Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city
Philly 46 47.92%
Atlanta 16 16.67%
Phoenix 3 3.13%
Seattle 15 15.63%
Miami 16 16.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Atlanta, love southern cooking. Philly has some good food, but I can't get past their over use of fake cheese.
Yes because every single dish in Philadelphia has wizz on it. Pizza pasta tacos pho schnitzel pierogi burgers shawarma. All have fake cheese on them in Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 11:19 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
You can always tell a city has great or overrated food just by what the locals refer to you. And to be honest most of the people in the A referred mainly the items that Kodeblue mentioned which wasn't really impressive to me.
Wait a second. You're telling me that whenever you're in Atlanta and ask locals for recommendations for good restaurants, they're suggesting Waffle House and Chick-Fil-A? Yeah I don't believe that for one second.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:27 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
people who go to a city once tend to not really know jack about their food scene

Old 11-08-2018, 03:02 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Lol, right??!

So first off I do not know Phoenix whatsoever, and have minimal experience with Philly.

This one is tough but I lean towards Atlanta, probably simply cause I have the most foodie experience there. Even more than Miami even though I live here now lol. Atlanta really rose to national prominence about five years ago, and I think they offer some seriously good and diverse options. But really the same exact thing can be said for Seattle and Miami so it's only a marginal difference in my eyes. And there's no denying that Asian cuisine is the lens by which I see everything (even just subconsciously) and I would have given that to Seattle before but Atlanta has seen some gigantic leaps in that department in recent years that again makes it pretty close to call just on Asian cuisine alone.
Seattle is well above Atlanta in Asian cuisines, especially Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Seattle is well above Atlanta in Asian cuisines, especially Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese.

Yeah would agree. Philly has great Vietnamese and Thai, Japanese is lacking

Philly may have the best Isreli and Italian restaurants in the country, including basically sweeping the Beard awards in 2017, best restaurateur, best restaurant, and the regions best (with Zahav and Solmonov, Starr, and Vedge)

Anyone who is a foodies and has not been to Philly in some time, make the trip, it truly to me at this point is likely a top 5 in the country

Someone mentioned earlier Mexican, the Mexican has made tremendous strides, especially in S Philly

It also may be the best sandwich city in the country, forget the Cheesesteak, get the roast pork with broccoli rabe and long hots and superb roll, your stomach and mouth will thank you.

I think Seattle is strong and Miami good at some and not others, Atlanta the same but to me Philly has the biggest and deepest breadth of offerings and amazingly continues to get better; I cant keep up these days

Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Could even make an argument that La Colombe is better than any coffee in Seattle, I believe it was a Seattleite and Frenchman that met in Philly and started it.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah would agree. Philly has great Vietnamese and Thai, Japanese is lacking

Philly may have the best Isreli and Italian restaurants in the country, including basically sweeping the Beard awards in 2017, best restaurateur, best restaurant, and the regions best (with Zahav and Solmonov, Starr, and Vedge)

Anyone who is a foodies and has not been to Philly in some time, make the trip, it truly to me at this point is likely a top 5 in the country

Someone mentioned earlier Mexican, the Mexican has made tremendous strides, especially in S Philly

It also may be the best sandwich city in the country, forget the Cheesesteak, get the roast pork with broccoli rabe and long hots and superb roll, your stomach and mouth will thank you.

I think Seattle is strong and Miami good at some and not others, Atlanta the same but to me Philly has the biggest and deepest breadth of offerings and amazingly continues to get better; I cant keep up these days
Does Philly really have more exclusive offerings than Miami.. or even Atlanta?

These are comparable metros that dominate their regions, as well as some the most visited and toured cities in the nation, Philly is on close proximity to the DMV and NYC reigon.

Maybe Philly has a more accessible and centralized restaurant scene, which probably is a lot more overwhelming and enjoyable, but I can’t grasp the logic of Philly techinically having more exclusive eateries, especially wrt to Miami.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Does Philly really have more exclusive offerings than Miami.. or even Atlanta?

These are comparable metros that dominate their regions, as well as some the most visited and toured cities in the nation, Philly is on close proximity to the DMV and NYC reigon.

Maybe Philly has a more accessible and centralized restaurant scene, which probably is a lot more overwhelming and enjoyable, but I can’t grasp the logic of Philly techinically having more exclusive eateries, especially wrt to Miami.

by exclusive do you mean quality? celeb status? scene? High end?

Quality, without a doubt meets and to me exceeds

Celeb status, def has celeb chefs including 3 iron chefs and nationally renown restaurateurs, on a celeb scene not as much as either as Philly isn't a celeb scene as much as either of those are

Scene, it definitely has scene places, as much emphasis on food quality as the scene itself but Miami is more a spectacle place no doubt, Atlanta likely to

High end, it has some of the most difficult reservations in the country

I guess I want to understand what you mean by exclusive. Though would say the quality from high to low is better than either Miami or Atlanta (or Seattle) based on my experience

Yes it is very close to NY and DC, many NYers are increasingly making their way just to eat these days

Top to bottom I think only NY, Chicago, LA, and SF are ahead right now (Houston to me is also in the running for #5 right now, not Miami, Atlanta, or Seattle IMHO)

don't sleep on the Philly food scene

Old 11-08-2018, 04:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times
Quote:
by exclusive do you mean quality? celeb status? scene? High end?

Quality, without a doubt meets and to me exceeds

Celeb status, def has celeb chefs including 3 iron chefs and nationally renown restaurateurs, on a celeb scene not as much as either as Philly isn't a celeb scene as much as either of those are

Scene, it definitely has scene places, as much emphasis on food quality as the scene itself but Miami is more a spectacle place no doubt, Atlanta likely to

High end, it has some of the most difficult reservations in the country

I guess I want to understand what you mean by exclusive. Though would say the quality from high to low is better than either Miami or Atlanta (or Seattle) based on my experience

Yes it is very close to NY and DC, many NYers are increasingly making their way just to eat these days

Top to bottom I think only NY, Chicago, LA, and SF are ahead right now (Houston to me is also in the running for #5 right now, not Miami, Atlanta, or Seattle IMHO)

Oh, I’m not sleep on it. Just curious.

By exclusive, I mean if I’m going to start an exclusive restaurant “chain”, I want to start in megacity initially, then branch out to large metros that dominate their reigon, or possess high amounts of visitation (Orlando/Vegas), I meant more of celeb or high-end brand that is trending.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:41 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Don’t sell Portland, OR short either...restaurant scene there is excellent.

Quote:

Fairly accurate ranking, per my tastes, below. Only exception: not sure I would rank Austin as high but it has been a few years since I last visited:

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/bes...rica-slideshow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City