U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger African American Cultural presences
Seattle 10 16.39%
Minneapolis 51 83.61%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 03:30 PM

503 posts, read 198,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve heard Seattle has a small bit of black culture but less than nearly every major city in the US aside from Portland and San Diego.
Where exactly did you hear that? Seattle has a stronger Black presence than many major Western cities - at 8% city proper and 6% MSA it has a higher percentage of black people by city and metro than San Diego, Portland, Phoenix, San Francisco (by city proper), San Jose, Salt Lake City, and several others. The only major Western cities that have a higher black population are Los Angeles and Oakland, and (just barely) Las Vegas and Denver.

In terms of culture, again I'd argue that by Western standards Seattle has a pretty strong black culture with distinctive historical neighborhoods and celebrities such as Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, Sir Mix-A-Lot, and a slew of black NBA players that were born and raised in South Seattle and Tacoma (Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Jason Terry, Isaiah Thomas, Aaron Brooks, and many others).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I do want to add that Seattle does also get a bad rap when it comes to black culture.Its no D.C. or Atlanta but it has more than what people may think
That is spot on. People forget that the Western US (i.e. West Coast and Mountain West) is dominated by Hispanic and Asian minorities, and has a much smaller black presence than the rest of the country. By those standards Seattle has a relatively strong black culture.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 PM

52,707 posts, read 75,602,776 times
^A lot of this has to do with the stronger military presence in the Seattle area too. So, the area can also get a lot of different regional influences within that community as well.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM

732 posts, read 176,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^A lot of this has to do with the stronger military presence in the Seattle area too. So, the area can also get a lot of different regional influences within that community as well.
Yep.McChord AFB and I forgot the name of the Army base in Tacoma.Is it Fort Lewis?

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

52,707 posts, read 75,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Yep.McChord AFB and I forgot the name of the Army base in Tacoma.Is it Fort Lewis?
Yes and there are a couple of naval bases near Bremerton west of Seattle too. This current NBA player is from that city: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Williams

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

1,139 posts, read 861,299 times
Seattle vs. San Francisco is a better comparison. Hard to compare west coast cities other than LA and Oakland to any city not in the West...Las Vegas and Denver are the only major west coast cities aside from Oakland/Sac Town with 10%+ black population. But Oakland and Sac town I donít consider to be central or regional capitals-I could be wrong about Sacramento.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

5,649 posts, read 13,610,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Seattle vs. San Francisco is a better comparison. Hard to compare west coast cities other than LA and Oakland to any city not in the West...Las Vegas and Denver are the only major west coast cities aside from Oakland/Sac Town with 10%+ black population. But Oakland and Sac town I donít consider to be central or regional capitals-I could be wrong about Sacramento.
You do realize that Las Vegas and Denver are ~300 miles and ~900 miles from from the Pacific, don't you?

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You do realize that Las Vegas and Denver are ~300 miles and ~900 miles from from the Pacific, don't you?
Based on the fact that it’s a commonly made mistake, I’m guessing he meant Western cities, which is usually defined as the West Coast and the Mountain West/Southwest.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

1,139 posts, read 861,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Based on the fact that itís a commonly made mistake, Iím guessing he meant Western cities, which is usually defined as the West Coast and the Mountain West/Southwest.
Yep

Old Today, 02:20 AM

99 posts, read 43,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Has anyone black here spent time in both cities?
Yes, and I live in Minneapolis. My vote goes to Minneapolis.

For all of the talk about how "white" Minneapolis is, I was shocked and amazed at the black (and other non-white) influence when I first moved here. Food, music, clothing, etc. The caveat is that it is isolated to the North/Northwest portion of the city. If one spends their time only in the areas downtown and south of it then this influence could be missed entirely.

And in St. Paul, wow. Much stronger. In general St. Paul has a more diverse feel. I'm from the Northeast and in some ways St. Paul reminds me of major cities there, but the architecture and pace is different. Obviously in some Northwest parts of the metro, like the Brooklyns, the African-American influence is even more. I'd say it is top two, but I'll keep this to Min/Twin Cities proper.

To people who asked, yes, the East African influence is strong over here and less isolated to certain neighborhoods.There are a number of businesses owned and operated by them, which helps in that. They might grow to be equal in influence but I don't personally think they are as integrated into the structure as traditional black Americans just yet.

Seattle's population has less of an influence overall, IMO. When I was there it certainly didn't "hit" me like it did when I initially visited the Twin Cities...Blacks might be more blended in as individuals though; anyone living there can correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or