U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city
Philly 43 47.25%
Atlanta 16 17.58%
Phoenix 3 3.30%
Seattle 14 15.38%
Miami 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,119,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes because every single dish in Philadelphia has wizz on it. Pizza pasta tacos pho schnitzel pierogi burgers shawarma. All have fake cheese on them in Philadelphia
I never said every dish, but they seem to love it an American Cheese for some reason l.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 07:05 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,544,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
by exclusive do you mean quality? celeb status? scene? High end?

Quality, without a doubt meets and to me exceeds

Celeb status, def has celeb chefs including 3 iron chefs and nationally renown restaurateurs, on a celeb scene not as much as either as Philly isn't a celeb scene as much as either of those are

Scene, it definitely has scene places, as much emphasis on food quality as the scene itself but Miami is more a spectacle place no doubt, Atlanta likely to

High end, it has some of the most difficult reservations in the country

I guess I want to understand what you mean by exclusive. Though would say the quality from high to low is better than either Miami or Atlanta (or Seattle) based on my experience

Yes it is very close to NY and DC, many NYers are increasingly making their way just to eat these days

Top to bottom I think only NY, Chicago, LA, and SF are ahead right now (Houston to me is also in the running for #5 right now, not Miami, Atlanta, or Seattle IMHO)

don't sleep on the Philly food scene
You are severally underestimating Philadelphia's culinary scene and influence.

Being in close proximity to NYC and DC does not at all take away from Philadelphia's role in the culinary scene.

Also FYI, Philadelphia is a major city and metropolitan area, you are describing if as if it were Cincinnati or something...

I would pin Philadelphia in competition for the 5th spot with Houston for best overall culinary city.

You also seem to have an obsession with "exclusivity" still not sure what that exactly means, but I would not pin Miami or Atlanta ahead of Philadelphia from an overall foodie standpoint. Miami might have more celebrity dinners on a daily basis, but not sure what that has to do with anything...

(I am a huge foodie)

Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,622,265 times
Define celebrity dinner...surely Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges, Daniel Boulud, Jose Andres, Rick Bayless, Michael Mina, Alice Waters, Bobby Flay etc are deservedly well known, and for good reason—much more so for their food as opposed to a “lesser” chef who needs to pimp themselves on TV for notoriety and to generate business at their establishments...Vegas has its share of well known chefs also yet it, too, is a very good foodie city. Some popular chefs are good, some vastly overrated. Hard to lump all of them together.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-08-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:57 PM

529 posts, read 207,596 times
Variety: Seattle - it does a few things at a world class level but a lot of cuisines surprisingly well.

Fine Dining: Philly - it has the most and the best of what could legitimately be considered fine dining among these cities.

Exclusivity: Miami - although not sure why this is such a great thing for most people.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,580,316 times
I never understood why "fine dining" is a quality.

High priced mediocre food in very small portions served on a Square Plate.

Is it the taste or the presentation?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 PM

5,833 posts, read 6,390,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Seattle is well above Atlanta in Asian cuisines, especially Thai, Vietnamese, and Japanese.
We can disagree...it's the nature of the food debate. It's possible for us to disagree comparing dish A to dish B, much less restaurant A to restaurant B on different days and different menus. And comparing one city to another? Even those of us who travel frequently between a handful of cities and dine out frequently, we may have vastly different experiences.

Anyway, for me regarding Asian cuisine, Seattle has always been top notch with Japanese. Chinese was ok. That's maybe a bit harsh but relative to the rest of the region (West Coast) it was just alright. Atlanta has some of the best Korean around and the Chinese, Southeast Asian and fusion options have exploded in recent years. Don't get me wrong, despite what I just said, I still think Chinese and Vietnamese are better in Seattle, but my post was just saying overall it is really a lot closer now than it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I never understood why "fine dining" is a quality.

High priced mediocre food in very small portions served on a Square Plate.

Is it the taste or the presentation?
It's both the taste and the presentation. But taste matters more.

But "fine dining" in itself is not a quality. If it is mediocre food then that's not what it's about.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Anyway, for me regarding Asian cuisine, Seattle has always been top notch with Japanese. Chinese was ok. That's maybe a bit harsh but relative to the rest of the region (West Coast) it was just alright. Atlanta has some of the best Korean around and the Chinese, Southeast Asian and fusion options have exploded in recent years. Don't get me wrong, despite what I just said, I still think Chinese and Vietnamese are better in Seattle, but my post was just saying overall it is really a lot closer now than it used to be.
Gotcha - yeah, I see what you’re saying. I will say though, that I think Seattle’s strongest ethnic cuisine (not just Asian, but overall) is Thai food. First, just in terms of quantity there are over 150 Thai restaurants in Seattle city limits, which is extraordinary for a city of just 700,000. As a comparison, that’s nearly 5 times as many as Boston. In terms of quality, depth, and regional variety it’s second only to LA, and not that far behind from my experience.

Korean food on the other hand, is the Asian cuisine most poorly represented within Seattle proper. The number is pretty scarce and quality not that great (Joule and Trove are overhyped fusion, not authentic). Certain Seattle suburbs (Lynnwood, most notably) actually have quality and authentic Korean food, but that would be one Asian cuisine that I would agree is better in Atlanta.

I still think Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Chinese (which has improved dramatically since the arrival of Din Tai Fung) are notably better in Seattle than Atlanta.. There are also Tibetan, Taiwanese, Indonesian, Phillipino and other less common Asian cuisines that are available in Seattle.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 PM

5,640 posts, read 13,344,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Could even make an argument that La Colombe is better than any coffee in Seattle, I believe it was a Seattleite and Frenchman that met in Philly and started it.
YES! La Colombe is my second favorite coffee chain after Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. I'll walk several extra blocks for La Colombe over Starbucks.

And this whole exclusivity thing, yeah I see that's in OP's OP. But I wouldn't classify exclusivity as just celebrity chefs opening restaurants. Try getting a reservation at Talula's or Zahav. The waits for any restaurant around 13th/Sansom can be very long. That to me is exclusivity; restaurants that are so popular that reservations are nearly impossible and walk-ins wait a long time. I've walked into El Vez with a 2+ hour wait before on a nice Friday Summer night.

As for fine dining, I'm not as well versed in that area since I'd rather spend my money more wisely as a broke millennial.

Philly definitely wins in variety. While all cities listed have better food than most other cities in the county, Atlanta is known for Southern food, Seattle is known for Asian food, Phoenix is known for Mexican food, and Miami is known for Latin/Caribbean food. While Philly might not do all those types of food as well as those cities, it's likely the second best in each of those categories. Additionally, its Italian, Eastern European, and Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisine is better than any of the other cities.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
YES! La Colombe is my second favorite coffee chain after Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. I'll walk several extra blocks for La Colombe over Starbucks.

And this whole exclusivity thing, yeah I see that's in OP's OP. But I wouldn't classify exclusivity as just celebrity chefs opening restaurants. Try getting a reservation at Talula's or Zahav. The waits for any restaurant around 13th/Sansom can be very long. That to me is exclusivity; restaurants that are so popular that reservations are nearly impossible and walk-ins wait a long time. I've walked into El Vez with a 2+ hour wait before on a nice Friday Summer night.

As for fine dining, I'm not as well versed in that area since I'd rather spend my money more wisely as a broke millennial.

Philly definitely wins in variety. While all cities listed have better food than most other cities in the county, Atlanta is known for Southern food, Seattle is known for Asian food, Phoenix is known for Mexican food, and Miami is known for Latin/Caribbean food. While Philly might not do all those types of food as well as those cities, it's likely the second best in each of those categories. Additionally, its Italian, Eastern European, and Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisine is better than any of the other cities.
I’d argue that Seattle is known for both Asian food and arguably the best seafood in the country. It also has better Ethiopian restaurants (due to the high population of Ethiopian immigrants) than any of the other cities. In terms of Middle Eastern food Seattle is right there with Philly - Mamnoon, Cafe Munir, Aviv Hummus, Eggs and Plants, are all among the best Middle Eastern restaurants on the West Coast. And there are a ton of other places as well.

In terms of other cuisines that you wouldn’t normally associate Seattle with, the quality has increased dramatically over the last decade. Mexican food has gotten way better and there’s even high quality Chicago Style Pizza (Windy City Pie) and an award winning Soul Food restaurant (Junebaby - look it up) just as a few examples. Seattle also still has the best coffee and far more breweries than any of the other cities (although Philly is a great beer town too). And while Seattle doesn’t have a lot of what would be considered true fine dining (I’d say 5 or 6 that truly meet the definition) - just because the vibe is way too casual and egalitarian in most places - it has a ton of more casual upscale restaurants with a distinct brand of what most would call New American cuisine and strong cocktail programs (e.g. Sitka and Spruce, Terra Plata, Flint Creek, Art of the Table, etc.) and some really high quality local steakhouses (the Butchers Table is a new one that is getting national accolades).

In terms of variety, I really think Seattle has a strong case, although objectively it’s probably neck and neck with Philly.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 AM

5,640 posts, read 13,344,188 times
I would definitely say Philly #1 and Seattle a close second. They both are getting better equally though so I think it’ll stay that ranking. Miami would win for flashiness because everything about Miami is flashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or