult to argue Seattle has a notably stronger white culture than Minneapolis. I voted for Minneapolis in this poll (Although as I said, it's a lot closer than the poll would indicate) but this is specifically about stronger black presence, not about which city has a stronger white culture.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 10-26-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 11:50 PM

27,773 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good question, but I believe the bulk of the black population is still African American in the city and area.

As mentioned, Minneapolis actually has a well known black music scene that is more than just Prince. I forgot to add Alexander O'Neal and Cynthia Johnson, the lead singer of Lipps Inc.(did the hit song "Funkytown") are also associated with that scene. People may not realize that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis has helped produce pretty much every Janet Jackson song. So, I dare say that the music scene the black community in the Twin Cities has produced is quite underrated.
My favorite R&B band ever says hello as well:

Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 PM

193 posts, read 76,854 times
Minny, but not by a lot

Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I don’t know that Seattle has a more dominant White urban culture than Minneapolis. In the MSA comparison. Seattle has a higher percentage of Asians and Hispanics. Also, give me Jimi Hendrix over Prince any day
Well, at least Prince didn't have to leave his hometown and country to gain recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Yeah I'm not so sure that Seattle has the more dominant white urban culture. I think it's easy to associate whiteness with Seattle, but metro Seattle (63.4% white) is significantly less white than the greater Twin Cities (75.5% white)...
Inner / central city numbers paint a different picture.

2017 Census Estimates:
Minneapolis:
White alone: 59.7%
Black or African American alone 17.8

St. Paul:
White alone: 49.8%
Black or African American alone 16.9

Seattle:
White alone: 64.0%
Black or African American alone 6.8

Quote:
In my mind's eye, I associate black Mpls with East Africans and Prince.
East Africans don't even make up half Black or African American population.

In addition to Prince, there have been plenty of black artists / musicians to come out of the Twin Cities area.

Quote:
I associate black Seattle with enormously outsized black basketball culture,
Minneapolis - St. Paul is a hockey hotbed so, I'm assuming a number of cities / metros are producing more basketball players - whether they are black or white.

Quote:
Has anyone black here spent time in both cities?
Yes, I currently live in St. Paul and have a brother who lives in Seattle so I'm visit once or twice a year. Going with Minneapolis (and St. Paul).

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-29-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 02:01 PM

28 posts, read 12,953 times
Minneapolis no doubt, both cities are majority white, but Minneapolis certainly has a higher population.

Even disregarding population as OP asked, Minneapolis has a large african immigrant community, with strongholds in the North Neighborhoods that were traditionally black. There have been far more influential individuals come out of Minneapolis than Seattle of black origin. Also a large amount of black families are moving up to Minneapolis from Chicago.

That said, neither are really strongholds for black history or culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or