Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city
Philly 46 47.92%
Atlanta 16 16.67%
Phoenix 3 3.13%
Seattle 15 15.63%
Miami 16 16.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

I'd vote for Philly. The food there is amazing. Love the cheesesteaks and the diversity of the cuisines. Southeast Asian food in Philly is even better than in NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM

10,108 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You voted Atlanta and these are your examples? Lmao
It was a tongue in cheek post.

Don't sleep on those restaurants, though.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 PM

700 posts, read 422,143 times
For the respect that Atlanta has for a southern city it really needs to catch up and step up in the food department. Charleston and New Orleans blow Atlanta away as far as food is concerned in the south.

You can always tell a city has great or overrated food just by what the locals refer to you. And to be honest most of the people in the A referred mainly the items that Kodeblue mentioned which wasn't really impressive to me.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:54 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Atlanta.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
If one is looking for high end/“exclusive” and “fine dining”, it would be tough to top Miami from above list.

Miami attracts top chefs based on their cooking accolades—not just, or because of, celebrity status or TV appearances. This list includes Thomas Keller (Surf Club at Four Seasons Surfside—same owner of Michelin starred French Laundry and Per Se); Stephen Starr, Jean-Georges, Jose Andres, etc etc all have a presence here....highly rated NYC outposts/spinoffs such as Azabu, Lure, Michelin starred Caviar Russe, Il Mulino, Quality Meats, Wolfgang’s, Upland, Scarpetta, etc; and first ever US openings/debuts from successful overseas restaurants such as London/Dubai based La Petite Maison, Salt Bae’s Nusr-et, London based Novikov, and Santa Margherita Winery from Italy’s La Centrale 3 story/7 station restaurant. Throw in Cipriani, Estiatorio Milos, and Le Sirenuse for good measure as well as iconic Joe’s Stone Crab—second highest grossing restaurant in the entire US. One can also add local based Jose Mendin, Michael Schwartz, Michelle Bernstein, etc.

Might not compete as highly in terms of variety, primarily due to lack of abundance of Asian cuisine (though NAOE, aforementioned Azabu, and Makoto are all highly rated and Bombay Darbar is quite good) but it would be hard to beat based on the other 2 criteria from above selection of cities.

Stephen Starr is based in Philadelphia and still very much present there.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Stephen Starr is based in Philly but also has restaurants in NYC, South Florida (including Le Zoo, Makoto, and Upland in Miami), Washington DC and Atlantic City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Stephen Starr is based in Philadelphia and still very much present there.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Stephen Starr is based in Philly but also has restaurants in NYC, South Florida (including Le Zoo, Makoto, and Upland in Miami), Washington DC and Atlantic City.
But your previous comment was underplaying Philadelphia's dining options and experience. Philadelphia attracts no less talent than Miami.

And Philadelphia is by far Starr's main market, followed by New York.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:28 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I made no reference to Philly whatsoever in my initial post, just Miami—which also has attracted flagship restaurants (not franchised Wolfgang Puck Cafe Express versions found at airports) from other heavyweights, who may or may not have a Philly presence (I’m not certain), such as Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges, Daniel Boulud, Jose Andres, etc.

I suppose the reason Starr opted for SoFla locations is because many transplants and visitors from Philly, NYC, and DC are familiar with his establishments and the demographics indicate people have the resources to support his, and others, restaurants. The quality of his restaurants I have been to in Miami, and those from others I mentioned, remain quite high. If they were not, I would have no problem ripping them to shreds. I welcome flagship restaurants in my city from talented chefs of this caliber, whether they are based here or not, as it raises the dining bar. Some of them even exhibit at our annual South Beach Wine and Food Festival.

Furthermore, as stated in my initial post, many successful foreign based restaurants have chosen to open their first US locations in Miami, not elsewhere—none of these are Latin cuisine or South American based either (see Nusr-et Steakhouse, La Petite Maison, Santa Margherita Winery’s La Centrale, Italy’s Le Sirenuse).

Miami based restaurants with a presence in other cities include Yardbird, Sugarcane, and Pubbelly—not in the same league as restos from the chefs mentioned above, but not fast food nor megachain either and accepted elsewhere.

Just because I am pimping Miami does not mean I am dissing on Philly . Heck, we even have La Colombe coffee down here now, which I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
But your previous comment was underplaying Philadelphia's dining options and experience. Philadelphia attracts no less talent than Miami.

And Philadelphia is by far Starr's main market, followed by New York.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-08-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Atlanta, love southern cooking. Philly has some good food, but I can't get past their over use of fake cheese.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterthemo View Post
Are there people that actually think all Philadelphia has is cheesesteaks?
Sadly yes... It usually warrants a visit to the city to appreciate the amazing and diverse culinary options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City