Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Boston 120 52.63%
Vancouver 108 47.37%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

I love Vancouver. The food, parks, nightlife, setting, weather, including the best summers, the music scene. Its all so nice. Crime like homicides is almost non-existent compared to U.S. cities. It's clean. The people are friendly and of course it's outdoor nature activities are the best in NA imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
I have to say that I don't have any interest in living in the United States if it means living in Boston.

On the other hand, Vancouver is one of my favorite cities in the world and most certainly in North America. I'll take it by default in this comparison.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-07-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I have to say that I don't have any interest in living in the United States if it means living in Boston.
That’s fine. The city is far too expensive, even without you wanting to live there.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:14 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

That's interesting. If I were to go live in the U.S., Boston would probably be one of my top cities to choose to settle in.

(And that's saying something when you consider how much animus I have towards the Bruins.)

Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I just wish Boston had a large expanse of nature near its center. Montreal and Vancouver both have that and it’s such a great thing to have. The Big Dig at least created that greenway and there is Boston Common and scattered other smaller parks, but a large and less manicured park would have been nice.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's interesting. If I were to go live in the U.S., Boston would probably be one of my top cities to choose to settle in.

(And that's saying something when you consider how much animus I have towards the Bruins.)
If I were to move to Canada, I'd choose Toronto/Quebec City/Montreal over Vancouver without even taking into consideration cost.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
If I were to move to Canada, I'd choose Toronto/Quebec City/Montreal over Vancouver without even taking into consideration cost.
You forgot about beautiful Ottawa!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I just wish Boston had a large expanse of nature near its center. Montreal and Vancouver both have that and it’s such a great thing to have. The Big Dig at least created that greenway and there is Boston Common and scattered other smaller parks, but a large and less manicured park would have been nice.
I don’t want to derail this thread too much, but is Montreal really that much better than Boston for parks? I mean the view from the top of Mount Royal is breathtaking, but the park itself is just ok to me.

I think the Arnold Arboretum is a nicer park than Parc du Mont Royal. Though I guess it’s kind of far from the city center.

(Now granted: I’m looking at pictures of the two parks and despite having been to Montreal 3 times, I’ve never visited the lake that’s within parc du mont royal, which looks super nice and might change my opinion of the park as a whole)

Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I don’t want to derail this thread too much, but is Montreal really that much better than Boston for parks? I mean the view from the top of Mount Royal is breathtaking, but the park itself is just ok to me.

I think the Arnold Arboretum is a nicer park than Parc du Mont Royal. Though I guess it’s kind of far from the city center.

(Now granted: I’m looking at pictures of the two parks and despite having been to Montreal 3 times, I’ve never visited the lake that’s within parc du mont royal, which looks super nice and might change my opinion of the park as a whole)
Don't want to make this Boston vs. Montreal, but a better comparison for that arboretum would be the botanical garden near Olympic Stadium. I've always heard it referred to as the world's second best after Berlin's - not sure if this is true. It's somewhat smaller than the Arnold but it has about twice as many species.

Like the Arnold though, it's not really downtown. It's in the east end of the inner city, about 5 subway stops from downtown if my memory serves me right.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterthemo View Post
Why? Outside the Marchand, the Bruins are fine.

They were irrelevant for 39 years before their 2011 Cup.

Bergeron (a Quebecois) is a classy dude, and should be the next captain.

I think Vancouver is far more hated. Certainly was in 2011.
I am a lifelong Habs fan. Need I say more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City