Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger African American Cultural presences
Seattle 14 20.59%
Minneapolis 54 79.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 09:06 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

Not exclusively talking about % of population. I'm also curious about areas with more black enclaves, and where African American culture has a stronger impact throughout the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I don't know about MSP. But Seattle has had a sizable influence, at least vs. the current population percentage.

One example is politicians, such as recent mayor Norm Rice and County Executive Ron Sims, both of whom did multiple terms. Current police chief Carmen Best and past chief John Stanford are other examples.

Another is cultural. My high school alone graduated icons such as Jimi Hendrix and Quincy Jones, as well as a number of pro athletes such as Brandon Roy. The school was probably 50% black when I went there, with Asians also heavily represented. While the city's population percentages have changed since then, the public school experience remains very multicultural.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
This is closer than people think. MSA is the pertinent way to look at this. I know the OP said look beyond % but I think some stats are useful as context:

Seattle MSA Total Population: 3.9 Million
Seattle MSA %Black: 6%
Seattle MSA Black Population: 234,000

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...wa-metro-area/

Minneapolis MSA Total Population: 3.6 Million
Minneapolis MSA %Black: 9%
Minneapolis MSA Black Population: 324,000

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...wi-metro-area/

So in terms of raw numbers Minneapolis' MSA objectively has a larger black presence than Seattle's. Although it's not an order of magnitude larger and it's worth noting that Seattle still does have nearly a quarter of a million Black people.

In terms cultural presence, I think it's a little trickier - South Seattle, the Central District, Tacoma, and several southern suburbs all still have a strong black cultural presence. These areas have produced Black cultural icons like Jimi Hendrix and Quincy Jones. Sir Mix a Lot is probably the most famous black rapper to come out of Seattle. And Seattle has produced an outsized number of Black NBA players (Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson (Owner of the Nate's Chicken and Waffles local mini-chain), Isaiah Thomas, Jason Terry, etc.).

One of the most acclaimed Soul Food restaurants in the country is in Seattle (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/d...-junebaby.html) and, again, there are more areas with significant black cultural institutions than most people probably expect. Black culture permeates Seattle more than most people would expect given the City's reputation. My understanding is that Minneapolis' Black culture isn't all that different in terms of influence on the city. That said, since Seattle's MSA has notably higher Hispanic (10% vs. 6%) and Asian (13% vs. 7%) populations its Black population is a bit more diluted than Minneapolis' so - given the advantage in raw numbers and a cultural presence that is less dilluted with other minorities - I voted for Minneapolis. But it's closer than the poll indicates so far.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 10-25-2018 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 05:13 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Stronger African American Presence? Minneapolis

Stronger African American Culture? Seattle

Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Minneapolis.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:31 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Minneapolis has had Sharon Sayles Belton as mayor in the past and if you include St. Paul, its current mayor is black. Keith Ellison is a Congressman that represents the area currently.

Then, you have Prince, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, R&B group Next, the Sounds of Blackness and Morris Day and the Time in terms of music.

Athletes, you have Dave Winfield(if you include St. Paul), Larry Fitzgerald and Dustin Byfuglien are some of it most notable in that regard.

North is is similar to Rainier Beach in Seattle; Patrick Henry is more in line with Garfield in Seattle; Edison is similar to Franklin in Seattle, as all 3 have the highest black percentages in terms of their city's HS's. South and Roosevelt on Minneapolis's South Side are very diverse, with high black percentages as well.

Radio stations targeted towards the community in both cities/areas: Ztwins – The Northwest's First Home of Hip Hop & R&B

89.9FM - The People's Station

For Minneapolis, suburbs like Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are 1 and 2 in terms of percentage in MN, with many of the suburbs in the 5-10% range.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:33 PM

438 posts, read 376,499 times
As much as I love Seattle and it's historical black culture, it's very much limited to the black icons that thrived and became icons in their own world vs acting as an icon for Seattle.

An example would be music icons. Everyone can tell you a bit about Sir Mix-A-Lot or Quincy Jones as they're pretty well known artists in the music industry, but their connection to Seattle is very limited in their art. Compare that to Prince and how his art and identity is rooted in his Minneapolis roots and was a primary focus in some of his art as it served as a backdrop.

Seattle has a bunch of great black icons which is great, but you have to work hard to learn about them and most of the time it stands simply to be the place where things began rather then exists to this day. I would say Minneapolis has a existing and active black culture that isn't limited to icons or single events but rather is built into the overall culture of the city itself. In Seattle black culture struggles to exist at times and has to really "break through" all the other larger minority cultures that have a stronger hold on attracting the majority.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:06 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
As much as I love Seattle and it's historical black culture, it's very much limited to the black icons that thrived and became icons in their own world vs acting as an icon for Seattle.

An example would be music icons. Everyone can tell you a bit about Sir Mix-A-Lot or Quincy Jones as they're pretty well known artists in the music industry, but their connection to Seattle is very limited in their art. Compare that to Prince and how his art and identity is rooted in his Minneapolis roots and was a primary focus in some of his art as it served as a backdrop.

Seattle has a bunch of great black icons which is great, but you have to work hard to learn about them and most of the time it stands simply to be the place where things began rather then exists to this day. I would say Minneapolis has a existing and active black culture that isn't limited to icons or single events but rather is built into the overall culture of the city itself. In Seattle black culture struggles to exist at times and has to really "break through" all the other larger minority cultures that have a stronger hold on attracting the majority.
I don’t know - Sir Mix-a-Lot has a video for My Posse’s on Broadway based in Seattle and he talks about it a lot. Jimi Hendrix has an album called West Coast Seattle Boy. Also, most of the NBA stars from the Rainier Valley are frequently repping Seattle. Aside from Prince, what other Black celebrities are strongly associated with Minneapolis?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
how much of the MPLS black population is East African?

Old 10-25-2018, 10:31 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Minneapolis just because more black People as a whole although Seattle black culture is more solidly AfAm. Minneapolis benefits form having ties to the rest of the black mid west and Seattle has...Portland? San Fran? Maybe Oakland? Seattle is just too white and not black enough-in the Seattle area a place that’s 10-12% black is considered ‘black’....Seattle has dprodiced more black athletes buy Minneapolis has produced more black musicians. But still edge to Minneapolis for having a less dominant white urban culture and closer ties to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City