U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city
Philly 43 47.25%
Atlanta 16 17.58%
Phoenix 3 3.30%
Seattle 14 15.38%
Miami 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,622,265 times

Advertisements

I still do not get why “flashy” detracts from a city, especially with top—not wannabe celebrity—chefs (like Thomas Keller of French Laundry and Per Se fame) and top NYC and highly touted foreign restaurants having a presence here by opening flagship—not just chain or watered down— restaurants...using “flash” logic, is LA—a top 3 or 4 food city—all sizzle and no steak also??

Miami is not just Latin cuisine either—great steak, Italian, seafood, Russian, one of the top 3 sushi restaurants in the entire country (NAOE), French—to go with awesome Peruvian (considered by many the best Latin/Latin-Asian fusion cuisine in the world), Spanish, Argentine, Brazilian, Cuban etc....Miami is light in terms of Asian (outside of Sushi and Thai) and Middle Eastern—but certainly not lacking an abundance of quality, including high end that can compete anywhere, restaurants by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I would definitely say Philly #1 and Seattle a close second. They both are getting better equally though so I think it’ll stay that ranking. Miami would win for flashiness because everything about Miami is flashy.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-09-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 01:03 PM

4,568 posts, read 2,540,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I still do not get why “flashy” detracts from a city, especially with top—not wannabe celebrity—chefs (like Thomas Keller of French Laundry and Per Se fame) and top NYC and highly touted foreign restaurants having a presence here by opening flagship—not just chain or watered down— restaurants...using “flash” logic, is LA—a top 3 or 4 food city—all sizzle and no steak also??
I mean I think flashiness is required to be a great restaurant/food city. We have plenty of restaurants that fit the description you keep describing. A perfect example is Tatel, a restaurant that currently only exists in Madrid and South Beach, is about to open a 3rd location around the corner from me. I didn’t read all your comments, but almost every chef/restaurant you have mentioned has done business in Philly. People are pretty excited about Jean-George’s new restaurant. It’s at the top of the new Four Seasons and provides full panoramic views of the city from over 900ft high.

In 2012, a lot of the French Laundry’s kitchen left California to try to save Philadelphia’s most famed french restaurant, Le Bec Fin. But it was a little too late.

Philly has also been able to produce a handful of our own ‘celeb’ chefs who have started their own empires and opened spots in Las Vegas, South Beach, etc.

The city has enough of its own food culture to have Philadelphia ‘themed’ restaurants in places like NY and London.

Netflix’s Ugly Delicious has an excellent episode this season about a Mexican restaurant in South Philly. It’s worth a watch.

Our casual eats are legendary. You can’t go a month without a national chain trying to promote some “Philly” product (I will never BK’s disgusting looking new Philly Whopper). What’s better than soft pretzels, pork roll,hoagies, water ice, and scrapple? Nothing

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-09-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 02:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,622,265 times
I love Starr’s restaurants here—he also has an Upland in NYC.

I am unfamiliar with Tatel—just checked Yelp and looks like the SoBe location temporarily closed. Couple of other great Spanish ones here are NIU Kitchen and Xixon. Bulla Gastrobar (expanding, now in Atlanta, Charlotte and Plano) is very good.

I am a huge fan of Jean-Georges...he had a J&G Grill at the St Regis Bal Harbour that closed but still has Matador—his first venture into Latin cuisine. Bet his one by you will be real good.

Vegas seems to have restaurants from the great food cities, as you mentioned. A couple of moderate priced, but good, Miami based ones are Sugarcane and Yardbird (southern cuisine)...Jose Mendin from our Pubbelly group has a couple of locations in the Caribbean. Broken Shaker, bar, opened up in NYC.

I’m from NY originally but moved here from San Diego—disappointing food scene there—compared to the bigger cities—and has some “name” chefs who gained their notoriety from pimping themselves on TV but are not in the same class of chefs you and I have discussed. I also love the steak scene here—not surprising given how demanding NY and Argentine transplants are towards their meat.

We should finally be getting a great Mexican restaurant here shortly called Pez, from Tijuana and Ensenada wine valley chef Javier Plasencia—cannot wait. The wines coming out of Valle Guadalupe are outstanding also.

I have not cooked since 1987 so without restaurants I would starve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I mean I think flashiness is required to be a great restaurant/food city. We have plenty of restaurants that fit the description you keep describing. A perfect example is Tatel, a restaurant that currently only exists in Madrid and South Beach, is about to open a 3rd location around the corner from me. I didn’t read all your comments, but almost every chef/restaurant you have mentioned has done business in Philly. People are pretty excited about Jean-George’s new restaurant. It’s at the top of the new Four Seasons and provides full panoramic views of the city from over 900ft high.

In 2012, a lot of the French Laundry’s kitchen left California to try to save Philadelphia’s most famed french restaurant, Le Bec Fin. But it was a little too late.

Philly has also been able to produce a handful of our own ‘celeb’ chefs who have started their own empires and opened spots in Las Vegas, South Beach, etc.

The city has enough of its own food culture to have Philadelphia ‘themed’ restaurants in places like NY and London.

Netflix’s Ugly Delicious has an excellent episode this season about a Mexican restaurant in South Philly. It’s worth a watch.

Our casual eats are legendary. You can’t go a month without a national chain trying to promote some “Philly” product (I will never BK’s disgusting looking new Philly Whopper). What’s better than soft pretzels, pork roll,hoagies, water ice, and scrapple? Nothing

Last edited by elchevere; 11-09-2018 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 808 times
Not even remotely a competition.

Philadelphia is a top 5 food city.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:01 PM

529 posts, read 207,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorsystemerror View Post
Not even remotely a competition.

Philadelphia is a top 5 food city.
Philly has the best combination of the three criteria the OP lists, but by no means is it the clear winner in terms of overall food city. In fact, many lists put Seattle higher:

https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/b...ns-in-the-usa/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zag...n-america-2017
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-foodie-cities/7522/

Old 11-10-2018, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Philly has the best combination of the three criteria the OP lists, but by no means is it the clear winner in terms of overall food city. In fact, many lists put Seattle higher:

[url]https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/best-foodie-destinations-in-the-usa/[/url]
[url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zagat.com/b/amp/30-most-exciting-food-cities-in-america-2017[/url]
[url]https://wallethub.com/edu/best-foodie-cities/7522/[/url]
Okay great, but what do those links have to do with me enjoying Philadelphia food more than the others?

Old 11-10-2018, 04:00 PM

529 posts, read 207,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorsystemerror View Post
Okay great, but what do those links have to do with me enjoying Philadelphia food more than the others?
I was responding to you saying “it’s not even remotely a competition”.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I was responding to you saying “it’s not even remotely a competition”.
Right. It’s not.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 255 times
I lived in Miami about ten years ago. The fresh seafood and the year round fresh vegetables due to the coastal location and tropical climate are a huge appeal to me. I'll never forget them.

Old Today, 02:19 PM

11,273 posts, read 5,813,243 times
Fine dining is overrated, I think what really sets great cities apart are variety, quality of mid-range restaurants, and the uniqueness of what you can get
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or