U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

816 posts, read 188,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Better value with the house itself, but worse sprawl and way more strip malls. I'm sure Atlanta posters will try to deflect on this and say that DMV has the same thing, but it's no comparison. DMV is probably the best example of TOD-suburbs in the U.S., but you pay for what you get.
Deflection means not accepting there is more urbanity in DC.Who could deny that but exaggeration as you just did is not any better.
There are less options in the suburbs for livng a comparable life as in DC and almost none when you consider transits alone.
You make it seem that in these suburbs the very notion that strip malls exist that you somehow must live near one where you cant get a walkable dense area.
Suburban areas like Alpharetta(Avalon and Downtown),Downtown Woodstock,Smyrna and some like Downtowns of Decatur ,College Park and East point of some semblance of what is offered in DC.

I think most people are realistic that cities like DC will most certainly offer more and you will pay dearly for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

17 posts, read 1,883 times
The thing about DC is I think most people move there for high end professional jobs. My medical biller and coder classes are online and I plan to work remotely so I can pretty much live anywhere. I'm not moving for work but a better place to live, weather, diversity, safety, a better education for my kid, better healthcare and overall better quality of life. So it's like would I even fit in in DC and do I need to deal with all that when I'm not moving for career purposes? The location seems to be the only plus. I'm looking more at Raleigh though. We also have allergies and I've read that ATL and DC are bad for allergies and Raleigh isn't.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

17 posts, read 1,883 times
Does anyone know how to edit the thread and change the title so I can add Raleigh?

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

936 posts, read 444,863 times
DC is more complete as a city and metro than ATL. It's the capital so it goes without saying. I'm from ATL so there's no hate my way. ATL is more affordable but as ATL continue to grow as a city and metro, the affordability will increase naturally. DC should win the poll rightfully so.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

594 posts, read 431,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Not to mention the better economy and workforce. Atlanta is ok if you are looking for affordability and newer homes, but DC is so much better because what you mentioned. There are affordable places in the area but you may have to give up on distance, good schools, or size.
Oh, Iím not disputing that overall DC is the more solid metro, but when factoring in costs. Atlanta wins. Itís not like it is Atlanta vs NYC/LA. Thereís not that much of day-to-day difference.

And Iíd still say Atlanta wins in term of non-government related events. Itís a hotter city in that regard.

And better economy? Atlanta has a very diverse economy, so while it is smaller, itís not necessarily worse.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

21,030 posts, read 33,024,993 times
I lived in DC and Atlanta. I'll just cut to the chase and say that Atlanta is so much easier a place in which to live.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

27,834 posts, read 24,901,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielJ View Post
The thing about DC is I think most people move there for high end professional jobs. My medical biller and coder classes are online and I plan to work remotely so I can pretty much live anywhere. I'm not moving for work but a better place to live, weather, diversity, safety, a better education for my kid, better healthcare and overall better quality of life. So it's like would I even fit in in DC and do I need to deal with all that when I'm not moving for career purposes? The location seems to be the only plus. I'm looking more at Raleigh though. We also have allergies and I've read that ATL and DC are bad for allergies and Raleigh isn't.
May I ask, why aren't you looking at cities closer to home? I'm more than certain that metros like Columbus, Indianapolis, etc would meet your needs.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,149,613 times
I liked the people in Atlanta more than anything. Definitely friendly and down to earth but overall, I prefer DC for a myriad of reasons.

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

330 posts, read 159,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Oh, I’m not disputing that overall DC is the more solid metro, but when factoring in costs. Atlanta wins. It’s not like it is Atlanta vs NYC/LA. There’s not that much of day-to-day difference.

And I’d still say Atlanta wins in term of non-government related events. It’s a hotter city in that regard.

And better economy? Atlanta has a very diverse economy, so while it is smaller, it’s not necessarily worse.
I'd agree with this. I mean in your day-to-day life, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much difference between the two. But the COL is THE major difference, and that swings in Atlanta's favor.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,496 posts, read 3,028,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
I'd agree with this. I mean in your day-to-day life, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much difference between the two. But the COL is THE major difference, and that swings in Atlanta's favor.
Oh it undoubtedly does, but if COL were the only issue, Atlanta would be the only major metro in the US that people move to. Plus the OP states verbatim "I'm not willing to sacrifice happiness or sanity (traffic, crime) for a cheap place to live".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or