U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:00 PM

9 posts, read 3,519 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to one of these cities in the relatively near future. Which one would you say is best based on the following criteria:

- Housing (I plan to buy. I know all three of these areas have cheap real estate, but which one provides the best value?)

- Urbanity/walkability

- Employment opportunities (I plan to get into aviation mechanic training, as well as electrical training).

- Outdoor recreation such as parks. I really like outdoor basketball, so an abundance of outdoor basketball courts would be nice.

- Urban neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that are interesting, as well as somewhat ' gritty' with lots of natural plant growth. Cookie cutter suburban style neighborhoods absolutely repulse me.

- Climate. I like a 4 season climate- warm to hot summers, cool to cold winters. I don't like a Texas- summer/not quite summer climate or a Minnesota cold 8 months out of the year climate.

- General livability. Things like traffic, crime, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 02:19 PM

10,722 posts, read 18,692,470 times
My gut says you would probably like St Louis the most, but you would probably be happy in all three. Pick the one that picks you (job).

Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM

567 posts, read 229,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My gut says you would probably like St Louis the most, but you would probably be happy in all three. Pick the one that picks you (job).
Given the criteria I'm not sure they'd be happy in Indianapolis.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:02 PM

804 posts, read 381,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That. Based on those criteria St. Louis...KC.........Indy, although in general I don't think the differences are that huge. St. Louis probably has the best collection of urban, walkable neighborhoods and I am not 100% certain, but Boeing has a big presence and probably offers more aviation related employment? They all have generally the same climate, especially St.L and KC...Indy may be slightly colder? St. Louis has a pretty good park system...areas around the big parks like Forest Park and Tower Grove are generally good and a few others in South City come to mind (like Lindenwood Park and Francis Park), however I don't know the other 2 cities nearly as well. I mean, I could live in any of them, but I'm at the family/yard/great schools stage of life

Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM

5,306 posts, read 5,678,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
That. Based on those criteria St. Louis...KC.........Indy, although in general I don't think the differences are that huge. St. Louis probably has the best collection of urban, walkable neighborhoods and I am not 100% certain, but Boeing has a big presence and probably offers more aviation related employment? They all have generally the same climate, especially St.L and KC...Indy may be slightly colder? St. Louis has a pretty good park system...areas around the big parks like Forest Park and Tower Grove are generally good and a few others in South City come to mind (like Lindenwood Park and Francis Park), however I don't know the other 2 cities nearly as well. I mean, I could live in any of them, but I'm at the family/yard/great schools stage of life
Saint Louis has KC and Indy beat with urban neighborhoods. I agree they all are great options. I would go with the one that gives you the best feel after visiting and a favorable job opportunity.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:22 PM

2,583 posts, read 1,118,351 times
Where you get the job might be the deciding factor. Taking all things into consideration, I'd pick Kansas City personally. Whichever one meets your needs/wants the best.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:00 PM

4,436 posts, read 3,480,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Where you get the job might be the deciding factor. Taking all things into consideration, I'd pick Kansas City personally. Whichever one meets your needs/wants the best.
I agree. Kansas City is the best option here.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:45 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,304,916 times
Kansas city the city of fountains is very underrated city. My vote kansas city

Old 10-27-2018, 01:59 PM

119 posts, read 38,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Kansas city the city of fountains is very underrated city. My vote kansas city
Aren't we supposed to take OP's criteria into consideration? If so, STL is the clear choice.

OP, have you thought about Chicago?

Old 10-27-2018, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 3,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Aren't we supposed to take OP's criteria into consideration? If so, STL is the clear choice.

OP, have you thought about Chicago?
I have. There are a few problems with it though

- It's in Illinois. The state is in a financial downward death spiral and trying to tax their way out of it.

- It's a huge city but somehow lacks any schools/institutes/career centers that offer the career training I want.

-Abysmal traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or