U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best combo. of urbanity and outdoor recreation?
San Francisco 6 8.96%
Seattle 14 20.90%
Los Angeles 17 25.37%
Vancouver 4 5.97%
Portland 2 2.99%
San Diego 6 8.96%
Denver 6 8.96%
Other 12 17.91%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:09 PM

2,358 posts, read 1,092,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Who swims in the ocean anyway? I rarely see anyone swim in the ocean in real life. Mostly I see surfing and splashing around and even the splashing around is mostly kids. I do recall an LA versus Miami beaches thread and many that picked Miami said that they swim in the ocean often, but I personally never see it that often on either coast.
You seem to want to lessen every other city mentioned ..... all deserve mention of assets. Yes all should agree LA region has it all. But again these other cities can too a great share and in withing its city limits a plus as that IS WHERE URBANITY IS MOST. Climate and weather was not mentioned.
Quote:
Staten Island isn’t preserved nature though. It’s a landfill that nature grew on top of. And it’s hardly comparable to nice outdoors areas of the US.
The OP did not say only fully set aside Natural refuge areas or un-tweeked and not more created by man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
1. San Francisco
2. Seattle
3. Los Angeles
4. Vancouver(Canada)
5. Portland
6. San Diego
7. Denver
8. Other

Remember, urbanity and city life must be as important as nature and outdoor recreation.
Many cities used landfill. Boston to NYC to Chicago. Chicago even as 1000 miles from a ocean. But still on a virtual inland sea of Lake Michigan. Since NYC was brought in and under -- other mentioned .... Chicago had to recreate a whole new shoreline once lost to unregulated industrialization and originally being marshy. I'm sure you will note weather restricts more in a true winter city. But not in the criteria.

Chicago can still provide today Nature refuge habitats to parkland, harbors and beaches along 26-miles in the city. Not forested trails of course, or being other then flat. But the lakefront alone ..... provides lots of trails.

Being --- man-made clearly added to its urban setting and makes the most of its Lakefront its WHOLE CORE and length of the city is along. Most of the city .... you are not more then like 15 miles from the lake. O'Hare is 12-miles on its northeastern edge.

But I'd think much smaller cities where its Natural recreational features are a key to its economy are true examples of equally important urbanity and city-life to Nature and recreation. I think of Aspen, CO.

In most large cities .... our everyday like is busy working and going on with life. To utilize It's recreational parks and nearby assets for daily use. But at least in a large city like Chicago. Those living within a couple miles of its lakefront especially .... can and do utilize it much more frequently in jogging and biking alone.

I will add as for swimming along its beaches and lakefront. It also has under-currents you need to be aware of. Only the busiest beaches have lifeguards.

Really though, MAN-MADE .... clearly can add to the outdoors features of a URBAN SETTING , trails for jogs, biking and beaches. In a URBAN SETTING they are clearly still appreciated. As man tweaks everything anyway.

Just one beach on Chicago's lakefront. Not a busy one this day.
- Over Montrose beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VU0wabQHIs

Always love this video of Chicago's busiest beach. Plenty in the water here. But swimming if shallow for a longer stretch and busy .... isn't likely. Areas you can jump into deeper parts you might see more swimming.... but not in open waters unless a pro.

This time very busy beach scene. A favorite video I used before. 2-years old now.
- Over North Ave. beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

***This NEWSCAST VIDEO from 2017. PROVES TIMES OCCUR Chicago issues SWIMMING BANS due to Lake waves of higher periods. TWO SWIMMERS KIILLED HERE in a 24-hr period.

But also SHOWS SWIMMERS IN LAKE in downtown Chicago. Despite the ban at that time and many unknowingly they shouldn't be there.
- On Oak St beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2engoMn3U

Last edited by DavePa; Today at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:00 PM

2,590 posts, read 3,348,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You seem to want to lessen every other city mentioned ..... all deserve mention of assets. Yes all should agree LA region has it all. But again these other cities can too a great share and in withing its city limits a plus as that IS WHERE URBANITY IS MOST. Climate and weather was not mentioned.
I think that these are great choices and I didnít mean to lessen any city. Well maybe Staten Island because I grew up near there and think that itís crazy that itís being mentioned along with the other cities. Lol.

I didnít even vote for LA. Iím not a water person or a beach person. I like the outdoors and LA has an abundance but I prefer more trees and less mountains. Iím more Appalachian trail than pacific crest trail.

But these are subjective. We donít have to agree. To each his own.

Old Today, 09:02 PM

20,294 posts, read 21,867,833 times
Quote:
I think that these are great choices and I didn’t mean to lessen any city. Well maybe Staten Island because I grew up near there and think that it’s crazy that it’s being mentioned along with the other cities. Lol.

I didn’t even vote for LA. I’m not a water person or a beach person. I like the outdoors and LA has an abundance but I prefer more trees and less mountains. I’m more Appalachian trail than pacific crest trail.

But these are subjective. We don’t have to agree. To each his own.
Well, closing down and covering over a 2200 acre landfill in Staten Island really makes things a lot nicer, y'know?

I don't live on Staten Island, but I do think it's really nice and green these days. Great Sri Lankan and Italian-American food to boot. It's a funny little daytrip for someone living in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or