Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city
Philly 46 47.92%
Atlanta 16 16.67%
Phoenix 3 3.13%
Seattle 15 15.63%
Miami 16 16.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 03:17 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Seattle's chef-driven scene is mostly about local chefs. I'd view that as a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle's chef-driven scene is mostly about local chefs. I'd view that as a positive.

I would agree, generally more invested that way and also not trying to recreate something

On this and call me a homer but I do think Philly is the best among this set; Seattle probably next but for me Seattle still misses on to many areas but have had some good meals there.

I would honestly only put NYC, Chicago, LA, and SF ahead of Philly and to me Philly and Houston are today fighting for the 5th spot

NOLA while amazing isn't as diverse

https://www.travelandleisure.com/foo...hia-food-scene

Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 AM

408 posts, read 580,876 times
Sam Fox Restaurants are highly renowned in Multiple Cities across the states and the concept was started and founded in Phoenix back in 96'. I love Atlanta's scene though, but the good places close earlier than they should on most weeknights & weekends.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
I guess I slept on Philly. Always ate at the hood spots there.

What are some staples in the philly restaraunt scene?

Old 11-04-2018, 12:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

Well first lesson is Pat's and Geno's are only cool for the idea of trying something famous. But they're not the best. I like Steve's the best. Haven't tried Dalessandro's yet.

Reading Terminal Market is my favorite market in the country. The pretzels there are probably the best pretzels anyone's ever made.

The area around 13th/Sansom is packed with all different types of restaurants. The lines there get ridiculous, but the food's always good. Places like El Vez, Sampan, Zavino, etc.

The city's footprint is small, but there are so many neighborhoods with their own local scenes. It's very very rare to find a chain restaurant in the city, and really nobody goes to them. The entire neighborhoods of Rittenhouse, Gayborhood, and Washington Sq West are full of local places on various streets. Talulua's Garden is one of the more famous ones around there, besides the 13th St area. South St through Graduate Hospital and Queen Village. There are some small clusters in Queen Village, including on 4th St with places like Hungry Pigeon. East Passyunk Ave area like around Morris and Mifflin and that whole area is one of the top places in South Philly. South Philly is known for its Italian restaurants, but is becoming far more than that. Washington and 6th is a big collection of Vietnamese restaurants and grocery stores that are some of the best I've had. Chinatown is a real, functioning Chinatown with great food and boba spots, and even a new food hall. 2nd St through Northern Liberties is full of places, and everyone waits at Green Eggs Cafe but I just don't have the patience for the line. Federal Donuts has a few locations throughout the city, and their donuts are amazing. Frankford Ave and Girard Ave through Northern Liberties and Fishtown are really hot for new restaurants opening up, and particularly Frankford Hall is really well-known. Less "hot" neighborhoods like Fairmount Ave through Fairmount/Francisville have amazing local places. Sabrina's is a well-known local chain near the area on Callowhill.

There are so many neighborhoods full of cafes and restaurants, and so many small, individually-owned establishments dotting street narrow street corners, it's impossible to describe the Philly dining scene. I think of the cities listed, it has the best variety of food scenes. Philly has the best Italian and Jewish food of the cities on the list, rivaling NYC and Boston in those categories. Marra's is a typical old school Mafia style place that's been around for nearly a century and 4th St Deli is very good. Zahav is a really well-known Israeli restaurant. Atlanta would have the southern/BBQ scene on lock, but I lived in Kentucky and have enjoyed the BBQ I had in Philly. Some of the best ribs I've ever had were at The Love in Rittenhouse. Phoenix has the Mexican food on lock, but I'm from LA and I know good Mexican food. The taco trucks and tiny hole-in-the-wall burrito joints and taquerias have always completely satisfied me. Been meaning to try South Philly Barbacoa, but Nora's is really good. Miami has the Latin/Caribbean places on lock, but Philly has a large Puerto Rican/Dominican/Caribbean population. Haven't had the pleasure of trying those cuisines in Philly yet, but I'm sure it's good based on the large population of people from those areas. Seattle has the seafood/Asian scene on lock, but Philly's Chinatown and Vietnamese area have great spots. Pho Ha is amazing for Vietnamese and the new Chinatown Square food hall is really interesting. Haven't had a chance to actually try the Chinese restaurants in Chinatown yet, but got food in the food hall once.

Honestly, the quality and variety of Philly is way better than most people realize. I've NEVER had a bad meal in Philly. I don't think I've ever even had a mediocre meal in Philly. I've loved every restaurant I've been to there of every style of cuisine. And one of the bonuses for me is due to the city's layout. There isn't one central location for everything. Every neighborhood has little places you'd never know about unless you accidentally walked down the street.

I'd never say any of these cities are bad for food. But it's the style of Philly's scene that I love, and the diversity/variety.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:15 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta.

Waffle House
Chick fil a
Zaxby's
You voted Atlanta and these are your examples? Lmao

Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Philly and Miami for me.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

I can relate to your experiences in Philly.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:22 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Well first lesson is Pat's and Geno's are only cool for the idea of trying something famous. But they're not the best. I like Steve's the best. Haven't tried Dalessandro's yet.

Reading Terminal Market is my favorite market in the country. The pretzels there are probably the best pretzels anyone's ever made.

The area around 13th/Sansom is packed with all different types of restaurants. The lines there get ridiculous, but the food's always good. Places like El Vez, Sampan, Zavino, etc.

The city's footprint is small, but there are so many neighborhoods with their own local scenes. It's very very rare to find a chain restaurant in the city, and really nobody goes to them. The entire neighborhoods of Rittenhouse, Gayborhood, and Washington Sq West are full of local places on various streets. Talulua's Garden is one of the more famous ones around there, besides the 13th St area. South St through Graduate Hospital and Queen Village. There are some small clusters in Queen Village, including on 4th St with places like Hungry Pigeon. East Passyunk Ave area like around Morris and Mifflin and that whole area is one of the top places in South Philly. South Philly is known for its Italian restaurants, but is becoming far more than that. Washington and 6th is a big collection of Vietnamese restaurants and grocery stores that are some of the best I've had. Chinatown is a real, functioning Chinatown with great food and boba spots, and even a new food hall. 2nd St through Northern Liberties is full of places, and everyone waits at Green Eggs Cafe but I just don't have the patience for the line. Federal Donuts has a few locations throughout the city, and their donuts are amazing. Frankford Ave and Girard Ave through Northern Liberties and Fishtown are really hot for new restaurants opening up, and particularly Frankford Hall is really well-known. Less "hot" neighborhoods like Fairmount Ave through Fairmount/Francisville have amazing local places. Sabrina's is a well-known local chain near the area on Callowhill.

There are so many neighborhoods full of cafes and restaurants, and so many small, individually-owned establishments dotting street narrow street corners, it's impossible to describe the Philly dining scene. I think of the cities listed, it has the best variety of food scenes. Philly has the best Italian and Jewish food of the cities on the list, rivaling NYC and Boston in those categories. Marra's is a typical old school Mafia style place that's been around for nearly a century and 4th St Deli is very good. Zahav is a really well-known Israeli restaurant. Atlanta would have the southern/BBQ scene on lock, but I lived in Kentucky and have enjoyed the BBQ I had in Philly. Some of the best ribs I've ever had were at The Love in Rittenhouse. Phoenix has the Mexican food on lock, but I'm from LA and I know good Mexican food. The taco trucks and tiny hole-in-the-wall burrito joints and taquerias have always completely satisfied me. Been meaning to try South Philly Barbacoa, but Nora's is really good. Miami has the Latin/Caribbean places on lock, but Philly has a large Puerto Rican/Dominican/Caribbean population. Haven't had the pleasure of trying those cuisines in Philly yet, but I'm sure it's good based on the large population of people from those areas. Seattle has the seafood/Asian scene on lock, but Philly's Chinatown and Vietnamese area have great spots. Pho Ha is amazing for Vietnamese and the new Chinatown Square food hall is really interesting. Haven't had a chance to actually try the Chinese restaurants in Chinatown yet, but got food in the food hall once.

Honestly, the quality and variety of Philly is way better than most people realize. I've NEVER had a bad meal in Philly. I don't think I've ever even had a mediocre meal in Philly. I've loved every restaurant I've been to there of every style of cuisine. And one of the bonuses for me is due to the city's layout. There isn't one central location for everything. Every neighborhood has little places you'd never know about unless you accidentally walked down the street.

I'd never say any of these cities are bad for food. But it's the style of Philly's scene that I love, and the diversity/variety.
Philly actually has really good Mexican food there, the Mexican population in the city is growing

Old 11-05-2018, 08:54 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure if any of these are good examples for the three categories laid out by the OP.
I think Philadelphia, Seattle, and Miami offer several excellent options for the three categories, especially variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City