U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:46 PM

14 posts, read 1,883 times

Advertisements

Hello. I need some assistance I have a last minute move and am having trouble deciding between ATL or the DMV area. I'm looking at the Cobb County area in ATL and either Germantown MD or Prince George County MD. I've never been to DC I've only been to ATL once when I was younger and stayed in the downtown area my whole visit so really doesn't help. Don't really have time to visit which is making it extremely hard. I know both places have traffic and a weather difference but other than that is there a reason why I should avoid one or the other completely? I'm a single mother need a diverse area with good schools with performing arts. I'm a hairdresser and work from home on the side so job location isn't an issue. Not into heavy traffic or crazy reckless drivers so a good safe suburb where I can avoid it most times while being close enough to major cities for entertainment. The biggest differences so far are distance and home prices. I'll be renting for now but do plan to buy a home in the future. Coming from one of the most inexpensive places to live in the world in Ohio home prices in the DMV area are unsettling and they're way less nice than ATL. I love that DC is centrally located and not a far drive from home if I ever miss it. Im introverted and like peace and quiet most times and I've read that in the DMV area it feels like people are on top of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 PM

998 posts, read 502,180 times
ATL sounds like a good fit for you. Lower cost of living and traffic isn't as terrible as DC, depending on where you are and what your commute is. A lot of people from DC move to ATL because it's less hectic. Plenty of good suburbs around ATL that fit what you're looking for. I have friends who live in Smyrna with their 3 little kids and love it. Very pleased with the school system.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 845,038 times
Moving to either of these cities last min without a plan is a bad idea. Atlanta isn't as cheap as it used to be.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 1,057,330 times
Atlanta. Noticeably less expensive.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Moving to either of these cities last min without a plan is a bad idea. Atlanta isn't as cheap as it used to be.
Trust me I know but this is sort of an emergency move and I just feel like my next move has to be my best. Luckily I have a HCV that can assist me with rent until I finish school. I'll be working from home after I finish in about 4 months plus hairdressing on the side so I think I'll be ok financially.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

99 posts, read 117,525 times
I would do Maryland. Either Germantown or Prince George's. Much more walkable. Excellent public transportation. Better schools and much more liberal. Georgia is too racist and backwards.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

801 posts, read 188,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I would do Maryland. Either Germantown or Prince George's. Much more walkable. Excellent public transportation. Better schools and much more liberal. Georgia is too racist and backwards.
You shouldn't be so ignorant on a public forum.You are not making yourself look good.Ignorance is not always bliss you know?
Wow just look at all your posting history.You created a profile just to bash a city you left.Atlanta.
Something aint right with you.lol

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

I plan to go to the DMV area this weekend to check it out. Lots of people are saying ATL it's not what its cracked up to be and that it's much different from the outside looking in.

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

593 posts, read 430,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielJ View Post
I plan to go to the DMV area this weekend to check it out. Lots of people are saying ATL it's not what its cracked up to be and that it's much different from the outside looking in.
Charlotte485 is that you?

Anyway, I’d go with Atlanta, DC doesn’t offer enough for the discrepancies in the COL between the two metros.

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Charlotte485 is that you?

Anyway, I’d go with Atlanta, DC doesn’t offer enough for the discrepancies in the COL between the two metros.

What is Charlotte485?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or